SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:31   #41
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
I'm curious at the time you were swearing on the phone were you also threatening or intimidating someone? I know if I was the one that approved carry permits I would have issue with making threats or intimidation./
LOL ok I'll explain. I wasn't threatening anybody or trying to intimidate anyone.

Its a long story but here goes.. About 7 years ago, I was stopped at a railroad track, about 5 cars back.

The train passed by, the gates went up, and the 4 people in front of me crossed. Now, the location of the railroad tracks makes it IMPOSSIBLE to see if it's clear in both directions, until you are actually ON the track, due to a huge building to the right.

The car I was driving at the time was a straight-up BEATER. lol literally falling apart.

So anyway, I'm coming up to the railroad tracks to cross, and the gate comes down and busts my windshield. Turns out, there was a 2nd train about 50 feet behind the first one.

In my opinion, the gate never should have went up in the first place. But that isn't important.

I got a police report, I took photos of the damage, I sent in a copy of my insurance policy, my drivers license, a written statement as to what happened, literally everything they asked for - and I sent it to the train company's insurance department.

I just wanted to be reimbursed a measly $190 for a new windshield. Nothing more.

So anyway, I get a letter from the insurance department a week later, saying that it was my fault, and I shouldn't have been trying to out-run the train.

I flipped. If you could see that old car, you would understand why. That thing wasn't outrunning a yugo, let alone a train.

So I made the stupid decision to call the insurance department, and since nobody answered, I left a voicemail. Yep... stupid move.

On the recording, I said something along the lines of:

"This is *****in BS, I sent you everything you asked for, I even included photos of the location to show that there is a huge building blocking the view of the tracks. I'll see you in court, b*tch."

And sure enough.. I did see them in court.. Just not how I was hoping. LOL

But like I said, I learned my lesson.
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:30   #42
Gunnut 45/454

GLOCK19FTW
Good to hear, yes I'd Call SLED and make sure they still don't need the written appeal on record!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13   #43
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I am just a joe citizen layman with no experience in these matters but it could be that the person who reviews backgrounds has found information for someone with similar name, dob, ss number or slight variation of both. This "reviewer" may not want to say that it is you or isnt you and could have set the decision aside to have clairification from you directly.

Last edited by FireForged; 01-30-2013 at 12:13..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 14:54   #44
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Glocker View Post
I'd contact the sheriff first. Can you run down there, rather than phone. Face to face is best sometimes. Show him all of your paperwork (including the likely clerical error). It'd be nice to have a positive report from him when you submit the appeal.
^^^ This.

For starters, show them the part of the public site that says you're "black." Then ask if this is really you (obviously a mistake), or if this is another individual with the same information as you.

And thank YOU for being perfect, all the time, every time. Go forth and reproduce. We need more of you.

Last edited by Patchman; 01-30-2013 at 14:54..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 14:55   #45
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
For starters, show them the part of the public site that says you're "black." Then ask if this is really you (obviously a mistake), or if this is another individual with the same information as you.
lol I already got that removed from the records. Just took a few phone calls & some hilarious dialogue. The woman on the phone busted out laughing when I told her it said I was black.

Now I'm just waiting for the Sheriff to call me back. Yesterday when I spoke to him, he said he would get back to me today at the latest.

If I don't hear from him today, I'll give him a call first thing in the morning. I don't wanna bug him, I'm sure he's got a lot of real work to get done. lol

Last edited by GLOCK19FTW; 01-30-2013 at 14:57..
Old 01-30-2013, 17:58   #46
SpringerTGO

I think they were discriminating against you because you are black.
I'll bet if you got the NAACP on it you'd have your permit tomorrow.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 20:50   #47
Laslo

It's good to hear that things are working out for you. I want to echo what other people have mentioned and that is, be polite and courteous, it's amazing how fast a situation can be remedied when you behave nicely.

On a similar note, I had an instance that was somewhat similar. I was applying for a job and had something come up on a reference check. Thankfully I had obtained a level one security clearance after the incident in question and and doing so proved a mistake was made by a previous employer.

I strongly suggest that everyone should have their background checked, so mistakes can be cleared up. Computers are great, but if someone makes a mistake entering data, that mistake could cost you in many ways.

Laslo
Laslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01   #48
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
You lied about being black!

I wouldn't trust you either. Hahahahahahahaha

Did you also lie about being a US citizen?

I was denied one time and invited to appeal. But just like your letter they did not say why,
I wrote a letter to the Director of Public Safety in that state and told him I fully plan to appeal because there was nothing in my record to prohibit my having a permit. But since they did not specify the reason for the denial my attorney and I would need more information.

However, if they would like to take a closer look at my record we can avoid the time and cost involved in the appeal.

My permit arrived within days followed by an apology letter and the promise to change their form letter to give the reason for denial.

I suspect this is standard procedure if don't really have a legal reason for denial but they don't want you to have a permit for some reason.

Lawyer up.
So you don't have any felony convictions, but do you have any misdemeanor convictions?
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46   #49
GLOCK19FTW

Yeah just the petty misdemeanors I posted before, thats all.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:32   #50
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
Yeah just the petty misdemeanors I posted before, thats all.
Well the Misd convictions are probably why the Police Chief denied your permit.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:34   #51
GLOCK19FTW

I doubt it, they are from like 5-6 years ago.

All I've gotten in trouble for in the last 4 years, is 2 seatbelt violations and a speeding ticket, and all of that is paid.

I just called the Sheriff's office again, but they are out to lunch. So I just left a message.

If I don't hear back from them by 1:30 I'll try again.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52   #52
gdlzzz

Did it take the 90 days to get the initial denial? like everyone says. I'm in day 70... tick tock tick tock.
gdlzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:53   #53
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOCK19FTW View Post
I doubt it, they are from like 5-6 years ago.

All I've gotten in trouble for in the last 4 years, is 2 seatbelt violations and a speeding ticket, and all of that is paid.

I just called the Sheriff's office again, but they are out to lunch. So I just left a message.

If I don't hear back from them by 1:30 I'll try again.
Good luck. I still say that the Chief denied the permit because of the misd convictions.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56   #54
GLOCK19FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdlzzz View Post
Did it take the 90 days to get the initial denial? like everyone says. I'm in day 70... tick tock tick tock.
Got it after about 77 days.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:57   #55
gdlzzz

Good luck to you, hopefully Ole' Chuck Wright will do me right. I'll be looking in the mail daily.
gdlzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02   #56
GlocknSpiehl
NRA Life Member

Just a suggestion, but be sure to send nice thank you letters to everyone who helped you in this process, including the sheriff. I would send them now, even though you are still waiting. It never hurts to be polite and a nice letter goes a long way with keeping good relationships.
Old 01-31-2013, 16:43   #57
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocknSpiehl View Post
Just a suggestion, but be sure to send nice thank you letters to everyone who helped you in this process, including the sheriff. I would send them now, even though you are still waiting. It never hurts to be polite and a nice letter goes a long way with keeping good relationships.
If you were in North Carolina I would suggest putting a $20 bill in each envelope.

Or Salem, VA.
Old 02-13-2013, 13:37   #58
GLOCK19FTW

Oops, I forgot about this thread - Here's an update for anyone who was following my story:

Sheriff's office emailed and faxed in the approval, and SLED says that since the approval was the only thing I needed (I met all other requirements) I don't have to send in any written appeal. I figured that would be the case, since obviously once that is approved, there is nothing left to appeal. lol

Surprisingly, everything was done over the phone.. I didn't have to go anywhere to get it straightened out, just took a couple weeks of playing phone tag with everyone.

Which is great for me, because my car is in desperate need of a tune-up and my wife works almost every day.

So yeah, just wanted to post an update for everyone!

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread & gave advice, I really appreciated all the help & suggestions!

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/