Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2013, 08:26   #34
Ladd Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post
Here's a link so you can see some photos.

http://www.coldborecustom.com/
Beautiful work. I'm amazed at how affordable his services are, especially given the quality of the workmanship. I can see why there's a line out the door for his grip work...

When I started working on my Glocks back in the early 2000s, there really weren't many guys doing this, and the few that were wanted a lot of $ for simple grip improvements.

I've done a couple dozen customizations of weapons with polymer frames, and the Glock's nylon6 was one of the easiest/most forgiving to start out with.

I don't see how Lane does the work he does, while charging such modest fees. At a minimum, it takes four/five hours to remove the finger grooves, remove the backstrap hump (requires epoxy fill work, and the epoxy isn't cheap), do a full, 360 degree texturing, paint, etc. Plus, he's paying for the return shipping??

Wow.

If he'd been available, back when, I'd never have gotten started.

I will say -- for guys who'd like to do simple stuff to make their Glocks more comfortable to shoot (e.g., easing/raising the sharp outside corners on strong-side of the trigger guard) -- that a cordless Dremel and inexpensive Radio Shack soldering iron, plus some fine-grit sandpaper and automotive polish -- can be all the kit you need to improve the comfort and shootability of your polymer-grip weapons.

I have a feeling that Lane is either going to have to raise his pricing, soon, or hire some additional help. The wait times eventually become an issue for customers, I'd imagine.

To bring this back into thread focus, I'll add that grip improvements to the Glock 20 have been pretty key, for me -- especially with the long slide --- because the gun is somewhat nose-heavy, and this makes for trigger guard and grip discomfort, without some enhancements. Hope to get a review from you, when you get your G20 back from Lane.
Ladd Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote