Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:19   #21
SCmasterblaster

It is tough to find good ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinttho View Post
. I carried silver tips at the advice of a popular gun writer/expert when I first got my Glock 27 and 23. they're the same design as wwb hp. After a lot of research I switched to gold dots and feel much more confident and safe knowing the rounds will perform as intended more reliably than old tech sd ammo. I still have several boxes of the silvertip ammo in case I run out of range ammo or use my gold dots up and cannot get anything else.

My advice is use them til you can find 124g gold dots, ranger or HST ammo then switch. These are more proven designs that are more likely to be effective against an attacker if you ever need to use your weapon. The new high tech hp rounds are the best you can buy and not that much more costly. Just an opinion. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying those knowing better rounds are out there on the shelves (even in this panic buying market I've seen 9mm gold dot, ranger, golden saber ammo in 124/147g weights online and in stores at decent prices.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
If it wasn't for guns shows and the internet, I wouldn't have any CCW ammo.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:28   #22
fastbolt

Considering some random observations I made during a recent trip through the Pacific Northwest, ammunition availability seems weirdly spotty.

In one "general store" there was all sorts of handgun ammunition on the shelves, across a wide range of calibers, and the prices seemed pretty reasonable (compared to usual CA prices). Federal, Winchester, Remington & Speer for the major brands, and a couple of foreign brands, as well.

Just a few miles away, at the other end of the small town, the local WM store had mostly bare shelves. Even the rifle & shotgun ammo was mostly depleted (unlike the other store, which was plentiful).

Didn't stop in any dedicated "gun stores", so I didn't see the situation in any of those.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 02-02-2013 at 11:30..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:09   #23
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
Considering some random observations I made during a recent trip through the Pacific Northwest, ammunition availability seems weirdly spotty.

In one "general store" there was all sorts of handgun ammunition on the shelves, across a wide range of calibers, and the prices seemed pretty reasonable (compared to usual CA prices). Federal, Winchester, Remington & Speer for the major brands, and a couple of foreign brands, as well.

Just a few miles away, at the other end of the small town, the local WM store had mostly bare shelves. Even the rifle & shotgun ammo was mostly depleted (unlike the other store, which was plentiful).

Didn't stop in any dedicated "gun stores", so I didn't see the situation in any of those.
That ammo-rich store will soon be besieged by ammo-seekers.
Old 02-02-2013, 14:13   #24
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
That ammo-rich store will soon be besieged by ammo-seekers.
Dunno. I've seen the shelves in that store hold more over the years. The handgun ammo was still plentiful, though, and the rifle & shotgun ammo was really plentiful and varied. Kinda surprised it hadn't been scoured by the "panicked internet gun forum buyers".

There were a handful of young and older men standing around in the isle, and there seemed to be the usual amount of business occurring everywhere else, but nobody was pulling boxes of ammo off the shelves.

Of course, the folks who patronize that sort of large general store are probably the sort of folks who aren't exactly caught totally unprepared by sudden shortages of important things.
Old 02-02-2013, 14:19   #25
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Dunno. I've seen the shelves in that store hold more over the years. The handgun ammo was still plentiful, though, and the rifle & shotgun ammo was really plentiful and varied. Kinda surprised it hadn't been scoured by the "panicked internet gun forum buyers".

There were a handful of young and older men standing around in the isle, and there seemed to be the usual amount of business occurring everywhere else, but nobody was pulling boxes of ammo off the shelves.

Of course, the folks who patronize that sort of large general store are probably the sort of folks who aren't exactly caught totally unprepared by sudden shortages of important things.
The guys were probably asking themselves how much ammo that they have at home . . . . .
Old 02-02-2013, 14:52   #26
fastbolt

Quote:
The guys were probably asking themselves how much ammo that they have at home . . . . .
Good one.

Actually, they were all talking about other stuff. When a couple of them realized I was trying to see something on the shelves behind where they were talking, they politely excused themselves and moved over toward the fishing/camping stuff.

I suppose my point is that the WM shoppers had cleaned out the shelves of ammo, but the older, established general/hardware/sporting goods store not that far away hadn't experienced the same surge of panicked shoppers. What is it with people going to WM to buy ammo?

Granted, I'm not a WM shopper. I only go to a WM while traveling, grudgingly, and even then only if I can't find what I'm looking for at some other store, or I need to pull off the freeway for something not carried at a Safeway or drugstore, and a WM store is right there.

I've browsed the ammo selection in the sporting goods section in a handful of WM's over the last several years (while traveling) and I haven't been particularly enthused by either their selection or their pricing. I've seen bigger and wider selections of ammo at assorted Big 5 stores.

Last edited by fastbolt; 02-02-2013 at 14:55..
Old 02-02-2013, 15:25   #27
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Good one.

Actually, they were all talking about other stuff. When a couple of them realized I was trying to see something on the shelves behind where they were talking, they politely excused themselves and moved over toward the fishing/camping stuff.

I suppose my point is that the WM shoppers had cleaned out the shelves of ammo, but the older, established general/hardware/sporting goods store not that far away hadn't experienced the same surge of panicked shoppers. What is it with people going to WM to buy ammo?

Granted, I'm not a WM shopper. I only go to a WM while traveling, grudgingly, and even then only if I can't find what I'm looking for at some other store, or I need to pull off the freeway for something not carried at a Safeway or drugstore, and a WM store is right there.

I've browsed the ammo selection in the sporting goods section in a handful of WM's over the last several years (while traveling) and I haven't been particularly enthused by either their selection or their pricing. I've seen bigger and wider selections of ammo at assorted Big 5 stores.
I remember the Big 5 stores from my CA days (1974-90).
Old 02-02-2013, 15:33   #28
fastbolt

Quote:
I remember the Big 5 stores from my CA days (1974-90).
Yeah, they still have them up & down the West Coast.

I miss when Gemco, Penneys, Sears & Wards all sold ammo, though. I've seen some Kmart's stock it, and some not.
Old 02-02-2013, 15:35   #29
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Yeah, they still have them up & down the West Coast.

I miss when Gemco, Penneys, Sears & Wards all sold ammo, though. I've seen some Kmart's stock it, and some not.
The Kmarts here in NH have ammo.
Old 02-03-2013, 14:02   #30
BrokenArrow

If it's good/bad depends on how you define those terms. The 115g JHP Silvertip and Ranger bullet perform the same at the same velocities. They do now what they did over 20 yrs ago.

Through FBI spec heavy cloth:

115 Silvertip 11.8/.58
115 +P+ Ranger 10.15/.65
115 +P+ Rem 10.9/.62
115 +P+ Fed 10.6/.62

To the FBI, the above makes the slower Silvertip better than the faster +P+ loads, to others, not so much.

An old guy here was shopping at WalMart when he heard a woman screaming. She was being stabbed by her ex. He shot the ex twice w 115 Silvertip from an SA XD subcompact pistol. The ex was stopped immedieately and died. It worked fine then, no matter how you define good/bad terminal ballistics.

Last edited by BrokenArrow; 02-03-2013 at 14:05..
BrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:21   #31
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenArrow View Post
If it's good/bad depends on how you define those terms. The 115g JHP Silvertip and Ranger bullet perform the same at the same velocities. They do now what they did over 20 yrs ago.

Through FBI spec heavy cloth:

115 Silvertip 11.8/.58
115 +P+ Ranger 10.15/.65
115 +P+ Rem 10.9/.62
115 +P+ Fed 10.6/.62

To the FBI, the above makes the slower Silvertip better than the faster +P+ loads, to others, not so much.

An old guy here was shopping at WalMart when he heard a woman screaming. She was being stabbed by her ex. He shot the ex twice w 115 Silvertip from an SA XD subcompact pistol. The ex was stopped immedieately and died. It worked fine then, no matter how you define good/bad terminal ballistics.
I haven't seen you in forever. Welcome back.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-03-2013, 17:47   #32
fastbolt

Yeah, good to see able to stop by again. Hope your absence has been because of preoccupation of a good nature.

As far as the comments on the 115gr JHP's?

Hey, nothing succeeds like success, huh?
Old 02-03-2013, 18:06   #33
unit1069

Quote:
I agree that Wal-Mart's ammo selection is limited but for range ammo our local stores carry Federal, Winchester, Remington, Privi Partisan, and Tulammo in 9mm. For JHP self-defense rounds I always find it online and I'm glad I logged in an adequate supply over the past few years.

As for price, I bought two Federal 115-grain FMJ 100-round ValuPacks at $20+/each two weeks ago and the steel case Tulammo was at $10/box of 50. I don't shoot steel case ammo except in my commie firearms so it was an easy decision for me. At 20 cents a round for brass case 9mm range ammo I congratulate Wal-Mart for keeping prices low during this current guns/ammo surge.
Old 02-06-2013, 16:29   #34
SCmasterblaster

I wonder if WMs anywhere sell reloading components? Bullets, primers, powder.