Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-31-2013, 23:35   #1
Dizzy Beaver

Are these USGI mags?

I ordered some of these magazines for my AR:

http://www.rangerjoes.com/Magazine-3...P4845C389.aspx

I received a notification a few days later stating that they are back-ordered and that I can call to cancel my order if I don't want to wait.

The description doesn't explicitly state that they are USGI mags so I thought I'd pose the question here. Does anybody know if these are actually USGI mags? If they are, I'll probably leave my order and wait for them to come back in stock. If not, I'll probably cancel it.

I have used USGI mags in my previous AR and current AR and have never had any issues whatsoever with them so I'm planning to stick with them. Given how difficult ammo is to come by these days, I really don't want to start with a new type of magazine as I'd want to fire a few hundred rounds through them before I really trusted them.
Dizzy Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 23:49   #2
bigmoney890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy Beaver View Post
I ordered some of these magazines for my AR:

http://www.rangerjoes.com/Magazine-3...P4845C389.aspx

I received a notification a few days later stating that they are back-ordered and that I can call to cancel my order if I don't want to wait.

The description doesn't explicitly state that they are USGI mags so I thought I'd pose the question here. Does anybody know if these are actually USGI mags? If they are, I'll probably leave my order and wait for them to come back in stock. If not, I'll probably cancel it.

I have used USGI mags in my previous AR and current AR and have never had any issues whatsoever with them so I'm planning to stick with them. Given how difficult ammo is to come by these days, I really don't want to start with a new type of magazine as I'd want to fire a few hundred rounds through them before I really trusted them.
No way to tell with the information provided on their site. But USGI is really a generic term, IMO, because GI's are issued magazines from dozens of different companies based on who has won a bid for that certain time frame. They could very well be USGI, but there isn't really a way to tell unless you call them and find out the manufacturer and know that manufacturer has had or still has a government contract. Unless you specifically want something the military uses, for whatever reason that may be, I'd stick with those mags. Seems to be a good price right now. I'd have no problem using them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bigmoney890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02   #3
al_r

They look like C Products - orange-ish follower, and they also carry the stainless steel version.
al_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17   #4
surf

USGI is about as mistakenly used as the term milspec. That magazine would be described as a USGI type or style of magazine, but as mentioned by bigmoney you would need to know if the mag was made by one of the actual government suppliers and if that mag was built as a part of an actual run of mags to fulfill a .gov order to be truly USGI.

Now a better question would be along the lines of "is that USGI type magazine manufactured by a reputable manufacturer or supplier of true USGI magazines?" Now you might think we are nitpicking here but if some uneducated person came along they might say "heck ya those are USGI grab em". When in reality they might look like USGI mags but are not built well or reliable. That kind of stuff happens a lot on the www. You might actually email or call Ranger Joes and ask what brand they are. We could offer more help from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by surf; 02-01-2013 at 12:20..
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:42   #5
Dizzy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Now a better question would be along the lines of "is that USGI type magazine manufactured by a reputable manufacturer or supplier of true USGI magazines?"
You are correct. What I really care about is that they are made to USGI specs be a reputable manufacturer. I have some "pre-ban USGI" mags that I purchased during the ban (Colt, Center Industries, Labelle) that have been proven 100% reliable, hence my desire to stick with that type of magazine.

I took your advice and called Ranger Joes and asked them what brand the magazines are. At first the lady said that she thought that they were Tapco, but then said that she didn't have any information on the brand so I ended up canceling my order.

So now I have two questions:
  1. What manufacturers produce quality USGI-style/spec aluminum magazines?
  2. Years ago I replaced the black followers in my 30 round mags with green followers. Would it be worthwhile to replace my green followers with MagPul followers?

I have a couple of teflon-coated 30-round magazines that are absolutely fantastic, though I don't recall the brand off of the top of my head. In my reading, it looks like D&H (formerly Labelle, whose magazines I really like) makes 30-round teflon-coated aluminum magazines with MagPul followers so perhaps I'll keep my eyes open for some of those.
Dizzy Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:25   #6
surf

Anything labeled Colt (sourced), NHMTG, OKAY, Center, D&H. I have used the Brownells Mags and are good. I have also purchased a lot of DSG Arms USGI mags which are D&H.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote