Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2012, 15:47   #1
Sherlock Glock
Lifetime Membership

Trigger help for S&W 15-22

Trigger help for S&W 15-22
I have been told that nothing can be replaced and others say any trigger that fits an AR will go into the 22LR S&W 15-22.
So I am asking y'all the experts, what can i do about the terrible trigger?
Old 02-13-2012, 16:42   #2
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

The S&W M&P 15-22 uses a standard AR trigger group. Any aftermarket AR trigger system will work. Take your pick.

Since the 15-22 is just a trainer & mostly fun gun, I personally don't see the rationale of installing an expensive trigger set up.

I've just started looking into ALG Defense triggers, so far they look like a good value for the dollar.

http://www.algdefense.com/

You can also try lightly polishing the sear & disconnect to remove the grittiness. Be very careful & take your time. A set of JP Enterprises "yellow" reduced power springs can help. I use everything but the hammer spring. With the yellow hammer spring I was getting light strikes.

Last edited by JaPes; 02-13-2012 at 17:03..
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 19:01   #3
CMG

If you just want to lighten the pull, mine have responded very well to the lighter springs sold by JP Enterprises.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7...WER-SPRING-KIT
Old 02-13-2012, 19:25   #4
tinman517

As noted above, the JP reduced power spring kit worked for my 15-22. It's as smooth or crisp, as my ARs. However, I'm not going to drop a Geissele trigger into my 15-22 either.

The 15-22's trigger will smooth out over time.
tinman517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 00:54   #5
Sherlock Glock
Lifetime Membership

Thanks for the information.
I just ordered the spring kit from Brownells.
Old 02-06-2013, 13:56   #6
SouthernBoyVA

Any problems with failure to fire with these lighter springs? I was going to get a Geissele SSA-E trigger for my M&P 15 22-A1 but heard that this is not a drop in for this rifle.
Old 02-06-2013, 14:06   #7
mlyon55

I've used the yellow springs in mine for about 3 years. No problems.
mlyon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:47   #8
CMG

No light strikes in mine either...
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42   #9
DJ Niner

I've been using a Rock River Arms two-stage trigger in mine for several years now, with no problems or complaints. Same trigger I use in a couple of my other ARs; I wanted them all to have a similar "feel" to the trigger action.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51   #10
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
I've been using a Rock River Arms two-stage trigger in mine for several years now, with no problems or complaints. Same trigger I use in a couple of my other ARs; I wanted them all to have a similar "feel" to the trigger action.
Did you have to file the flat spot on the safety a little to allow it to clear the trigger assembly or was it a drop in and go trigger?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:51   #11
SouthernBoyVA

Thursday morning, 2/7/13.

Just got finished installing a Geissele SSA-E trigger in my M&P 15 22-A1 carbine. This is a drop in install with no problems. It installs just like any other AR that I have done. I talked to an armorer at the gun shop where I bought this trigger (they carry Geissele triggers and M&P rifles in stock - when they can get them). This man has done a number of trigger installs in the M&P 15-22 rifle and one thing he did recommend was to use the OEM hammer spring instead of the one which comes with the Geissele trigger. This will eliminate any chance of the bolt failing to retract and both eject spent cases and feed fresh rounds because of the heavy hammer spring. I have to say that the Geissele hammer spring is pretty strong so I took the Geissele hammer back out and replaced their spring with the OEM spring and it does feel not as strong. The proof is going to be discovered at the range.

This new trigger is far better than the stock unit (of course I can't dry fire it... had to do the feel test with the lower unit separated and stopping the hammer with my thumb). So that's what I experienced. A simple drop in install with no surprises and a high quality trigger. If I had it to do over, I would go with the SSA version and not the enhanced version. But that's just me. I have an SSA in one of my AR's and like it a lot.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 02-07-2013 at 10:54..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:40   #12
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
Did you have to file the flat spot on the safety a little to allow it to clear the trigger assembly or was it a drop in and go trigger?
Well, I didn't have to file a flat spot, but I also had the safety lever out during the process, so I can't really tell you if filing was required on the install or not. I guess you could say on my gun, it was drop in, reassemble the mostly-detail-stripped lower, and go.

Trivia note: I remember having the safety lever out, because I was surprised to find (on my early gun, at least) that the safety was convertible for left-hand use. It had two sets of detent holes/notches, one set on each side of the lever's rotating bearing surfaces.
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:44   #13
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
Well, I didn't have to file a flat spot, but I also had the safety lever out during the process, so I can't really tell you if filing was required on the install or not. I guess you could say on my gun, it was drop in, reassemble the mostly-detail-stripped lower, and go.

Trivia note: I remember having the safety lever out, because I was surprised to find (on my early gun, at least) that the safety was convertible for left-hand use. It had two sets of detent holes/notches, one set on each side of the lever's rotating bearing surfaces.
Note my post (#11) just above. I installed a Geissele SSA-E yesterday morning in my M&P 15 22-A1 Carbine and it was a simple drop in affair. I did not have to remove the grip or the safety, nor did I have to file the flat spot on the safety. It went right in. Note also what the armorer told me about using the stock OEM hammer spring instead of the spring that comes with the new trigger. His points are well taken though it does make for a very light trigger. In retrospect, I would recommend installing the Geissele SSA instead of the enhanced version because of this.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11   #14
SouthernBoyVA

An update to the Geissele SSA-E trigger I put in my M&P 15 22-A1 Carbine yesterday.

Less than an hour ago, I checked the trigger weight using a Lyman digital gauge and the average of three measurements was 3 pounds, 13 ounces. Keep in mind that this includes the weight of BOTH stages. The wall at stage two feels lighter than this and breaks like a glass rod.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 02-08-2013 at 18:27..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote