SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2013, 21:12   #1
TTex
Cannon Fodder

Slinging big lead G21 style

I got a chance to shoot my new Gen 4 G21 today! Love it!
While the day wasn't perfect the pistol performed well and only gave me a couple of very minor issues. I am still very pleased with the Gen 4 21.
First the range was blocked up most of the day with a CCW class, so it took a while to get on. Once we were on the range I loaded up the mags and noticed that last round is a bear to get in there, but after loading them a couple of times they are starting to loosen up. I figure after a few loadings they should loosen up, but they were still tighter than what I am used to.
Anyway I step to the line and fire off the first few shots and on the first shot I get hit in the forehead with a spent case . It left a black smudge I was able to see in the bathroom mirror later, so right off the bat I'm thinking "Oh man I'm going to be fighting this BTF issue all over again", but of the 125 rounds my wife and I put through it only that one hit me in the face. All in all I say the gun performed pretty much flawlessly.
The rattle I noticed while I was inspecting the gun after purchase is a non issue. I think it just has to do with the fact that the 21 is a larger gun than my 9mm's and therefore has more clearance. It didn't seem to effect anything at all, and was probably just a bit of paranoia on my part. I may look at some other 21's in a display case somewhere and see if they are the same way, but really I just need to get over it and shoot the thing.
Speaking of which I think the 21 is a great shooter even though I couldn't do much with it this go round. I felt I had a bit of a caffeine shake today for whatever reason. I believe the pistol was doing its part, and if I really concentrated I could put the rounds close to where I wanted, but I just don't think today was my best shooting day. The pistol is a fun one to shoot! I found the recoil was muted, but I still knew I was slinging some big bore rounds downrange. The grip is still large even with no back strap on the pistol, and that fact sometimes caused a little confusion in where I was wanting to place my off hand, but it is still (for me) comfortable, and the wider grip spreads out the energy from those big 230gr slugs.
As with all Glock triggers I think they are like fine wine, they get better with age! The trigger was crisp, and there is nothing wrong with it, I just think it will be better in about 500 rounds.
Bottom line, I think the Gen 4 G21 is rock solid, and super fun to shoot! If I can find (and afford) ammo, I'm gonna shoot the snot out of it!

Last edited by TTex; 02-02-2013 at 21:56..
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 21:26   #2
BenjiEDF

Congrats, I've got one of those on my list to buy.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 21:26   #3
vinstang67

Congrats

I like mine, too.
I really liked my Gen3 G30 until I got Gen4 G21.
I need to get Gen4 G30 very soon.
vinstang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 21:40   #4
phonejack

I know that right now it would be difficult to start reloading, but, boy o boy how a G21 shines with an accurate handload.
phonejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 22:22   #5
Slalom.45

TTex.
Two questions. First. You weren't shooting at Barney's in Lafayette were ya? They have been packed lately on Saturdays.

Second. Where have you been finding new 21's to check out? I made a few calls and looked around at some shops and only found one Gen 3 17. For some reason there are a fair number of Sig's and S&W in the cases, but Glocks and XD's are gone.

Love my 21 BTW. It's an old police buy back, but I can shoot circles around my Gen 4 19 with it.
Slalom.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48   #6
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTex View Post
I got a chance to shoot my new Gen 4 G21 today! Love it! ...
That seems to be the case with most folks that shoot one! Congrats on the Gen4 G21, it's my favorite .45
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33   #7
TTex
Cannon Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slalom.45 View Post
TTex.
Two questions. First. You weren't shooting at Barney's in Lafayette were ya? They have been packed lately on Saturdays.

Second. Where have you been finding new 21's to check out? I made a few calls and looked around at some shops and only found one Gen 3 17. For some reason there are a fair number of Sig's and S&W in the cases, but Glocks and XD's are gone.

Love my 21 BTW. It's an old police buy back, but I can shoot circles around my Gen 4 19 with it.
Really all ranges are packed nowadays. Everyone is buying guns and ammo!
I found a couple at Hebert Guns in Prarieville, but that was a couple of days ago. I'd say at the rate they are going he is probably sold out! I was talking about checking out the slide fit on a Gen 3 or waiting until someone has another Gen 4 and just seeing how the fit compares to mine, just for a little piece of mind.
I want to go shoot my G21 a lot more, its a sweet shooter, but I don't stockpile a ton of ammo so I'm going to have to keep checking around until I can buy a couple more boxes.
All this craziness has kinda ruined the experience for a while! Stand in line to buy ONE box of ammo, stand in line for and hour to shoot, stand in line at the gun counter to LOOK at anything!
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote