Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 20:21   #1
meathead19

Winchester 9mm JHP

Finally rec'd my order.

Anyone have experience with these?

I don't and haven't fired any yet.

Last edited by meathead19; 02-04-2013 at 18:20..
meathead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37   #2
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Not those, specifically, but I've not had problems with other variants of Winchester's 9mm ammo. Seems pretty good stuff.

I like their NATO 125gr RN for target work.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51   #3
bear62

Not bad stuff.........
bear62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:56   #4
SCmasterblaster

Winchester makes excellent ammo. I'd trust it.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24   #5
M 7

The Winchester white box 115 gr JHPs use the same bullet as the 9mm 115 gr. Silvertip does (obviously it isn't plated) which used to be law enforcement ammo years ago.

I'd carry it without a worry.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47   #6
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M 7 View Post
The Winchester white box 115 gr JHPs use the same bullet as the 9mm 115 gr. Silvertip does (obviously it isn't plated) which used to be law enforcement ammo years ago.

I'd carry it without a worry.

I believe it uses the same bullet as the Ranger RA9MMJHP & RA9115HP, the latter being a +p+ load.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54   #7
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I believe it uses the same bullet as the Ranger RA9MMJHP & RA9115HP, the latter being a +p+ load.
I have Winchester 115gr JHP +p+ in my G17 on me right now.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:27   #8
meathead19

Good info......Thanks.
Old 01-31-2013, 13:29   #9
fastbolt

Generic old-style JHP they've made for many years.

I'd not be surprised to find that it might produce velocities toward the lower end of the typical velocity range for a standard pressure 115gr load (being their bargain priced load).

Think of it, if you will, as "Retro-Style" 9mm defensive ammo.

I think I still have some left over from training/practice from previous years, as well as some of the 147gr JHP from their Duty/USA line, both of which I keep set aside for range ammo (when the +P range ammo runs low, or I don't want to run a lot of +P or +P+ loads through a particular gun).

I'd rather use it than FMJ.

However, I'd also rather use any of the more modern hollowpoint loads, made by any of the major American ammo makers, given a choice.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 01-31-2013 at 13:31..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 15:56   #10
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
I also use the same bullet with target hand loads that I tuned specifically for various guns.

I carried as duty ammo the RA9115HP+ and the 9BPLE back in the hay day of light and fast loads. Right now I actually have the XM9001 loaded in my CW9. Velocity wise it is very near the two +P+ loads but does not have as much pressure.

I will change that out to the new version of the RA9B once it comes out.
Old 01-31-2013, 15:59   #11
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post

I'd not be surprised to find that it might produce velocities toward the lower end of the typical velocity range for a standard pressure 115gr load (being their bargain priced load).

I think I still have some left over from training/practice from previous years, as well as some of the 147gr JHP from their Duty/USA line, both of which I keep set aside for range ammo (when the +P range ammo runs low, or I don't want to run a lot of +P or +P+ loads through a particular gun).

However, I'd also rather use any of the more modern hollowpoint loads, made by any of the major American ammo makers, given a choice.
Regarding old style - there's nothing wrong with old styles if they work. The 230gr FMJRN .45 ACP is over a hundred years old and it works just fine today. So I can rely on a 30-year-old bullet design for 9mm.
Old 01-31-2013, 17:33   #12
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Quote:

Kinda like the Federal LE9. For use in older guns.
Old 01-31-2013, 20:38   #13
kaech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
I have Winchester 115gr JHP +p+ in my G17 on me right now.
YOU DONT SAY:rolleyes:
Old 01-31-2013, 20:50   #14
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpig View Post
...I will change that out to the new version of the RA9B once it comes out.

Out of curiousity, why? I fiigured you'd be on board with the new 124 gr. +p T Series, which by the way is IMO the same damn thing as their 127 gr. +p+. They chrono the same.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 21:18   #15
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
Regarding old style - there's nothing wrong with old styles if they work.
There's the rub.

If you're hoping for the optimal chance for consistent and robust expansion under difficult conditions, using standard pressure 9mm JHP's, the old style 115gr loads might not be the best choice.

Each of the major American ammo makers offer hollowpoint 9mm bullets of improved design, which offer better potential optimal "performance" under a wider variety of conditions, than the older style hollowpoints.

Of course, the smaller nose cavity openings of the older style 115gr bullets offered by Win, Rem & Fed could offer better potential feeding in older pistols in which the longer, and/or wider nose cavity, bullets might not feed as consistently well.

No guarantees with any of it, though.

I've carried old-style JHPs in my 9's, .40's & .45's and not lost sleep over doing so. I just prefer the better designed versions when given a choice.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 01-31-2013 at 21:21..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 23:53   #16
unit1069

Quote:
Each of the major American ammo makers offer hollowpoint 9mm bullets of improved design, which offer better potential optimal "performance" under a wider variety of conditions, than the older style hollowpoints.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08   #17
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaech View Post
YOU DONT SAY:rolleyes:
I DO say so. My G17 is loaded with WW 115gr JHP +p+ loads.

Last edited by SCmasterblaster; 02-02-2013 at 13:06..
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10   #18
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
There's the rub.

If you're hoping for the optimal chance for consistent and robust expansion under difficult conditions, using standard pressure 9mm JHP's, the old style 115gr loads might not be the best choice.

Of course, the smaller nose cavity openings of the older style 115gr bullets offered by Win, Rem & Fed could offer better potential feeding in older pistols in which the longer, and/or wider nose cavity, bullets might not feed as consistently well.

No guarantees with any of it, though.

I've carried old-style JHPs in my 9's, .40's & .45's and not lost sleep over doing so. I just prefer the better designed versions when given a choice.
My old style 115gr JHPs are driven to +p+ velocities in my G17 4.5-inch barrel. THAT ought to open them up.
Old 02-01-2013, 23:12   #19
clinttho

. I carried silver tips at the advice of a popular gun writer/expert when I first got my Glock 27 and 23. they're the same design as wwb hp. After a lot of research I switched to gold dots and feel much more confident and safe knowing the rounds will perform as intended more reliably than old tech sd ammo. I still have several boxes of the silvertip ammo in case I run out of range ammo or use my gold dots up and cannot get anything else.

My advice is use them til you can find 124g gold dots, ranger or HST ammo then switch. These are more proven designs that are more likely to be effective against an attacker if you ever need to use your weapon. The new high tech hp rounds are the best you can buy and not that much more costly. Just an opinion. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying those knowing better rounds are out there on the shelves (even in this panic buying market I've seen 9mm gold dot, ranger, golden saber ammo in 124/147g weights online and in stores at decent prices.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18   #20
meathead19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinttho View Post
. I carried silver tips at the advice of a popular gun writer/expert when I first got my Glock 27 and 23. they're the same design as wwb hp. After a lot of research I switched to gold dots and feel much more confident and safe knowing the rounds will perform as intended more reliably than old tech sd ammo. I still have several boxes of the silvertip ammo in case I run out of range ammo or use my gold dots up and cannot get anything else.

My advice is use them til you can find 124g gold dots, ranger or HST ammo then switch. These are more proven designs that are more likely to be effective against an attacker if you ever need to use your weapon. The new high tech hp rounds are the best you can buy and not that much more costly. Just an opinion. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying those knowing better rounds are out there on the shelves (even in this panic buying market I've seen 9mm gold dot, ranger, golden saber ammo in 124/147g weights online and in stores at decent prices.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Good points.....Thanks.