Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 21:31   #1
DonD

Bruce Willis Opposes Anti gun Laws

It was interesting to see Willis apparently testifying in front of Congress (I was at the gym and there was no audio and I came in late to the clip).

I was very pleasantly surprised that he was opposing anti gun legislation. He also opposed censoring Hollywood saying that people recognize that it is entertainment not reality.

A breath of fresh air, not like the hypocrites such as Schwarzenneger, Damon, Bacon, Stallone etc. who make untold millions with violent gun laden movies. Don
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 23:33   #2
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Why does he get to testifying in front of Congress?

It is nice that he is on our side, but I really don't care what a celebrity think.
Old 02-06-2013, 23:40   #3
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWBlue View Post

It is nice that he is on our side, but I really don't care what a celebrity think.
He is a citizen, just as you are......that's why.

It's obvious that Willis isn't taking a stance for promoting self within the theatrical industry.......possibly because he is a headliner, and his success is why he is free to speak freely.

It bothers me that many actors have a response that is geared to gather favor in the industry, and some of them will not be free to express an honest opinion......simply because it will not be good for their career.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 23:50   #4
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
He is a citizen, just as you are......that's why.

ooc
When was the last time you testified before congress on guns?
Old 02-06-2013, 23:54   #5
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Are you saying citizens are barred from speaking to congress?

ooc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:56   #6
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD View Post
It was interesting to see Willis apparently testifying in front of Congress (I was at the gym and there was no audio and I came in late to the magazine).

Don
Don, I fixed it for you.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03   #7
DonD

Quote:

In general, I think most comments expressed by celebrities aren't worth the breath used to make them. Congress and politicians shouldn't care either.

In this case, since so many actors are anti gun and get air time, I'm pleased to hear a positive voice. Later that day Brian Williams gave air time to Tony Bennett who was anti gun. I could give a rip less what some codger of a singer has to say and turned it off.

Fortunately, the national media is giving steadily less coverage to anti gun commentary/proposed legislation and I think the odds of any significant restrictions passing are getting slim. Don
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00   #8
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying citizens are barred from speaking to congress?

ooc
So you have never testified before congress?
Have you ever tried to get in and testify before congress?

BTW, This is not about talking to your congress person. This is getting in front of congress.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07   #9
fuzzy03cls

Do you REALLY want normal citizen up there? Think about it....

I met Willis once at a cancer fundraiser in NYC. He seemed like a nice guy. Was joking with some of the guys. He didn't come off as a ass.
fuzzy03cls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:01   #10
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy03cls View Post
Do you REALLY want normal citizen up there? Think about it....

I met Willis once at a cancer fundraiser in NYC. He seemed like a nice guy. Was joking with some of the guys. He didn't come off as a ass.

I think people are people.

For each nice celebrity who is genuinely a nice person and pro-gun, there is a freak who is not in touch with reality.

General Firearms Forum
Old 02-07-2013, 18:45   #11
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
So you have never testified before congress?
Have you ever tried to get in and testify before congress?

BTW, This is not about talking to your congress person. This is getting in front of congress.
Not really sure what your point is, RWBlue.......

The point I was trying to make was Bruce Willis testified as a citizen speaking specifically about his own personal beliefs, not as an entertainer.......or, that's the way I took it.

I have not testified before congress, and I've never asked to do so. I do believe I have that right, and it's a possibility that an unknown citizen, like myself, does have a reasonable chance of speaking before congress. I'm supposing that's the point where we may differ........Do you think I could not request, nor have any reasonable chance of being chosen to speak?

ooc

Old 02-07-2013, 20:44   #12
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Quote:
Not really sure what your point is, RWBlue.......

.Do you think I could not request, nor have any reasonable chance of being chosen to speak?

ooc
You have better odds on winning the lottery vs. testifying in front of congress.

The closest I have come is preparing documents and I am 99% sure they were never read.

My point is, if someone got celebrity status for doing ABC, then they should get to testify as an expert in ABC. If someone became an expert by dancing with some stars, they should not be a source we go to for knowledge about ABC.

So we have Chris Rock telling us Obama is our daddy. I am sorry, I know who my dad is. It is NOT Obama. We have Jessica Alba telling us how bad guns are. What the hell do they know about guns, or who my daddy is?

If they brought in hunter, shooter, cops, hell even criminals....
Old 02-07-2013, 21:34   #13
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
You have better odds on winning the lottery vs. testifying in front of congress.

The closest I have come is preparing documents and I am 99% sure they were never read.

My point is, if someone got celebrity status for doing ABC, then they should get to testify as an expert in ABC. If someone became an expert by dancing with some stars, they should not be a source we go to for knowledge about ABC.

So we have Chris Rock telling us Obama is our daddy. I am sorry, I know who my dad is. It is NOT Obama. We have Jessica Alba telling us how bad guns are. What the hell do they know about guns, or who my daddy is?

If they brought in hunter, shooter, cops, hell even criminals....
In the entertainment world, there is a distinct advantage for following the liberal template.......it serves to advance careers of those who depend on acceptance in those circles for getting work in their field.

In the case of Bruce Willis, he has evolved far beyond the need for acceptance by his peer group. He may have needed that "ladder to success" at one time, but has evolved to the point where he doesn't need to walk the line to find work......and, that is why he has more credibility than other entertainers who may (or may not) be motivated by the established route to success.

I think I'm beginning to see why you, RWBlue, might be influenced by your not being accepted to speak before congress......you did try, and you didn't speak. I probably wouldn't be accepted either. It's likely that it's not the congress that influenced your even hearing of Willis, Rock, or Alba........but, the MSM had more to do with that than congress did.........

ooc

Old 02-07-2013, 22:42   #14
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

BTW, I have nothing against Bruce. He appears to be an ok person. He plays himself most of the time, so that helps.

BTW2, I should never be in front of congress on the subject. I may be inclined to call the congress something if they start telling me that taking away my rights saves lives.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20   #15
DonD

Quote:
BTW2, I should never be in front of congress on the subject. I may be inclined to call the congress something if they start telling me that taking away my rights saves lives.
It would take a lot of composure to keep from telling someone like Feinstein what an idiot she is and how outrageous her attacks on the 2nd Amendment are. Don