Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 16:27   #81
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
Check back a few threads for the video of the La state senator arguing against teaching evolution in the classroom.
That's a wish, not an accomplishment. We all know that's not a populist view, and it would never hold up in court.

Any examples of it being done, and actually tolerated?
Old 01-30-2013, 16:28   #82
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
Perhaps I'm being too technical with the Christians invading science classes. I mean I guess it could have happened but I don't recall a bunch of looney creationists invading a classroom where evolution was being taught and it sure as heck (if you believe in that) doesn't happen on a regular basis.
If that's the analogy you are going with (literally invading a classroom to disrupt the teaching of evolution) then that is not happening here either. This is a general religious issues forum open to anyone with an opinion on religion. That's what it was founded as. In order for your analogy to be accurate then we (atheists) would have to be invading a church or bible study session to disrupt creationism being tuaght. That's not happening, not even close, so I fail to see where your point is valid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-30-2013, 16:31   #83
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Atheism > atheistic agnostic > Agnostic < theistic agnostic < Theist.

Threads like this make it so clear.
Old 01-30-2013, 16:32   #84
Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
If that's the analogy you are going with (literally invading a classroom to disrupt the teaching of evolution) then that is not happening here either. This is a general religious issues forum open to anyone with an opinion on religion. That's what it was founded as. In order for your analogy to be accurate then we (atheists) would have to be invading a church or bible study session to disrupt creationism being tuaght. That's not happening, not even close, so I fail to see where your point is valid.
I'm just replying to one of you'lls comments about how we invade science class.

The invasion comment didn't actually apply to the analogy in the paragraph below that. Perhaps I should just speak in generalities?
Old 01-30-2013, 16:49   #85
Woofie
CLM Number 293
Disirregardless

Send a message via AIM to Woofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
That's a wish, not an accomplishment. We all know that's not a populist view, and it would never hold up in court.

Any examples of it being done, and actually tolerated?
It's an attempt to remove sound science from the classroom. It was opposed by people better educated than the senator.

Do we need to wait until our guns are confiscated before we push back against gun control? Should we wait until our kids all think Jesus rode a Brontosaurus before we worry about whose agenda is being discussed in the government?

"I don't need to figure probabilities, and I don't need facts." JBnTx

"Maybe they should drink like Woofie and come up with pure brilliance." OXCOPS

"Woofie is the only smart one around here." Photoman642
Old 01-30-2013, 17:03   #86
ArtificialGrape
CLM Number 265
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Look who's talking about being believable! Stop trying to figure me out, or to ascribe YOUR OWN MOTIVATIONS to me. You don't have what it takes to understand someone like me. You only think that you do. Any intellectual assertions I've made have been referenced to, and supported by Sacred Scripture. You on the other hand are, as usual, merely vituperating and, 'flying by the seat of your pants'.
I certainly wouldn't waste my time trying to figure you out. I'm merely pointing out the frequency with which you post "going to hell" type messages, and that the righteous should delight with God in what He will do to the wicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
(Gee, I wonder where you're going to land; or, for the matter, how hard?)
Oh no, oh no, anywhere but a fictional hell.

Cheers.
-ArtificialGrape
Old 01-30-2013, 17:26   #87
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofie View Post
It's an attempt to remove sound science from the classroom. It was opposed by people better educated than the senator.

Do we need to wait until our guns are confiscated before we push back against gun control? Should we wait until our kids all think Jesus rode a Brontosaurus before we worry about whose agenda is being discussed in the government?
And there are some that think all other religious beliefs are a scourge on the human race that must be eliminated if we are ever to be truly free.

You'll always be able to point to a fringe element that wants something, but what is likely and what is actually happening is what you have to really combat. If you survey all humanity, you will find truly unique people, and they are utterly alone in their extremism. Taking great efforts to combat them might be a little too much to combat a little too little.

But back to the point, where is christianity actually invading science classrooms and excluding science in a public school? Is the battle against a non-existent enemy?
Old 01-30-2013, 17:38   #88
Cavalry Doc
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtificialGrape View Post
I certainly wouldn't waste my time trying to figure you out. I'm merely pointing out the frequency with which you post "going to hell" type messages, and that the righteous should delight with God in what He will do to the wicked.

Oh no, oh no, anywhere but a fictional hell.

Cheers.
-ArtificialGrape

To piggyback on your point, this is not directed to you.

Arcangel,

You invite extremism if you practice it. I'll not pretend to be a bible scholar, but I'm pretty sure there is a strong lesson about not judging others in life, lest you be judged in life. Vengance is for god, not man. The first one I completely agree with. You can believe what you want, and even describe why in a respectful manner, and that covers your requirement to proselytize. After that, let it go. You've accomplished your requirement for informed consent.

I completely understand your striking back. The fact is that if vengeance is only for god, my feelings are, in certain circumstances, and under the proper legal rules of engagement, to potentially expedite that meeting, with extreme prejudice. But that's a whole other topic for a whole other forum, under circumstances that most would find very unfamiliar.

I have no problem with people believing in any god that they want to. I have no problem with people believing that there has never been a god. As one that admits I don't know, both are just about equally as possible.

I have a problem with poor manners though. I have no problem with responding in kind.

I think we would all be better off being well mannered and respectful, but face it, that's not gonna happen around here with some posters.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 01-30-2013 at 17:44..

Closed Thread