Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:45   #1
Vartarg

Question About a 9MM Barrel for my Glock22

I've got a gen4 G17 that I have setup for competition with a Glockworx trigger set and adjustable rear sights.

I've been thinking about getting a 9mm barrel for my gen4 G22 for carry purposes, and also the ability to shoot lead bullets in 9mm. Also, I have Truglo night sights on the 40S&W....

In looking online at Glockmeister, I see that Storm Lake offers a "conversion" barrel for the G22 for 9mm, and I guess I don't understand why you just can't drop a 9mm barrel into a G22?

Thanks for your help in understanding.....

George
Old 02-03-2013, 12:01   #2
samurairabbi
Dungeon Schmuck

The outer diameter of the factory .40 barrel is greater than the OD of.the factory 9mm barrel. The conversion barrels have the 9mm bore with the OD of the.factory .40 barrel.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17   #3
Glock Junkie

I believe there was a conversion barrel for a 22 in the classifieds
Glock Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:00   #4
sig357fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartarg View Post
.....I've been thinking about getting a 9mm barrel for my gen4 G22 for carry purposes, and also the ability to shoot lead bullets in 9mm.....
I'm running a LWD 40 to 9 conversion barrel in my Gen 3 G31, similar to what you want to do with your Gen 4 G22.

The barrel and a 9mm mag is all I do and have had 100% reliability, that being said, this set up is for range practice only.

Even though I’ve had 100% reliability, I wouldn’t carry my G31 in this configuration.

sig357fan
sig357fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:03   #5
JimM_PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sig357fan View Post
I'm running a LWD 40 to 9 conversion barrel in my Gen 3 G31, similar to what you want to do with your Gen 4 G22.

The barrel and a 9mm mag is all I do and have had 100% reliability, that being said, this set up is for range practice only.

Even though I’ve had 100% reliability, I wouldn’t carry my G31 in this configuration.

sig357fan
+1...similar setup here. My 9mm conversion barrel is for practice and IDPA club matches, not carry.
JimM_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:13   #6
Vartarg

Thanks

Thanks, guys, for the responses....very helpful.

Jim & Sig357: with an otherwise stock gun, other than night sights and a Storm Lake conversion barrel, why wouldn't I carry it?

With 9mm magazines, and the right barrel, is it a matter of reliability?

Hep' me!

George
Old 02-03-2013, 13:33   #7
PhotoFeller

Quote:

Jim & Sig357: with an otherwise stock gun, other than night sights and a Storm Lake conversion barrel, why wouldn't I carry it?

Hep' me!

George
Many folks say they use a conversion setup for CC after a rigorous test of several hundred rounds (or more) fired at the range. If it performs flawlessly during the test period, they say reliability has been reasonably proven.

The test process would be good enough for me, but I understand the opposing point of view. An argument can be made that anything different than OEM parts introduces an unknown factor to the gun's consistent performance.

One thing that would help me understand the issue has to do with the actual shape/dimensions of conversion barrels. Would a side-by-side comparison of OEM and a Storm Lake, visually and with measurements, show that they are identical or are there minor differences?

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-03-2013 at 13:35..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:34   #8
JimM_PA

Quote:

Hep' me!

George
My G27 with Storm Lake 40-9 conversion barrel and G26 mags has been reliable so far in several IDPA club matches. However, the search feature is your friend and should reveal a number of issues other shooters have experienced from time to time (extraction, ejection, etc.). The conversion barrel is a compromise and meets my intended purpose, but I prefer the G27 for carry.
JimM_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:35   #9
rrr

I have the same setup G27 with 9mm storm lake conversion and G26 mags. I use it for practice and a few competitions also. Never had a hiccup but just prefer to carry with .40 for the extra stopping power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM_PA View Post
My G27 with Storm Lake 40-9 conversion barrel and G26 mags has been reliable so far in several IDPA club matches. However, the search feature is your friend and should reveal a number of issues other shooters have experienced from time to time (extraction, ejection, etc.). The conversion barrel is a compromise and meets my intended purpose, but I prefer the G27 for carry.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote