CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Congrats,.........pics when you can!
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 19:35   #42
QNman
resU deretsigeR

I pick it up tomorrow.
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!

Last edited by QNman; 02-06-2013 at 22:39..
QNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:18   #43
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawScholar View Post
I always wanted my first 1911 to be a $1200-1500 model, something really classy and quality. The three final contenders for a long time have been, in no particular order:

TRP
DW Valor
Colt XSE

The TRP is a high-class gun. You'll love it.
I wouldn't put the XSE in the same class as the other two, my friend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:23   #44
LawScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I think the only person I'd listen to more closely about 1911s is JMB. Noted, sir, and thank you.

Out of curiosity, does Colt make one in the same league? Combat oriented rather than target?
Old 02-06-2013, 21:30   #45
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I happen to agree with you on Colts 1911's. However our friend "Scooter" doesn't. I am not sure fnfalman wants to get in a 1911 war of words with you but if he does........

I know you won't let me down.
Old 02-06-2013, 22:39   #46
Mad Ryan

I always thought of Colt as *take a $1000 gun, slap their name on it, charge $1800*
Old 02-06-2013, 22:53   #47
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
What hammers did you use on these two? I really like the look it gives the weapons and have always liked the commander style hammer.
They're both factory. Only thing changed in those pics were the front sights, triggers and flush crowned barrels.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 19:34   #48
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Well... Here she is. I think I'm in love and I haven't even taken her out yet.

1911 Forums
"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 19:36   #49
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Very nice. Go shoot it until the 20lpi checkering turns your hand white!!

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:01   #50
happy seal

Nice Qnman, You better get yourself a reloading kit if you don't already have one to support your new addiction. I am looking for a reloading kit - hint hint hint!

"Off to the Salt Mine, My Friend"
happy seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:36   #51
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy seal View Post
Nice Qnman, You better get yourself a reloading kit if you don't already have one to support your new addiction. I am looking for a reloading kit - hint hint hint!
LOL. I have been reloading .45 ACP for about five years to feed my G21 habit.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 14:40   #52
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Update with range report:

After firing the TRP, I can report much happiness...

I ran it next to my Sig 1911, so that's what I was comparing it to. The Sig has a nice trigger. A little bit more take-up than I like, and a little stacking at the end, but nothing horrible.

The TRP is like breaking the proverbial glass rod. That trigger is BUTTER.

The Sig is not a light gun... it is a full frame stainless with light rail. However, without having put them on the scales, there is no doubt in my mind the TRP weighs more. Not objectionably so, but undoubtedly more.

The front strap - both are proclaimed to be 20 LPI checkering. However, there is no comparison in the hand; the TRP grips WAY more than the Sig. The Sig feels... er, "abrasive", but not "sharp". The TRP feels SHARP. I was joking with a friend that I could soak my hand in 5W-30 and still maintain a good grip on this thing. I have soft, office hands, because... well, because I work in an office. I hit a keyboard all day most days. Still, while rough, after about 3-minutes shooting it, I quit noticing it so much.

The Sig holds a decent grouping - about 3 inches at 10-yards, freehand.

The TRP does about the same (no, I don't pretend that is the guns accuracy - just how I shoot it. I am certain the TRP can beat that).

Double-taps is what separates the two... With the Sig on an 8-inch target, I can hit both rounds in the target about half the time. The other half the time, I pull high - sometimes high right, sometimes high left, sometimes high center, but always high.

With the TRP - ALL shots stayed WITHIN the 8-inch target. I tried this with 40-rounds in a row (Four 10-round magazines, double-tap). NO fliers off the target. In fact, VERY FEW outside the 8-ring. I attribute this to the sweet trigger, the grippy front strap, and the mass of the TRP.

I am currently out of hollowpoints, so I was unable to test it for feeding (neither had a single hiccup with plated Berrys). However, I DID pick up some sweet SWC's today, so once I get those rolled up, it may be a "next step" testing. If I can find some flying ashtrays, I'll test those too.

All in all, the TRP has moved to the front of the class in my gun safe.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 23:17   #53
Mad Ryan

I highly recommend the 10-8 .156 wide rear sight. Makes the TRP perfect.
Old 02-11-2013, 21:51   #54
brisk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
Well... Here she is. I think I'm in love and I haven't even taken her out yet.

1911 Forums

Nice "Bac-like" camera angle!!
brisk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 22:56   #55
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post
That was the inspiration...

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 23:40   #56
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNman View Post
Update with range report:

After firing the TRP, I can report much happiness...

I ran it next to my Sig 1911, so that's what I was comparing it to. The Sig has a nice trigger. A little bit more take-up than I like, and a little stacking at the end, but nothing horrible.

The TRP is like breaking the proverbial glass rod. That trigger is BUTTER.

The Sig is not a light gun... it is a full frame stainless with light rail. However, without having put them on the scales, there is no doubt in my mind the TRP weighs more. Not objectionably so, but undoubtedly more.

The front strap - both are proclaimed to be 20 LPI checkering. However, there is no comparison in the hand; the TRP grips WAY more than the Sig. The Sig feels... er, "abrasive", but not "sharp". The TRP feels SHARP. I was joking with a friend that I could soak my hand in 5W-30 and still maintain a good grip on this thing. I have soft, office hands, because... well, because I work in an office. I hit a keyboard all day most days. Still, while rough, after about 3-minutes shooting it, I quit noticing it so much.

The Sig holds a decent grouping - about 3 inches at 10-yards, freehand.

The TRP does about the same (no, I don't pretend that is the guns accuracy - just how I shoot it. I am certain the TRP can beat that).

Double-taps is what separates the two... With the Sig on an 8-inch target, I can hit both rounds in the target about half the time. The other half the time, I pull high - sometimes high right, sometimes high left, sometimes high center, but always high.

With the TRP - ALL shots stayed WITHIN the 8-inch target. I tried this with 40-rounds in a row (Four 10-round magazines, double-tap). NO fliers off the target. In fact, VERY FEW outside the 8-ring. I attribute this to the sweet trigger, the grippy front strap, and the mass of the TRP.

I am currently out of hollowpoints, so I was unable to test it for feeding (neither had a single hiccup with plated Berrys). However, I DID pick up some sweet SWC's today, so once I get those rolled up, it may be a "next step" testing. If I can find some flying ashtrays, I'll test those too.

All in all, the TRP has moved to the front of the class in my gun safe.
Awesome!

It looks great and I'm glad you like it.

As for the weight, its a hefty 1911. In fact, its the heaviest 1911 I own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-11-2013, 23:41   #57
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisk21 View Post

Old 02-24-2013, 11:13   #58
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Update: VZ grips. Pardon the amateurish photos.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 21:13   #59
Krigloch
BACONEER

Send a message via AIM to Krigloch
nice!
How do those grips feel?

Krigloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 21:34   #60
QNman
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigloch View Post
nice!
How do those grips feel?
Sweet. Grippy, but not 60-grit.

TERM LIMITS NOW!!!