SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:24   #21
clinttho

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
All of my local privately owned shops either have snap caps or will allow you to dry fire the guns in the store.

Big chains are the ones I see that have trigger locks that can't be removed and wont allow dry firing or field stripping of the gun for inspection.

I wont buy a used gun if I can't cycle the action, field strip, and dry fire the gun.
I was surprised that Cabelas let me dry fire all the guns I looked at the day I bought my FNX, and I would not have purchased from there had they not. One of the lgs here will let you, one won't. Dunno about gander mountain but I'd guess they won't let you try triggers. I don't need to field strip but I do like to dry fire and test the action- if I can't I figure I might as well save the money and order it sight unseen.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:19   #22
Booker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMG View Post
Yes.... for a nominal fee...
I split a thumbnail testing a S&W revolver using that technique.

That was back in the day when S&W put the firing pins on the hammer!
Booker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 15:00   #23
mist

If the manufacturer permits dry firing of a particular firearm I see nothing wrong with it as long as permission is granted by the seller. Dry firing a brand new revolver, especially with a blued finish, may be frowned upon in an attempt to keep the cylinder turn ring to a minimum.

As stated in previous posts, I've seen people, sellers and purchasers, do some pretty stupid stuff in their attempts to impress others with their handling abilities. Spinning the cylinder and slamming it shut, using the slide lock to drop the slide on an empty chamber, slamming a magazine home "Magnum P.I." style to name a few. Watching them is like watching a train wreck; you want to close your eyes and turn away but you can't.
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:35   #24
Hines57
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregoryb View Post
... and it's hear, not here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregoryb View Post
why do you want to filed strip the gun?
I believe you meant field, not filed.
Hines57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:02   #25
clinttho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist View Post
If the manufacturer permits dry firing of a particular firearm I see nothing wrong with it as long as permission is granted by the seller. Dry firing a brand new revolver, especially with a blued finish, may be frowned upon in an attempt to keep the cylinder turn ring to a minimum.

As stated in previous posts, I've seen people, sellers and purchasers, do some pretty stupid stuff in their attempts to impress others with their handling abilities. Spinning the cylinder and slamming it shut, using the slide lock to drop the slide on an empty chamber, slamming a magazine home "Magnum P.I." style to name a few. Watching them is like watching a train wreck; you want to close your eyes and turn away but you can't.
That's what gets me, particularly with the revolver one. The employee could have bent the ejector rod or crane, broken the locking bolt (just off the top of my head) with his mishandling, then tells me not to dry fire, claiming its bad for the gun. I'm wondering if some gun store employees get all of their training from movies?! And not from books or workshops/classes. It's crazy they'd let the clerks cowboy the revolvers like that but not allow dry firing.

Going back to the original point- yes, gun shops should have snap caps for each display gun, at least in a box behind the counter (far enough behind that customers can't access them and steal them, as one poster hypothesized) if they don't want you to pull the trigger on an empty chamber. heck, what would it hurt to keep one in the mag or cylinder of every display gun? If the clerk is watching no one will make off with any of the caps. And if the customer wants to fire the gun it's "safe" for the gun, and it will only help sales as there are certainly customers who need to test the trigger to commit to buying a firearm. I doubt anyone would refuse to buy because snap caps are present. Doesn't make sense not to have them IMO, unless the gun store wants the guns action to be kept either opened or closed and not worked much to retain the NIB finish on the display models.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
clinttho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23   #26
grg3d

Well...itís not just you that dry fires the weapon; I would never purchase a gun from the display case. To me itís usedÖ. as itís been handled by everyone and I prefer one that has not been dry fired 200 to 300 times before I purchase it

"Around here, we consider a car jacking to be a suicide."
grg3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:44   #27
RWBlue
CLM Number 120
Mr. CISSP, CISA

Buy your own snap caps. Take them with you. If a gun store has issues with dry firing then the snap caps solve the issue.

Personally, I have been buying most everything over the internet because it is not available locally.