Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2013, 19:48   #21
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandros View Post
I hear this argument a lot from people I respect - so you are in good company

However, I was wondering if you could point the light a bit to the side, to address this valid concern? Today's lights, like TLR/surefire/etc. seem bright enough to illuminate the entire room...

Not trying to argue - rather figure it out for myself.
What I hear is recommended is to primarily use a second flashlight. Use the weapon light when you need the other hand to do something like open a door or something.
Old 01-23-2013, 19:55   #22
ranger1968

I did a class yesterday ; over the course of the day, I had 4 groups of cops , between 15 and 20 shooters per group, everybody shooting a Gen 2 (the old guys), Gen 3, or Gen 4 Glock 22,23, 19, or 17, and everybody with either a TLR1 or an X-300; the students fired about 300 rounds each, so it worked out to about 21,000 rounds for the day;

No malfunctions.
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 22:33   #23
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

Quote:

However, I was wondering if you could point the light a bit to the side, to address this valid concern? Today's lights, like TLR/surefire/etc. seem bright enough to illuminate the entire room...

I deserve little respect. I am a typed opinion on the internet.

Thanks.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57   #24
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Anyone who thinks that using a weapon light requires the weapon to be pointed at the threat in order to illuminate it has no experience using weapon lights. When I was first introduced to mounted lights, I thought the same thing- great, a light that can only be used when you're pointing your gun at someone or something. That couldn't be further from the truth. Weapon lights aren't that useful for novices or anyone who has not been trained and had time to practice using them. That said, weapon lights provide significant illumination from the low ready. Threats all the way down a hallway or alley are easily identified, even with the gun pointed down at the ground, at a 45 degree-ish angle. Weapon lights do not do everything a handheld flashlight can do. But for law enforcement use or some home protection use, they can be excellent. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Quote:

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 01-29-2013 at 06:20..
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 18:30   #25
jerrylo913

gen 4 g19 with surefire x300 ultra. no issues here after 200+ rounds
jerrylo913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 16:00   #26
Jim85IROC

I can't remember where I found it, but I had read that there was an issue specific to the G22 that resulted in too much slide speed, which when combined with the harmonics change resulting from putting a light on the rail, caused FTF problems. It went on to say that the G35 seemed not to exhibit this problem due to the longer slide traveling slower.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 21:45   #27
vandros
10mm fan

shot 50 rounds of underwood and double tap ammo with g29 and TLR-1 attached today. had one weird malfunction on the very last round: the slide locked as if the mag was empty, however, there was one round left in the mag. I might have pushed the slide stop lever up inadvertently - although this never happened to me with any glock before, so I kind of doubt that's what caused this malfunction...

Last edited by vandros; 02-04-2013 at 21:47..
vandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 00:43   #28
d123gaw

My gen 3 G23 doesn't like HST or Gold Dots (i've tried 180, 165, and 155gr GDs) with a X300 light attatched. Take the light off and it does fine with the HP rounds. Shooting any FMJ rounds it has always cycled with the light. If I hold the gun loosely (limp wrist) it seems to do better while the light is attatched.

I've shot some 135gr Rangers with the light with no FTF through one full mag. I think the sharper taper of the bullet helps the feeding issue.

I saw in another post that Glock says it's a weight thing...
I'm inclined to agree. The light itself is kinda loose on the rail so I think the frame can still flex some.

I want to try taking the batteries out and the tail cap off and try the Gold Dots again to see if it is a weight thing or a flex thing.

I don't know much and I'm no pro but I've shot a lot of dirt trying to find a 100% reliable load.

EDIT: I put + power mag springs in two mags and still had FTF with gold dots. The Ranger ammo was shot through the + power mags.

Last edited by d123gaw; 02-06-2013 at 00:50.. Reason: more info
d123gaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:25   #29
F_G

It appears this issue is predominately with the .40 cal guns?

I've run an Insight WX150 on both a 19 and a 30 through hundreds of rounds and never a problem.

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 19:37   #30
bakon

My gen 3 G23 duty gun will jam or FTF on every other round with a TLR-2s attached. Works flawless for 15 years without light. Light sits in locker.
bakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 14:31   #31
hal13

No problem with G21 and TLR-2
hal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 14:55   #32
PVolk

A TLR1s installed on my gen3 G23 has positivily affected it. I get less muzzle rise and it seems less snappy now. Zero issues with reliability.

Last edited by PVolk; 02-25-2013 at 14:56..
PVolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 20:30   #33
ohiostate

TLR-1 was going to be my next buy fore the G22?? hate to pay 100 plus$$ on one and cannot use it... got 1 fore sale cheap?? thanks WORM
ohiostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15   #34
PVolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiostate View Post
TLR-1 was going to be my next buy fore the G22?? hate to pay 100 plus$$ on one and cannot use it... got 1 fore sale cheap?? thanks WORM
If you find you cannot or do not like using it, it would at least be easy to flip and probably at a very small loss. It's probably the best selling pistol light on the market right now.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:22   #35
Obi Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiostate View Post
Go ahead and buy it and try it. If you don't like it, contact me as I may be looking to pick up a TLR-1 for another project.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Virg Muelleri
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51   #36
Kcolg

Those reporting issues with a light, is it Gen 3 or Gen 4?

We are still having issues on Gen 3's M22 with a light attached. Most recent cases were on 2-8-13 during a qualification course one officer out of 4 testing that day had his light attached and had 4 failures in 50 rounds. Gun was taken down and had RSA, all mag springs, and trigger assembly replaced and shot fine for the next 50 rounds. Same officer and gun went to qualifications again on 02-19-13 and had 2 failures again with the new parts. Light attached was a TLR1.

Most recent was 2-27-13 with 2 more officers and guns with M3 lights attached. Fail to feed next round with round jammed in magazine nose down. One Officer did a tap rack and the slide closed, but on an empy chamber still. He had to remove the magazine and hit the side of it to get the round to correct itself. Both had 4 failures out of a 50 round qualification.

Honestly not sure where to go from here other than remove your lights. As stated earlier have another local PD now having same issue with Gen4 M22's now that they have 500-1500 rounds through them. Maybe go to M17's? Not heard any issues on them....
Old 03-01-2013, 22:47   #37
Luminary

My Glock 19 ran flawlessly with a TLR-1 attached. It was a PITA cleaning all that carbon off the lens though..
Luminary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 22:58   #38
DeLo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Anyone who thinks that using a weapon light requires the weapon to be pointed at the threat in order to illuminate it has no experience using weapon lights. When I was first introduced to mounted lights, I thought the same thing- great, a light that can only be used when you're pointing your gun at someone or something. That couldn't be further from the truth. Weapon lights aren't that useful for novices or anyone who has not been trained and had time to practice using them. That said, weapon lights provide significant illumination from the low ready. Threats all the way down a hallway or alley are easily identified, even with the gun pointed down at the ground, at a 45 degree-ish angle. Weapon lights do not do everything a handheld flashlight can do. But for law enforcement use or some home protection use, they can be excellent. Back to your regularly scheduled topic.
So if just for low ready and not for a blinding effect then why not use a OEM Glock light? I assume the reason for the Failures is the weight of the light or the screw being to tight. Wouldn't a polymer light help both of those? Purely a question, and based on HD and not LE.
Old 03-01-2013, 23:15   #39
willy1094

Send a message via AIM to willy1094
I have a G23 and just put a TLR-1s on it. I had never had any FTFs with it but had two last time we took it to the range(WWB 150 rounds). Both times the wife was shooting so I'll have to rule out "limp wrist" but that will be a while since ammo is hard to come by.
willy1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:44   #40
Doughnutman_923

Send a message via Yahoo to Doughnutman_923
If the light is clamped too tightly on the rail, or if the light weighs too much it may have issues. We have 15 Gen 3 G22's with Insight M6's and the run flawlessly. The Sheriff's Dept has about 47 gen3 and gen 4 G22's with M6's and as far as I know, and have seen at the range, they all run good.

But I have heard of lights causing issues with Glock's before.

Tags
malfunction, tlr-1