Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-07-2013, 15:25   #1
Andrew Wiggin

Barnes 155 gr TAC-XP data?

What do you know about loading for this bullet? I have 800-X, AA9, and AA7.

A whole mess o' 10mm (and a few other caliber) ballistic tests here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Andrew Wiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:29   #2
Andrew Wiggin

So I did what I should have done in the first place and just called Barnes. Guy told me he had some data for the 155gr in 10mm that hasn't been published yet and just emailed over the .pdf. Duh. Velocities seem a little low but we'll see how everything pans out. I'll work some up, chrono, and gel test and report back in my gel test thread.

10mm Reloading Forum

* the carat indicates the most accurate load.

The .pdf also includes 125 gr and 140 gr data. If you want it, IM me and I'll email the .pdf over to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-10-2013, 22:26   #3
gofastman

I have "heard" the magic powder for the Tac XP bullets in 10mm is blue dot
Old 01-10-2013, 22:58   #4
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

If I ever get the 155 TAC XP bullets I'd go with 8.4 grains of IMR800X based off other research given the long length of this bullet!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 17:05   #5
Buski

155 gr Barnes

Wow Andrew, those are some REALLY moderate velocities Barnes gave you.
Buski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48   #6
Andrew Wiggin

Buski, a 155 gr TAC-XP is longer than a 200 gr XTP. That means a much longer bearing surface than lead core 155 gr bullets in .400".

Old 02-04-2013, 13:28   #7
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Besides the bullet being a long bearing surface the fact that the bullet as seated to the normal 1.250" or 1.26o" places this longer bullet deeper into the casing, this is where the powder needs to be adjusted, for pressures.

As the powder is being compressed by the bullet or there is less room the pressures start to increase. There were some test with 9mm bullet that were seated just 0.020" deeper which resulted in pressures increassing to almost double that of the same load.

The same is true with the all copper bullets due to their extra length, copper is lighter than lead cored of the same weight! Therefore powder charges need adjusting to avoid pressure spikes.

TAC-XP 10mm bullet lengths...
125grain = 0.624"
140grain = 0.682"
155grain = 0.733"
Old 02-07-2013, 18:35   #8
Buski

Barnes 155 Barnes

I know

..thankyou though, for reminding me & everyone of the size/bearing surface issues.

I would think, that a 1300 fps 10mm load would be pressure moderate enough to publish.

They're "really" playing it safe or they simply don't have anyone, on staff, w/10mm experience..or both.

Good shooting
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44   #9
Andrew Wiggin

Buski, looks like you're right about that. Buffalo Bore advertises 1,400 fps for their 155 gr TAC-XP. I'd like to get this thing moving better. Not necessarily BB velocity but I'd definitely like to get 1,300 fps. Anybody have any idea of sources of data that might make me feel better about pushing this? Shadow, have you dissected one of the BB copper rounds?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:36   #10
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Andrew, I haven't taken down any of the BB 155 TAC-XP or other rounds to date. It would be interesting...If I recall, BB used Power Pistol in some of their other loadings.

Last edited by _The_Shadow; 03-08-2013 at 09:56..
Old 03-08-2013, 09:57   #11
Andrew Wiggin

Okay, thanks.

Here's the link, in case anyone is interested: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=272

Last edited by Andrew Wiggin; 03-08-2013 at 09:58..
Old 03-16-2013, 08:26   #12
Buski

Barnes 155gr TAC-XP, in 10mm

Andrew,

I ended up, w/a Blue Dot load.

After a bit of cautious experimentation, I found that the bullet works best, in terms of velocity, w/155gr 10mm load powders.

I used load data, from the Hornady 7th edition handbook of cartridge reloading, as a starting point/reference.

Did some "hill-billy" terminal ballistics testing (ie wet phone books & 1 gal milk jugs filled w/water). Using that "media", the 155gr Barnes, did as well..and in some cases "better" than the 200gr XTP @ 1250 fps.

I have yet to take a hog w/the Barnes; though, I did take a doe w/the bullet last yr., fired from my 6" KKM barreled G20. I did not recover the bullet.

Best wishes & good shooting.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00   #13
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buski View Post
Andrew,

I ended up, w/a Blue Dot load.

After a bit of cautious experimentation, I found that the bullet works best, in terms of velocity, w/155gr 10mm load powders.

I used load data, from the Hornady 7th edition handbook of cartridge reloading, as a starting point/reference.

Did some "hill-billy" terminal ballistics testing (ie wet phone books & 1 gal milk jugs filled w/water). Using that "media", the 155gr Barnes, did as well..and in some cases "better" than the 200gr XTP @ 1250 fps.

I have yet to take a hog w/the Barnes; though, I did take a doe w/the bullet last yr., fired from my 6" KKM barreled G20. I did not recover the bullet.

Best wishes & good shooting.
I don't think it's very effective on large hogs at any significant distance. My son took a 350# sow about a month ago with his Mech Tec .40 S&W, which sends them at about 1400 FPS. I load the same bullet to 1500 FPS from my G20 with 5.2" LWD barrel (not ported). The results weren't stellar or decicive, other than getting the kill. The story is HERE. Anyway, at 1400 FPS (muzzle), they were all pass-through with no spectacular exits. They didn't appear to expand, at all, through 12-16" of tissue. Shooting them through 12" water or gel, they do. I suspect the tough hide fouled the bullet's design. They also won't expand after shooting through hardened targets, like glass, plywood or metal. I've considered pushing them to 18-1900 FPS with the .38-40, just to see if higher velocity would change the performance. I hate using the bullets, and do it only out of necessity (CA buzzard area).
Old 03-17-2013, 19:56   #14
Buski

Barnes 155gr

DM,

So far, all my hog kills w/the 10mm have been DRT (ie Dead Right There).

-250 lb sow w/a handloaded Double Tap 200 gr Lead WFNHC bullet: 6" Glock 20

-100 lb sow w/a handloaded 200 gr Hornady XTP: Glock 29

I believe the Barnes bullet has great potential, in the 10mm. Maybe this weekend, I'll get a shot or 2 off @ some hogs.

I stopped, @ 1400 fps, out of a G20 w/a KKM standard length comped barrel w/a 19 lb Wolff recoil spring & guide rod. 1500 fps is "smoking", out of a 5.2" barrel.

What powder are you using?

Good shooting.
Old 03-17-2013, 22:45   #15
dm1906
Retired SO

No doubt. That was my experience as well, until we were forced to unleaded bullets in 2008. When they piled up, they stayed there. I haven't shot a hog since Barnes bullets, but have had success with other game and pests (coyotes, ferrel dogs, possum(splat!), and others I won't mention).

The powder is Blue Dot for the 10mm. I couldn't get there with any other. Barnes' recomendations leave a lot to be desired, for sure. Other published loads don't do much better. Maybe acceptable for SD, but little else, IMO. I spent about $100 on bullets alone getting there. I did the same with other calibers, .40SW, .357M, .41M, and .44M. The 155's are NOT a good choice for the .40SW, but that's what I had on the shelf, and my son needed some. That one got HS-6.

By "comped", do you mean the G20C type barrel, with the ports in the middle of the barrel? If so, you may do a LOT better without the comp, and probably nearer to the loads I shoot. The comp gives up a lot of velocity, for the same barrel length. Ported barrels (ports near the muzzle) tend to lose less. I intend, at some time in the near future, to send my LWD 5.2" in to Magna-Port for a traditional port job done. I don't like the single verticle ports, like LWD and others are selling as "ported" these days.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:05   #16
Buski

Barnes 155gr

"Comped", as in KKM comped barrel.

Good shooting.
Attached Thumbnails
10mm Reloading Forum - Click for larger version  
Old 06-29-2013, 15:37   #17
capn jeff

Barnes 155 gr TAC-XP data?

I don't have a whole lot of data yet, but I just started loading the barnes 155gr Tac-XP in 40 s&w for my Glock 22 gen 4. I've got a KKM stainless barrel. After a bunch of informal research I came up with test load of Win WST 4.6gr and seated the bullet to achieve a coal of 1.128- 1.131. It chambers fine in the glock and cronied at just under 900fps. This is a slightly compressed load as the bullet is very long. I wouldn't use a powder that requires a whole lot of compression unless you're very daring. Inspected the casings and found no evidence of over pressure and the cartridge ejected normally. I'll probably up the load slowly (.2gr) after a little more testing, to try to get the velocity up a bit. Hope this helps.
capn jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:44   #18
dm1906
Retired SO

If you are using the Barnes bullets out of necessity (such as CA hunting) or SD, you'll have to do a LOT better than that. They don't expand at that velocity. Even at 1300 FPS, they don't, reliably. I load my 10mm to 1500+, and they expand, explosively, but are fairly benign below 1400. My son took a 350# hog a few months ago with his .40SW Mech Tech (1320 FPS), and all 4 neck and jowl shots were through and through, pin holes. We won't be using this round again for hunting pigs or medium game. The XPB bullets expand at a much lower velocity, but not available in .40. I use the XPB bullets for .41M and .44M, and they expand too soon at max velocity (~1700 FPS). No win with these things, but they're all we have if they are necessary.

I use the 155 gr. for .38-40, and they do very well up to nearly 2,000 FPS. Poor accuracy and too much fragmentation above about 1950 FPS, but explosive performance up to about 2050 FPS, which is where I stopped. I'm not sure what Barnes intended with these, but none of the published loads are worth a damn. Armored targets, such as glass, wood and steel, and they are no better than a solid. Good penetration, but NO expansion.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:55   #19
dm1906
Retired SO

Also......

WST should be limited to the lighter/smaller calibers. It is a very good powder in light rounds, such as .380 and .38 SPL, extremely economical and easy to use, but not a good powder for anything resembling high power. It is a very lofty powder (larger volume per charge, which makes it easier to measure small charges), but it's MUCH too fast for high pressure rounds. It's great for .40SW, .45ACP, .38SPL, 9mm and such target loads, but not much else. It's an absolute flop with .44 Spl and .45LC (too great case capacity, I think). It'll never be a performer for other loads, such as .40SW, 10mm, or any magnum load. It's a limited use target shotgun powder, and does very well there.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:42   #20
capn jeff

It sounds like you have a lot more experience with these than I do. I will be experimenting with slowly increasing the charge to up velocity. Right now I don't have another powder I can use so I may just use these for some rather expensive plinking. Thanks.
capn jeff is offline   Reply With Quote