SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2013, 22:38   #21
Wurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
If it were me, I'd buy the Colt and tell myself that it paid for itself with the money I didn't spend on the PPK. 30 years ago my friends and I tried out the PPK and figured it to be one of the most over rated guns of the day. That is not just the S&W issue, but design wise. Accuracy was mediocre, hammer and slide bite were too easy to arrange, etc. today there are better .380s and other choices in the same genre.
Really? Over the years I've owned numerous Glocks, S&W revolvers and semi-autos, Springfield 1911, SIGs, Rugers.... Even so my West German made PP is still one of my all time favorites to shoot. Accurate, reliable, never (not once) have I ever had the dreaded 'hammer bite'. It is an extremely well engineered and made firearm. Each to their own but.....

Last edited by Wurger; 01-31-2013 at 22:41..
Wurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 22:51   #22
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurger View Post
Really? Over the years I've owned numerous Glocks, S&W revolvers and semi-autos, Springfield 1911, SIGs, Rugers.... Even so my West German made PP is still one of my all time favorites to shoot. Accurate, reliable, never (not once) have I ever had the dreaded 'hammer bite'. It is an extremely well engineered and made firearm. Each to their own but.....
We tried it out along side a number of guns of it's original era, the Mauser HSC, Savage, Colt, Remington and a few of our day, Astra Constable most notably. We found most of them to be equal or superior to the Walther, the Colt and the Savage were not as "pointable", but the Remington was far superior in that regard The Mauser was sadly about on a par with the Walther. That is why we concluded it was overrated. Several of us got either hammer bite or slide cuts from quick deployment of the gun.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 22:51   #23
MinervaDoe

Quote:
30 years ago my friends and I tried out the PPK and figured it to be one of the most over rated guns of the day. That is not just the S&W issue, but design wise. Accuracy was mediocre, hammer and slide bite were too easy to arrange, etc. today there are better .380s and other choices in the same genre.
One of the guys I was in a weekend shooting class with told me that he used to own a PPK and it had harsher recoil than his Kahr MK9. ..... fast forward to my experience ..... I find that my MK9 kicks harder than my Ruger LC9. Both guns are accurate, but have long trigger pulls which require some range time to master.

My take on the whole PPK thing is why would you want a gun which is chambered in a less powerful cartridge, but kicks harder than a 9mm?

If I wanted a .380, I'd go for a Ruger LCP. If I wanted a 9mm, that was the same size, more accurate and managed recoil better than the PPK, I'd go for an MK9, or an LC9.

If I wanted the gun that is in all the Bond movies, I'd go for the PPK.

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 01-31-2013 at 23:30..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 23:51   #24
Wurger

Quote:
We tried it out along side a number of guns of it's original era, the Mauser HSC, Savage, Colt, Remington and a few of our day, Astra Constable most notably. We found most of them to be equal or superior to the Walther, the Colt and the Savage were not as "pointable", but the Remington was far superior in that regard The Mauser was sadly about on a par with the Walther. That is why we concluded it was overrated. Several of us got either hammer bite or slide cuts from quick deployment of the gun.
Although I really don't like the phrase, I'll have to use it anyways, 'we will have to agree to disagree'.

It is interesting to note that of those pistols you note having tested side by side with the Walther, namely:

Quote:
... the Mauser HSC, Savage, Colt, Remington ...
the only pistol that was and still remains to this day a commercial success is the Walther PPK.

Each to their own but unfortunately, more individuals, law enforcement agencies and military establishments agree with me.

While not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, the Walther PPk (or PPK/S) is still used and carried by quite a few people in this day of the polymer pistols while the Mauser HSC, Savage, Colt and Remington period pistols you mention are primarily collector items that reside in someone's safe.

.....and before anyone mentions it, I really don't care what Bond uses in the movies. Pop culture is almost always a poor source of wisdom to determine any choice we make here in the real world.

Last edited by Wurger; 02-01-2013 at 23:55..
Old 02-02-2013, 00:36   #25
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurger View Post
Although I really don't like the phrase, I'll have to use it anyways, 'we will have to agree to disagree'.

It is interesting to note that of those pistols you note having tested side by side with the Walther, namely:

the only pistol that was and still remains to this day a commercial success is the Walther PPK.

Each to their own but unfortunately, more individuals, law enforcement agencies and military establishments agree with me.

While not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, the Walther PPk (or PPK/S) is still used and carried by quite a few people in this day of the polymer pistols while the Mauser HSC, Savage, Colt and Remington period pistols you mention are primarily collector items that reside in someone's safe.

.....and before anyone mentions it, I really don't care what Bond uses in the movies. Pop culture is almost always a poor source of wisdom to determine any choice we make here in the real world.
Well the Remington started out as a design for a full sized military pistol but its features and design were too expensive for that. It was then scaled down for the pocket pistol market in the US but was hit hard by the depression. Unlike the Walther it did not have the benefit of the European military and police that felt the .380 or .32 was sufficient. That is what kept the PP series alive pre war. civilian sales in the US and abroad were not impressive. That is why pre-war civilian models command high prices, they weren't that popular. If popularity means so much, don't try looking at the sales figures for the PP series today vs the high-point pistols, or about any of the current crop of .380s for that mter. The Bodyguard and others are doing fine

BTW I didn't buy this one as a "safe queen"

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by countrygun; 02-02-2013 at 00:36..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07   #26
hogship
It's MY Island

General Firearms Forum

I have a PPKs made by Smith. There is no question that it's a very high quality little pistol. Very accurate because of that fixed barrel design. It's been reliable for me. The Smith series of pistols are the only ones ever produced on modern CNC machinery, so the machining tolerances are more accurately upheld than any of the others, including Walther of Germany.

It was purchased for a concealed carry gun, and I did carry it for a year or so..........but, I wouldn't buy it now. For that purpose, and because it's chambered in 380, there are smaller and lighter options available these days.

The "James Bond thing" wasn't my initial inspiration for buying it, but that, and the long successful heritage it has, probably has something to do with why I still have it. Haven't shot it in 5 years, or so......now it's a collectible, and always looks very cool in my safe!

The recall was because there were some accidental discharges from thumbing the hammer drop safety. I didn't send it in to Smith, because I thoroughly tested mine and am satisfied that mine isn't a problem. I made up a dummy round with live primer, and operated the hammer drop about a thousand times. After all those times, there isn't the slightest indentation on the primer.

One thing Smith really blew it, is that gawd awful long tang. I would agree that a longer tang is necessary, because "hammer bite" has always been a problem with the PP series of pistols........but Smith totally went overboard with their unsightly long tang. I have the proper equipment to do so, so I shortened the tang about 1/4", and it looks better while still providing the necessary protection.

The PPKs is a great little pistol, but for practical purposes, there are better options available today.......but James Bond with a PPK just screams classy!

ooc

General Firearms Forum
Size comparison of PPKs to Kahr MK40......this pic was taken before I shortened the tang.
General Firearms Forum
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 02-02-2013 at 09:14..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44   #27
Wurger

Quote:
... If popularity means so much, don't try looking at the sales figures for the PP series today vs the high-point pistols, or about any of the current crop of .380s for that mter. The Bodyguard and others are doing fine....
That takes some convoluted logic to compare sales figures for the year 2012 to those of the 1930's.

Once again we must 'agree to disagree'.

I'd say that the Walther PPK, PPK/S is not an underrated pistol and neither is it overrated. It is a fine well made and engineered firearm that was conceived at the early part of the last century that has stood the test of time well. Is it a Glock? No. Is it a High-Point? No. It is just a fine classic little firearm.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52   #28
Wurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post

.....It was purchased for a concealed carry gun, and I did carry it for a year or so..........but, I wouldn't buy it now. For that purpose, and because it's chambered in 380, there are smaller and lighter options available these days...

....The PPKs is a great little pistol, but for practical purposes, there are better options available today....
ooc
Yes, I'm right there with you. My CCW's include the LCP, CM40, Glock 27. Each for its own carry parameters to fit the particular situation at hand.