GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 17:50   #1
Tom D

Change Glock from Polygonal to Hexagonal ???

I wonder why Glock decided to make their choice in rifling what it is.

If there were an option when buying a Glock I wonder what percentage of sales would be for the other.

It would be great if Glock had an option.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 18:03   #2
TheGlockTalker

Just get an aftermarket barrel.
The KKM's are great.
TheGlockTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 18:08   #3
bentbiker
NRA Member

Polygonal refers to the type of rifling. Hexagonal, or Octagonal on the .45 ACP and .45 GAP models, refers to the number of rifling "grooves". Glock uses polygonal rifling instead of cut rifling because: "The GLOCK polygonal barrel rifling reduces wear and tear on the barrel and creates better bullet-to-barrel fit. This minimizes barrel residue and produces consistent and increased bullet velocity, resulting in enhanced accuracy."

Last edited by bentbiker; 02-02-2013 at 18:13..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 18:29   #4
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlockTalker View Post
Just get an aftermarket barrel.
The KKM's are great.
Got one..........love it G34 Gen3
Old 02-02-2013, 18:36   #5
Tom D

Its definitely limited to just a few manufacturer Im not sure which I think HK maybe and a couple of others.

The impressed rifling vs cut may or may not be more accurate across the wider range of lead and non lead bullets.

I wonder what the wear factor percentage might be, how much more life does it offer?

If a shooter buys his Glock to shoot lead they seem to be giving away some market share it seems a lot of after market barrels are sold because of it.

Seems to me like they are shooting themselves in the foot by not providing the option.
Old 02-02-2013, 19:16   #6
125K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
Its definitely limited to just a few manufacturer Im not sure which I think HK maybe and a couple of others.

T

Seems to me like they are shooting themselves in the foot by not providing the option.

That may require too much accuracy UNLESS....the shooter's in the DEA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Vietnam Vet/SOG
Roll Tide!!
125K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 19:39   #7
XDRoX

Why would you need a barrel with traditional rifling?
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 19:47   #8
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

The MAJOR choice was originally hammer-forging the barrel/rifling versus forging and then cutting rifling. Hammer forging.is faster and cheaper. Conventional land/groove rifling can be done with a hammer forged method, but it too is slower. One of the variants of polygonal rifling was the way to go, and Gaston chose it.
Old 02-02-2013, 20:35   #9
cciman

CZ's are another.

The Glock nitrided barrel is ideal for FMJ - small groove lands contribute to zero need for barrel cleaning, as well as long life.

Quote:
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 20:44   #10
ADK_40GLKr

Quote:
I wonder why Glock decided to make their choice in rifling what it is.

If there were an option when buying a Glock I wonder what percentage of sales would be for the other.

It would be great if Glock had an option.
POLYGONAL = many sides
HEXAGONAL = six sides
OCTAGONAL = eight sides

All Glocks except the .45's have hexagonal barrels. The .45 ACP and GAP are octagonal. They're ALL polygonal.

See this: http://us.glock.com/products/all. Hitting any model in the chart will give you the specs.
Old 02-02-2013, 21:33   #11
AK74play

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr View Post
POLYGONAL = many sides
HEXAGONAL = six sides
OCTAGONAL = eight sides

All Glocks except the .45's have hexagonal barrels. The .45 ACP and GAP are octagonal. They're ALL polygonal.

See this: http://us.glock.com/products/all. Hitting any model in the chart will give you the specs.
THIS ... Also my Desert Eagle 357 magnum is polygonal and they were befor Glock ever came about. It is still extremely accurate as it was when I bought it new. Many, many, countless rounds through it and still easy as hell to clean and very accurate. This gun is what made me spend the first dollar I ever spent on a Glock. My first was my 34, now 17 more Glocks on top of that and they are even easier to carry than the Desert Eagle. I use it for my winter CC. Nice vertical leather shoulder rig and it carries and conceals quite easily.
Old 02-02-2013, 22:28   #12
Tom D

"The term "polygonal rifling" is fairly general, and different manufacturers employ varying polygonal rifling profiles. H&K, CZ and Glock use a female type of polygonal rifling similar to the bore shown above right. This type has a smaller bore area than the male type of polygonal rifling designed and used by Lothar Walther. Other companies such as Noveske (Pac Nor) and LWRC use a rifling more like the conventional rifling with both of the lands sides being sloped but has a flat top and defined corners, this type of rifling is more of a canted land type of rifling than polygonal rifling."

Found this when I did a search for "define polygonal rifling and wikipedia came up with a history on rifling. Pictures To!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygonal_rifling

A little easier to understand.

Last edited by Tom D; 02-02-2013 at 22:31..
Old 02-02-2013, 22:39   #13
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Im not even sure. Im probably not wondering the right thing.

I think I mean why don't they provide a barrel that is doesn't raise the lead issue at all?

Or something like that.
Old 02-02-2013, 22:44   #14
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr View Post
POLYGONAL = many sides
HEXAGONAL = six sides
OCTAGONAL = eight sides

Checked it out and thanks for pointing out what I totally didnt understand. Thanks I think I was asking the wrong question.
Old 02-02-2013, 23:21   #15
docholliday1

My S&W 10.5" Perf. Center 500 has poly rifling and they don't say anything about not shooting lead in it. What makes the Glock poly rifling any different concerning lead bullets ?
docholliday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:57   #16
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurairabbi View Post
The MAJOR choice was originally hammer-forging the barrel/rifling versus forging and then cutting rifling. Hammer forging.is faster and cheaper. Conventional land/groove rifling can be done with a hammer forged method, but it too is slower. One of the variants of polygonal rifling was the way to go, and Gaston chose it.
Barrels, with cut rifling aren't forged. Round bar is drilled and then the cut rifling is done. The main difference, that I have noticed, is the hammer forged barrels, with rifling, are slicker, with absolutely, no machine cutting marks, in the barrel.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27   #17
Nutt51

I did so much reading over the last two days that I got a
headache. Don't shoot cast bullets in a Glock barrel, it will
blow your head and arms off. It's O.K. to shoot lead bullets in
a Glock barrel, I've been doing it for years, and I have 63 Glocks.
It leads the barrel, it never leads the barrel, WTH.

If Glock says it's not a good thing to do, I will not second guess them. Others can do as they wish.

So, I just placed an order with KKM for a new 21 barrel, and also, a nice order with Missouri Bullet Company.

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:54   #18
Tom D

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholliday1 View Post
My S&W 10.5" Perf. Center 500 has poly rifling and they don't say anything about not shooting lead in it. What makes the Glock poly rifling any different concerning lead bullets ?
http://lasc.us/Brennan_2-2_BulletDesignFit.htm

Ric Bowman
Thoughts on Throats, Leade, Ball Seats and Bullet fit

I found some interesting reading with some illustrations probably the ball seat abrupt angle that is less severe in cut rifling and the bullet style seem to play into it when a pistol is involved.

I'm imagining the revolver design of chambering and head space method would make a revolver less prone to leading, the more gradual ball seat angle (leade).

Its interesting because there are shooters with the Glocks shooting lead that have no issues of leading.

I think it has to do with other elements in addition to the type of rifling or in combinations with things like combinations of bullet shape, dia., lubes, bhn's, alloy and powders and revolver or pistol chamber style.

With the optimal combinations leading is less or a none issue?

This could be one of the great unsolved mysteries of the modern day.

Did my leading go away with the KKM barrel? No not yet but it wasn't severe in my glock barrel nor is it in the KKM. Its about the same so Im still working on dia. powder and alloy etc. My accuracy is better with the KKM that's all.

Old 02-03-2013, 13:13   #19
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
You can't shoot non jacketed ammo in a polygonal barrel. Some reloaders use plain old lead nosed bullets.
Old 02-03-2013, 16:49   #20
cciman

Answer: So after market companies can make money too-- to fill a niche not provided for by the Glock factory barrel, which was designed for commercial military grade FMJ.

If you are a re-loader and want to shoot soft lead bullets, and pollute the general area in which you handle your gun, then the after market cheaply made barrel is the way to go. (You can't even strip lead paint off your walls without a permit, but you can melt lead cast bullets and shoot and handle the dirty machinery after shooting reloads). Of course they will sell as a more accurate barrel for "MATCH grade" shooting, and it will be made of stainless to counter the nitride treatment of the factory barrel, that BTW comes with the gun when you purchase it.

Quote:

Last edited by cciman; 02-03-2013 at 16:52..
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote