Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 20:50   #21
PVolk

Well, I bought the 22/45 today.

First thing I did when I got home was disassemble it just to learn how to do it. It came apart fairly easy, but wouldn't go back together at all. The hammer kept interfering with the top of the mainspring housing. I finally got it back together, but now the gun is non-functioning. And the mainspring housing won't come back out. It's been a bit of a nightmare to say the least. I'll probably be taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07   #22
bac1023

I have the Beretta and Ruger.

While I like the Neos, I feel you made the right choice. Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:14   #23
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Duplicate post
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 02-09-2013 at 04:33..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:22   #24
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVolk View Post
Well, I bought the 22/45 today.

First thing I did when I got home was disassemble it just to learn how to do it. It came apart fairly easy, but wouldn't go back together at all. The hammer kept interfering with the top of the mainspring housing. I finally got it back together, but now the gun is non-functioning. And the mainspring housing won't come back out. It's been a bit of a nightmare to say the least. I'll probably be taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow.
What you have done is fairly common. The hammer strut is out of place in the recess where it's supposed to go. You didn't get the hammer far enough forward probably. I've done the same thing, not once, but twice. I even scared up the housing prying on it with a screwdriver. Don't do that.

But I never had to take them to a gunsmith. I just kept "fooling with it" until I got the mainspring out. Turn it over, shake it, wiggle it, and eventually it will open back up. I can't tell you exactly what I did, because I don't know myself.

Then when you get it apart again, follow the direction to the letter. When you get to the part about the letting the hammer fall forward, remember it will not "fall" anywhere. You'll have to push it. Take a pencil or a screwdriver and push the hammer into a more or less vertical position. There is a little strut that dangles down from the hammer. (If you don't get the hammer far enough forward, that strut will get hung up behind a pin in the frame.) In the mainspring there is a little cup shaped recess. That strut has to fit in that cup. Get it out of position, and it will lock up as you described.

Once you get the hammer forward, and get the mainspring back in, point the gun vertically, so that strut dangles loose, then start to close it up. If you don't feel a slight resistance, the hammer strut is out of place. And it should be just a slight resistance, not hard, but not easy. Just a little.

Good luck with it. Once you understand how they work it's a snap to put one back together. It's that first couple of times that get you.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15   #25
grg3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
The Ruger is greatly upgradeable.
Mine newer MKIII had some teething problems when it was new. That was traced to the casings ejecting off from the magazine. It was a quick fix. Now the Ruger will feed and fire any ammo on the market but the mexican ammo with no powder in the casings.

It will fire both high speed and regular velocity ammunition with no problems.

This^

"Around here, we consider a car jacking to be a suicide."
grg3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:26   #26
Bren
NRA Life Member

If I was getting a .22 handgun, I'd probably go with a Ruger single-action revolver, just for fun. I've never seen a very reliable .22 semi-auto pistol.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57   #27
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
If I was getting a .22 handgun, I'd probably go with a Ruger single-action revolver, just for fun. I've never seen a very reliable .22 semi-auto pistol.
Browning 1911-22.

Rimfire Forum
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 21:46   #28
PVolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
What you have done is fairly common. The hammer strut is out of place in the recess where it's supposed to go. You didn't get the hammer far enough forward probably. I've done the same thing, not once, but twice. I even scared up the housing prying on it with a screwdriver. Don't do that.

But I never had to take them to a gunsmith. I just kept "fooling with it" until I got the mainspring out. Turn it over, shake it, wiggle it, and eventually it will open back up. I can't tell you exactly what I did, because I don't know myself.

Then when you get it apart again, follow the direction to the letter. When you get to the part about the letting the hammer fall forward, remember it will not "fall" anywhere. You'll have to push it. Take a pencil or a screwdriver and push the hammer into a more or less vertical position. There is a little strut that dangles down from the hammer. (If you don't get the hammer far enough forward, that strut will get hung up behind a pin in the frame.) In the mainspring there is a little cup shaped recess. That strut has to fit in that cup. Get it out of position, and it will lock up as you described.

Once you get the hammer forward, and get the mainspring back in, point the gun vertically, so that strut dangles loose, then start to close it up. If you don't feel a slight resistance, the hammer strut is out of place. And it should be just a slight resistance, not hard, but not easy. Just a little.

Good luck with it. Once you understand how they work it's a snap to put one back together. It's that first couple of times that get you.
Thanks for the post. I realized what I did after I did it. But after dicking with it for over an hour, I couldn't get the hammer to move to get the mainspring housing open again. If I have to pay the gunsmith $20 to avoid stress and gray hairs, it's probably worth it. Not to mention, he can show me how to reassemble it properly and avoid doing what I did again. I know I'll learn more from him in person that I did from the Ruger video.
Old 02-09-2013, 23:14   #29
Kentucky Shooter
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysoto View Post
The Beretta and the Smith and nowhere near on the same league as the Ruger...

Get yourself the Ruger (or a Browning Buckmark) and you will be happy.

BTW finding .22LR ammo to shoot your new gun will be no easy task.
Great advice--- get the Ruger