GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-04-2013, 22:35   #41
rustytxrx

It something I consider when I carry. I don't want to start another "issue" but I carry and load considering penetration
Old 02-04-2013, 23:27   #42
orangeride

I know this contdictory, but normally at closer range and higher vel you get less penetration. I've seen it a lot in deer hunting with a rifle.
orangeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22   #43
Cwlongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I gotta ask this question. I'm not a hunter nor will I ever be.

That notwithstanding I always wonder... Look at your experience. That deer was shot at 45 feet. Bullet was all over then existed. What happens when you shoot a bad guy at 7 feet...is that bullet going right through? I mean deer skin is pretty frigin' tough.

I carry hot 10mm... Hotter than silver tips and I wonder the same about myself.
The shot was YARDS, not feet.

Even 45 FEET is a very long personal protection shot...

But yes, I agree, that bullet would likely have penetrated a person easier than it did that deer... At that angle, the deer is ''thicker'' than a person unless the person was angled to shoot thru the side and both arms. BUT that would likely include more and heavier bones.

Add heavy winter clothing and or heavy muscular bodies and things change again...

Back on topic....

DAMN THAT'S A BIG PIG!!

CW
Old 02-05-2013, 04:58   #44
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeride View Post
I know this contdictory, but normally at closer range and higher vel you get less penetration. I've seen it a lot in deer hunting with a rifle.
This is a good point
Old 02-08-2013, 10:14   #45
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDiesel View Post
I agree...I fired two shots very quickly and knocked the boar down, (I regret not taking him down to the local feed store to weigh it, but I would conservatively guess 350-400lbs). he got to his feet and stumbled like a drunk a few steps and died right there. I've seen more large whitetails drop on the spot with a 30-06 than I've had to track.

It comes down to being able to put enough energy into the vital organs to immediately destroy the tissue. a bonded 180gr .40 slug at high velocity has both the surface area to reach more tissue than a 9mm or similar, and the shock of 840lbs of energy that stays in the target in the slug doesn't pass through.

With this pig, both slugs were recovered and as far as I could tell, the extreme damage to the heart and lungs has something to do with the speed and weight.

It is my opinion that this is the true "norma" load (180gr bonded slug going 1400+fps) that was adopted by the feds after the Miami shootout. It does have a stiff recoil a very load report, so I can see why some weaker agents had difficulty with it. I would not be surprised if other federal agencies use the 10mm and we just don't know.

If your still reading, my father and I were shocked at the damage to the pigs heart/lungs...if this were a 400lb athletic BG, would you want a 40S&W at 1,000fps or a 10mm with almost 50%more velocity?

-Diesel
I'd carry the 10mm for sure.
Old 02-09-2013, 00:18   #46
gatorboy

Quote:
I gotta ask this question. I'm not a hunter nor will I ever be.

That notwithstanding I always wonder... Look at your experience. That deer was shot at 45 feet. Bullet was all over then existed. What happens when you shoot a bad guy at 7 feet...is that bullet going right through? I mean deer skin is pretty frigin tough.

I carry hot 10mm... Hotter than silvertips and I wonder the same about myself.
Worst case scenario, the prosecutor digs up all your interwebs accounts and finds this thread. No pleading ignorance from this point on. Be responsible, the .40 works fine on scumbags and you don't need to buy ammo from some guy who makes it in his garage (or your garage). Been shooting 10mm for 12 years. 155's would be max weight if you plan on carrying IF you're worried about it. If not, F it!

Last edited by gatorboy; 02-09-2013 at 00:19..
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:55   #47
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
Worst case scenario, the prosecutor digs up all your interwebs accounts and finds this thread. No pleading ignorance from this point on. Be responsible, the .40 works fine on scumbags and you don't need to buy ammo from some guy who makes it in his garage (or your garage). Been shooting 10mm for 12 years. 155's would be max weight if you plan on carrying IF you're worried about it. If not, F it!

155 is what I carry
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08   #48
oldman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
These "over powered" or "over penetration" arguments sure sound familiar. They had all the same arguments back in the 1960 era when 357 magnums were becoming more popular, versus 38 special.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38   #49
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman11 View Post
These "over powered" or "over penetration" arguments sure sound familiar. They had all the same arguments back in the 1960 era when 357 magnums were becoming more popular, versus 38 special.
.357s in the 60's and 70's, .40 S&W in the 80's and 90's. I wonder what will be next - energy weapons?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47   #50
wlkjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCmasterblaster View Post
.357s in the 60's and 70's, .40 S&W in the 80's and 90's. I wonder what will be next - energy weapons?
I can have a Death Ray but I'm limited to no. 4 on the dial and after pushing the Fire button 7 times I will have to power down and restart.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53   #51
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlkjr View Post
I can have a Death Ray but I'm limited to no. 4 on the dial and after pushing the Fire button 7 times I will have to power down and restart.
I am ignorant of this technology . . . . . .
Old 02-10-2013, 16:45   #52
oldman11

I got a good laugh over that one. The scary part is you could be right.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 00:11   #53
gatorboy

Quote:
155 is what I carry
Same here.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 22:54   #54
2c5s

10mm for me, every single day. If you want to carry less gun, go ahead, I choose to carry more.
STI Shadow 3" 10mm, SA micro compact 10mm
STI Eclipse 3" 2011 10mm
2c5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00   #55
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2c5s View Post
10mm for me, every single day. If you want to carry less gun, go ahead, I choose to carry more.
Go for it!