Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:24   #1
HauntedAlabama

Ruger or Savage

I want a nice .22 rifle to plink, target shoot, and teach some kids shooting with. Was wanting a heavy barrel and was eyeballing a Ruger 10/22 target rifle when I saw a Savage Mark II FV-SR. Can some of you comment that know about these rifles. Are there any other manufactures I should look into as well? I appreciate your help and look forward to the response.
HauntedAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:40   #2
Ratrod

I just bought a Remington 597 Heavy barrel 16.5" because I couldnt find a 10 22. I will keep it until I can find a Ruger. If you find one on the shelf and it is available I recommend getting it ,around here so much is unavailable.
Ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:30   #3
sublime

How old are the kids? I'm a believer in starting young kids off with a single shot 22 rifle. Will save you ammo too
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:42   #4
HauntedAlabama

Nd
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime View Post
How old are the kids? I'm a believer in starting young kids off with a single shot 22 rifle. Will save you ammo too
10 to 16. There are a couple of younger ones but I have an old single shot they can learn on. I want something nicer than my old Winchester for me too lol. It's not just for the kids but I want something they will enjoy too.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51   #5
fgutie35

I have a Ruger 10/22 because of the availability of accesories and hi cap mags. Having said that, I would suggest a savage for accuracy. I had a 64F that would make prescision shooting look easy. I sold that one to my brother-in-law and I regret it now. If money is not an option, then you have your anshutz's and kimbers out there.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05   #6
NBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgutie35 View Post
I have a Ruger 10/22 because of the availability of accesories and hi cap mags. Having said that, I would suggest a savage for accuracy. I had a 64F that would make prescision shooting look easy. I sold that one to my brother-in-law and I regret it now. If money is not an option, then you have your anshutz's and kimbers out there.
I purchased my Ruger 10/22 in 1984...still shoot's great today.
Savage has really done an excellent job in recent years, and produce some excellent, and accurate rifles. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

IF your interested in a Marlin Model 70, hit me with a PM...I will make you a deal that you can't refuse. It's clean, I have about 7 magazines with it and it's a great little plinker.

Rimfire Forum

Last edited by NBT; 02-07-2013 at 11:07..
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23   #7
Victoriagotagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedAlabama View Post
I want a nice .22 rifle to plink, target shoot, and teach some kids shooting with. Was wanting a heavy barrel and was eyeballing a Ruger 10/22 target rifle when I saw a Savage Mark II FV-SR. Can some of you comment that know about these rifles. Are there any other manufactures I should look into as well? I appreciate your help and look forward to the response.
I have had a stock 10/22 carbine for years and recently put a set of Tech-Sights on it and its now become one of my favorite rifles so I might be a little biased. The Savage will serve you well but if I was looking into a bolt action....I would seriously look into the CZ rifles.

"Glocks are for criminals" -Nick_45
Victoriagotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09   #8
Ken52789

Both are very nice guns! 10/22's have a massive amount of aftermarket parts available allowing one to customize their gun in a million ways. I have a stock 10/22 that shoots amazing, a custom 10/22 with a hogue stock 16" bull barrel, and a savage fv-sr. The fv-sr is quickly becoming my favorite due to ammo being jacked up in price and availability.
Ken52789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:17   #9
ManimalsKingdom

cant go worong with a ruger 10/22 but...

the Savage Rascals are real nice as well especially for teachin the young ones
ManimalsKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:52   #10
BenjiEDF

I have more fun plinking with my bolt action CZ (way more accurate and solid feeling) than I do do wth my Ruger 10/22. I'd go with a Savage or a CZ 452,453 or 455 bolt gun depending on your price range.

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rimfire-rifles/

"Life is good" ~Hickok45

Last edited by BenjiEDF; 02-07-2013 at 12:53..
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 14:12   #11
oneuglygun

We got the Savage 93 MKII and they are a great gun for the money. The two we have will shoot 50 yard groups that I couldn't believe. You would have to go with a high dollar custom build to shoot any better ! We put 36 power scopes on them and spent extra for target ammo. The CCI green tag or Wolfe shoots the best in ours. For plinking with cheap ammo I would just use a 3x9 scope or even a red dot for the kids. I love my Ruger 10-22 (second year of production) and it shoots great , but it won't shoot with the Savage. Also have a couple of Marlin 22s that the grandkids like to shoot. You probably should contact the guy above with the Marlin for sale. Magazines are cheap and easy to find for it.
oneuglygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 16:35   #12
CMG

My FV-SR has been great... and I like the short OAL for walking around. The weight is quite a bit less than a 10/22T as well. The Accu-trigger is good and adjustable within a certain range. No knocks from me on the 10/22, but I think for your stated uses, the Savage would also serve you well.

Rimfire Forum
Old 02-07-2013, 17:27   #13
GIG4FUN

I have a Ruger 10/22 and recommend it because there's so darm many things out there if you want to add-on/mod it!

Truly a fantastic aftermarket for this model. I've bought about everything I can for it. Sometimes it has the folding stock sometimes it doesn't. I have seven of the Ruger BX25 hi-cap magazines too, There's different trigger groups and the sky's the limit for other things once you get to diggin' in and looking. It is a POPULAR rifle.

When you get it, I suggest the sight I bought.... (I even use their iPhone app with it --- "chuckle")
Nikon P22
SArmory XDm.45compact - H&K .45c / NRA member
S&W & Browning & Ruger & Winchester & Remington
GIG4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:08   #14
bac1023

I'd go with the Ruger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43   #15
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I'm a Ruger fan, but unless you're planning on only shooting from a benchrest, I'd skip on the heavy barrel target model. Those things are HEAVY. Just get a standard carbine, or a DSP with a nice stock.

I can't think of any "bad" 22 rifles. I just happen to like the 10/22.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:35   #16
Bob Hafler

I think I'd go with the Ruger. If for no other reason is the availability of accessories that the kids might want at a later date. The 10/22 is the Lego rifle of all rifles.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:48   #17
Unk

CZ 452 Varmint.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54   #18
CigarandScotch
Fartacus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
CZ 452 Varmint.
+1 CZ makes a tack driver for a fraction of the cost of others in its accuracy class.
Old 02-11-2013, 22:08   #19
HauntedAlabama

Thanks for the input. I picked up a Ruger 10/22 Tactical tonight at the lgs. I handled a couple of Savages and I am thinking I will get a .22 magnum Savage here in the near future. Going to order some mags tonight from Ruger and I will be set. Thanks again, I have enjoyed looking up the various recommendations but inventory is shot and the CZ's aren't around to handle.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26   #20
Zyzogg
Bartender

Man you can't go wrong with either one. I was faced with the same choice a year or so ago. Other forums suggested the Savage was better. The trigger on the Rugar seemed a little crisper, Savage was adjustable. Wound up with the Savage.

I put an inexpensive scope on it. I hated the plastic stock on it. I couldn't line my face up to the scope with it. An adjustabe cheekpiece would be needed here. I was going to do that but wound up buying a Richard's microfit target stock for it. From the discount page. The gun looks so cool!

I expect it to shoot past 100 yards, and that is what it does. Very well I might add. Biggest problem I have is how inconsistant most .22 ammo is. Have tried about everything that Sportsman's carry. Seens like CCI standards work as well as any for me, but I think there should be better. Recently have been playing with Lapua, might be where I will go. Still working on that.
Zyzogg is offline   Reply With Quote