Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2013, 21:17   #1
ithaca_deerslayer

Kimber compact CDP II questions

Just dreaming here, and playing the game of the ultimate carry pistol within NYS' insane new laws, what do you think of the Kimber compact. Any other compact 1911's I should compare it too?

Anyone have one? Know of comparison pics to a Glock 36? Or next to a 26?

I'm not buying anytime soon, just always figuring in my head that next gun

The compact has a 1/2" shorter grip, takes a 7 round mag, and has a 4" barrel. Also aluminum frame. Currently in 1911, I have a full size aluminum Taurus 1911 rail (I carry a 26), and the wife has an EMP 9.

For deer hunting backup, would the Kimber or a Glock 36 typically handle hotter loads safely, or no difference between them?

On paper I like the idea of the compact size, definitely the 7-round mags, and the 4" barrel seems a better idea than 3" for velocity, quieter, less recoil, better sight radius, and probably still carries ok

Old 01-28-2013, 10:24   #2
Climb14er

I recently purchased a Dan Wesson CCO, commander slide on a lightweight officer's frame... for the very reason of .45ACP in a compact 6-7 round mag.

Been looking for an older Kimber Series I compact but couldn't find any that I liked!

The Dan Wesson is being broken-in at the moment and have 400 rounds of 230gr FMJ flawless! Will start shooting JHP's the next range session. This will be my new CCW as soon as I can get some good leather. A G19 is my current CCW and has been for seven years... that I like a real lot!

The CCO is an excellent pistol!
Old 01-28-2013, 17:51   #3
ithaca_deerslayer

Is there a generic description for having a commander slide on an officer frame?

Old 01-28-2013, 17:59   #4
ancient_serpent

I carry a Kimber Pro CDP II, been a great gun. As accurate as I want, no reliability problems. I use Wilson 47D magazines, a Milt Sparks holster and a Galco magazine carrier , great carry package.
ancient_serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 19:35   #5
bac1023

I carry a Pro CDP II nearly every day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:13   #6
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I carry a Pro CDP II nearly every day.
That kills it. There's no way I'm going to carry the same gun bac does. I'm not ready for that kind of style. I better stick with something black, plastic, and 9mm

Any thoughts about the strength between a 1911 and a 36, as far as loads? Probably a non-issue.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:45   #7
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Anyone have one? Know of comparison pics to a Glock 36? Or next to a 26?

....would the Kimber or a Glock 36 typically handle hotter loads safely, or no difference between them?
I have both. Usually carry the Glock 36, although sometimes the Kimber CDP Compact.

Don't have comparison pics, but here are dimensions for you.

Overall length for Kimber is 7-11/16" including beavertail.

Overall length for Glock 36 is 6-13/16".

Overall height for Kimber is 5-1/4" with stock nite sights.

Overall height for Glock 36 is 4-3/4" with stock nite sights.

Magazine in gun for both height measurements.

Overall weight loaded Kimber w/Federal 165's using Wilson 7 round mag w/thin steel base is 34 oz. One in chamber.

Overall weight loaded Glock 36 w/Federal 165's stock 6 round mag with Pearce +0 base is 27 oz. One in chamber.

Glock barrel is slightly shorter. 3.78" vs. 4.00.

Carrying Glock with stock mag with Pearce has a similar effect as a Bobbed 1911, since there is no sharp corner. With the Glock the back up mag has a Pearce +1 for 7 rounds. I also added a Wolff +10% extra power mag spring for that mag.

As you would expect the Kimber probably has slighly less felt recoil being a heavier gun, but not a lot. I'm not too sensitive to recoil, so I may not be the best judge.

Either will handle hot loads. I run 230 ball for practice, but have been using the Federal 165 Personal Defense PD45HS3H which they claim runs at 1060. Not sure of bbl length for test, but likely 5". This stuff has been 100% reliable in both guns.

The G36 may be problematic for some shooters, but I guess a 4" 1911 could be too. My 36 has been good for 12 years. Just carried it yesterday when I was out and about.

As said I will carry both, but for grab and go, I generally reach for the G36. Lighter, smaller, not too concerned about beating it up, and still 45.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member

Last edited by ipscshooter; 01-29-2013 at 12:49.. Reason: add mag in gun
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:13   #8
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

The Compact CDP is virtually the same height and length of a G30 with the 10 round mag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 13:41   #9
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Is there a generic description for having a commander slide on an officer frame?

Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:15   #10
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipscshooter View Post
I have both. Usually carry the Glock 36, although sometimes the Kimber CDP Compact.

Don't have comparison pics, but here are dimensions for you.

Overall length for Kimber is 7-11/16" including beavertail.

Overall length for Glock 36 is 6-13/16".

Overall height for Kimber is 5-1/4" with stock nite sights.

Overall height for Glock 36 is 4-3/4" with stock nite sights.

Magazine in gun for both height measurements.

Overall weight loaded Kimber w/Federal 165's using Wilson 7 round mag w/thin steel base is 34 oz. One in chamber.

Overall weight loaded Glock 36 w/Federal 165's stock 6 round mag with Pearce +0 base is 27 oz. One in chamber.

Glock barrel is slightly shorter. 3.78" vs. 4.00.

Carrying Glock with stock mag with Pearce has a similar effect as a Bobbed 1911, since there is no sharp corner. With the Glock the back up mag has a Pearce +1 for 7 rounds. I also added a Wolff +10% extra power mag spring for that mag.

As you would expect the Kimber probably has slighly less felt recoil being a heavier gun, but not a lot. I'm not too sensitive to recoil, so I may not be the best judge.

Either will handle hot loads. I run 230 ball for practice, but have been using the Federal 165 Personal Defense PD45HS3H which they claim runs at 1060. Not sure of bbl length for test, but likely 5". This stuff has been 100% reliable in both guns.

The G36 may be problematic for some shooters, but I guess a 4" 1911 could be too. My 36 has been good for 12 years. Just carried it yesterday when I was out and about.

As said I will carry both, but for grab and go, I generally reach for the G36. Lighter, smaller, not too concerned about beating it up, and still 45.
Awesome post.

How come you don't carry a 7 round mag in the 36, or do you? I think you are saying your 7 is the spare. And when you say the 36 is problematic for some, do you mean recoil or reliabilty?

Do you get all fingers on the Kimber, or do you curl 1 under?

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 01-29-2013 at 18:32..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53   #11
38 Super Fan

I carry a CDP compact, good gun.
38 Super Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58   #12
ipscshooter
Mostly IDPA now

Quote:
Awesome post.

How come you don't carry a 7 round mag in the 36, or do you? I think you are saying your 7 is the spare. And when you say the 36 is problematic for some, do you mean recoil or reliabilty?

Do you get all fingers on the Kimber, or do you curl 1 under?

The grip length from the bottom of the trigger guard is real close to being identical on both guns. I.E. I can get a full grip on both guns. However, to achevieve this on the G36 the 6 round mag must be in. Not so on CDP.

Hope that makes sense.

I will add that if you go for G36 and the stock 6 round mag, ABSOLUTLEY, get a Pearce +0 base. The stock one from Glock, at least the ones I have, are just awful. You can shoot with them, but they are no where near the level of Pearce. The Glock ones don't blend with the front strap and tend to pinch some shooters. They are almost like they were designed for another gun.

By problematic, I mean the gun is light and suspectible to limp wristing, as are many short barrel light pistols. Mine is one of the early ones, being made in 2000. According to internet lore these early guns had problems. Not so for me.

One additional note. My G36 is stock with the exception of the magazine mods I mentioned, and the addition of some Decal Grip grip tape. No extended this, that, and the other stuff. No screwing with recoils springs etc. BONE STOCK and it works everytime.
NRA Life,USPSA Life,IDPA Member

Last edited by ipscshooter; 01-30-2013 at 13:00..
ipscshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 18:41   #13
SpringerTGO

I know this will get me in trouble, because a lot of experienced people here carry compact Kimbers, but here goes.
My Super Carry Ultra was unreliable. After 2 months in the shop, it came back with the same problems. You will probably read about more issues with small Kimbers than all other Kimbers combined.
You may get a good one, but it's hit and miss.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:34   #14
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipscshooter View Post

The grip length from the bottom of the trigger guard is real close to being identical on both guns. I.E. I can get a full grip on both guns. However, to achevieve this on the G36 the 6 round mag must be in. Not so on CDP.

Hope that makes sense.
Yeah, I think so, cause the mag adds length on the 36, but the Kimber mag doesn't. If I got that right

Old 01-30-2013, 20:36   #15
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
I know this will get me in trouble.
No trouble. Lots of guns are a roll of the dice or else some tweaking needed. It is a question of the odds.

Old 01-31-2013, 17:57   #16
Lew-G17

The Kimber CDP Compact is one of the best pistols built by Kimber. Great choice for an all around carry pistol. I like the style so much I had an Aigis Pro converted to the same size by shortening the grip. Definately one of my favorite pistols.

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 18:08   #17
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
Been looking for an older Kimber Series I compact but couldn't find any that I liked!
I like them. Here is mine with the gun it replaced

1911 Forums
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote