Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-29-2013, 14:48   #1
steven07

KAHR Issues

So I have owned a PM40 for about a year and until this past weekend I have had little to no problems what so ever with it. As best as I can remember I think I have had 3-4 instances where the first round in has not fed properly and that is it. While at the range with my girlfriend this weekend this feeding issue started back up again and became constant along with the slide not locking back after the mag is emptied. After cycling through two mags twice I walked out of the range & into the shop and in a haste bought an additional 5 rounder which also performed the same.
I don't get it!!! I was using the same range ammo I always us but for whatever reason my previously trusted carry gun just didn't want to work. Needless to say it is on its way back to the factory. Any ideas as to what could cause both the feeding issue and slide to not lock back as described?
steven07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 16:54   #2
klt1986

Got a friend that has a PM40 that is on its way back to Kahr for the 3rd time. It jams more than any pistol I have been around, with several different experienced shooters.
Big Dawg #6874
Sub Club #2980
klt1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 17:27   #3
steven07

While this PM40 is my CCW I have recently been considering the PM 45 in a kydex OWB and turning the 40 into a back up. If the factory can get this gun working right then its still an idea but if they send back a gun with flaws then I might use the same money to pick up a glock 30 and an LCP as a back up.

Last edited by steven07; 01-29-2013 at 17:31..
Old 01-29-2013, 18:28   #4
Seven High

Does your PM40 have a grip sleeve installed? If not, I would suggest that you try one. It did wonders for my Kahr that had reliability problems.
Seven High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 18:30   #5
Narkcop

Grip sleeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven High View Post
Does your PM40 have a grip sleeve installed? If not, I would suggest that you try one. It did wonders for my Kahr that had reliability problems.
This would indicate that it was not a pistol problem but a lack of a firm grip problem.
Narkcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 19:26   #6
steven07

I already have a talon rubber grip on it & have since a few weeks after I bought it. Same gun, same ammo, new problems... Has to be something in the slide.
Old 01-29-2013, 20:01   #7
Jim Watson

How much have you shot it?
That combination has a big bullet and a small recoil spring.
It might be time for a new one, or whichever one of the package system is readily replaced.
Old 01-29-2013, 20:13   #8
ithaca_deerslayer

Can you describe the feeding problem?

Old 01-29-2013, 20:22   #9
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

You probably bent the small slide release spring that is held in place by a tiny torx screw on the side of the gun during assembly or disassembly This is easy to see and easy to fix Look in the Kahr forum of this board and I posted a tutorial about this issue. There are also videos on Youtube about it. READ YOUR MANUAL...its very explicit about the position of this spring during re assembly. Its easy to bend. Only takes a small torx head screwdriver and a couple of pair of needlenose pliers to fix it or you can order a new spring from Kahr for about $6.

I have 2 Kahrs now and have owned 2 others. They have been exceptionally reliable and accurate but you have to know your way around the idiosyncrasies of the gun.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 20:56   #10
Cole125
Silver Membership

Kahr will take care of it.

I have never had a issue with my Kahr P380, great little pistol,
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55   #11
Texas_eye

You need to replace the spring around 1500 rounds.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:14   #12
Bob Hafler

If it's just the first round are you releasing the slide using the slide release or are you sling shotting it. Kahr recommends using the slide release. On my PM9 it doesn't seem to matter
but on the 40 it might. Just a thought.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41   #13
390ish

Sorry you are having problems. My CW9 has been great. I have complete confidence in that handgun. I have been rather exacting about following the instructions in the manual as far as break-in and recoil spring changes. I shoot a lot of cast through mine. A lot of cast 120 grainers. It has never jammed, not even during break-in. Hope yours gets straightened out.
390ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14   #14
mtnglide

No problems at all with either my CM9 or P45.
mtnglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 23:10   #15
ScottieG59

My Kahr PM9 has been very reliable with a variety of ammo. I think the recoil spring works harder on the little guns and need to be replaced more often. I have not had any issues ever, even during the 200 round break in.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00   #16
Restless28

What's that sig line about the value of customer service?
Restless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 13:15   #17
steven07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Can you describe the feeding problem?

I have always had a very good habit about having the slide locked back while loading mags, so that's where I start but unfortunately do not finish. After I put that first mag in ill release the slide lock & one of two things happens, either a carridge will feed or jam. Until this day in question I have never had this issue. The other problem is after I fire the last round out of the mag, the slide does not lock back.
We'll I shipped it off yesterday After speaking with a KAHR rep so ill let everyone know what they say hopefully very soon
Old 01-31-2013, 14:02   #18
ColdSteelNail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
You probably bent the small slide release spring that is held in place by a tiny torx screw on the side of the gun during assembly or disassembly This is easy to see and easy to fix Look in the Kahr forum of this board and I posted a tutorial about this issue. There are also videos on Youtube about it. READ YOUR MANUAL...its very explicit about the position of this spring during re assembly. Its easy to bend. Only takes a small torx head screwdriver and a couple of pair of needlenose pliers to fix it or you can order a new spring from Kahr for about $6.

I have 2 Kahrs now and have owned 2 others. They have been exceptionally reliable and accurate but you have to know your way around the idiosyncrasies of the gun.
What he said. If it's been performing perfectly and suddenly started doing what you describe I would look at this first. If you own a Kahr and haven't done so I would encourage you to spend some time on the Kahr Talk site.
Anyway, if you have sent it to Kahr I'm sure they will take care of the problem. They have great customer service.

Out of dozens of handguns I own or have owned my PM9 is my absolute favorite, even over my P226.
ColdSteelNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 14:16   #19
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post

Thanks. I have read about the spring idiosyncrasy, but your post reinforces the need to be careful not to move it.
PhotoFeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 13:12   #20
steven07

So my Kahr came back from the factory Thursday and I finally had the chance to stop in the range this morning and see if it is running properly again. The work sheet that came back with the pistol says that they replaced a bent slide stop spring as well as the recoil spring. Put 100 rounds down range today and its running like a champ.
Old 02-17-2013, 13:38   #21
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven07 View Post
So my Kahr came back from the factory Thursday and I finally had the chance to stop in the range this morning and see if it is running properly again. The work sheet that came back with the pistol says that they replaced a bent slide stop spring as well as the recoil spring. Put 100 rounds down range today and its running like a champ.
Good to hear. I bought my P40 used from a guy who had the same problem and even though I showed him that the gun just needed the spring fixed he wanted nothing more to do with it and sold it to me for a song.

I took me about 15 minutes to take out the spring, bend it back with pair of needlenose pliers and reinstall the part. Gun has been flawless through 600+ rounds.

People bend this part when they improperly reassemble the pistol. READ THE MANUAL. I cannot say this enough. Just because you think you know your way around a gun doesn't mean you know your way around a Kahr. They are a little different than your average Glock, M&P etc and require different care and technique.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote