SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:19   #21
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Thank you, that explains the looks, lane changes.

Keep practicing, it gets easier and stop looking for reactions. Keep your situational awareness, just look for bad guys, not scared people.
Please see my post below. What this fellow experienced is highly unusual.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25   #22
AZson

OC is pretty much a shoot me first bad guy or steal my gun with your gun event. I've done it once that all.
Old 02-03-2013, 13:08   #23
concretefuzzynuts
Brew Crew

I mostly CC but here in Virginia Beach it is not uncommon to see someone OC. No one says a word usually.

I was in Home Depot a couple of months ago and while waiting for my paint to be mixed I looked over to my right and saw a guy OCing. Soon another man walked up and asked what holster that was and if the OCer liked it and stated what holster he was CCing. Next a second guy who overheard the conversation commented that he used a holster made by the same company for CC.

I was also CCing but didn't chime into the bro-fest. There were 4 of us excersizing out rights at the paint counter that day! God bless whats left of America.
GTDS Member #7
GOTOD Member #757
Snub Club Member #757
NRA Member
concretefuzzynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:19   #24
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
Please see my post below. What this fellow experienced is highly unusual.
Okay...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 13:23   #25
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
OC is pretty much a shoot me first bad guy or steal my gun with your gun event. I've done it once that all.
Yeah, that happens a lot, doesn't it? I can think of one in Richmond at a location where you would never find me OCing, and there are a couple, maybe three gun grabs on record.

What are some you've come across?

Thanks...

Old 02-03-2013, 13:39   #26
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
You're kidding. I live about 6 miles from Manassas and go there a lot. I have never had a negative comment or reaction in Manassas in the over 5 1/2 years I have been OC'ing on a regular basis. Manassas is a no brainer, as is Virginia in general, to open carry. Just in the past two weeks I OC'd in Shoppers on Sudley Manor, Costco, Philadephia Tavern, Virginia Arms, Adams Pizza, Jute Box Diner, Office Depot.... those are the places that come to mind right away. I'm sure if I took the time, I could come up with a lot more.

The area just outside of NOVA and in NOVA is very friendly to open carry.
There's something that those of us who do open carry and have done so for a long while forget.

New guys ain't as smooth and cool acting as us veterans.

When we scan an area, our heads don't even move. Our eye movement is undetectable. We turn without really moving our bodies. Our smiles are disarming, not alarming. We nod to others and it makes them comfortable, at ease.

When we ask ladies with children behind us in the grocery line if they want to go first so the kids don't have to stand around and wait, they say thank you, not change to another lane.

I bet Willfulone was not as cool as us!!

All of the above is somewhat exaggerated. Some will say just a little. Some will say no way. Guess which group open carries more often...

Oh, the ladies with kids in grocery stores, that is not an exaggeration. I do it all the time...

Old 02-03-2013, 14:32   #27
GIG4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIG4FUN View Post
We play a bar that the owner walks around with a sidearm open carry. I think it's weird! I wish he concealed, It feels awkward for a reason that I can't put a handle on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrGlock View Post
Because you've been inundated with the suggestion that guns are bad for so long it's settled into your brain. Reprogram yourself and get out from under that.
well actually another reason now that I think about it...(see below)

Quote:
Amen, HerrGlock...

GIG, c'mon, you can say it. You're not afraid of guns, so it must be the guy weirds you out. Or do you believe a patron of the establishment will take the gun away to voice displeasure with the night's entertainment.
You got it! I think it's too accessable to a trouble maker. If someone got it from him - is the line of thinking that weirds me out with it. I always thank him for not spending a round after a song or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhic View Post
Years ago I worked with a drummer who kept a loaded 1911 in his stick quiver. I guess I'd consider that a CCW because it was hidden. But I never worried much when working bars.

Weddings? Just made me laugh thinking about it.
I always have one at the ready BUT the only ones who know it are my bandmates and wife. Concealing it seems to be my preference to feel confortable with it in a room full of drunks.
SArmory XDm.45compact - H&K .45c / NRA member
S&W & Browning & Ruger & Winchester & Remington
GIG4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:35   #28
steveksux
Massive Member

Quote:
When we ask ladies with children behind us in the grocery line if they want to go first so the kids don't have to stand around and wait, they say thank you, not change to another lane.
OC. Do it for the children!

I remember reading about one OC encounter that didn't go well. Guy OC'd in a bad area, either no situational awareness or the BG's were better at hiding their intentions than he was a sussing them out.

Anyway, they followed him into a convenience store at a gas station in a bad neighborhood, no retention, grabbed the gun. He also followed them out trying to get the gun back. All he got some ammunition back. In the chest if I recall correctly. I think that was local here in Detroit, unless I read about it here.

In a case like that, there were a lot of mistakes made. OC was really not one of them. At least it was not the root cause.

Randy

Last edited by steveksux; 02-03-2013 at 14:37..
steveksux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 15:04   #29
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
OC. Do it for the children!

I remember reading about one OC encounter that didn't go well. Guy OC'd in a bad area, either no situational awareness or the BG's were better at hiding their intentions than he was a sussing them out.

Anyway, they followed him into a convenience store at a gas station in a bad neighborhood, no retention, grabbed the gun. He also followed them out trying to get the gun back. All he got some ammunition back. In the chest if I recall correctly. I think that was local here in Detroit, unless I read about it here.

In a case like that, there were a lot of mistakes made. OC was really not one of them. At least it was not the root cause.

Randy
It was in Richmond, Virginia.

Two guys followed the OCer into the store and immediately went for his firearm. He fought. They took is gun away. He chased them around inside the store. One guy shot him.

Later that night, the guy shot someone else.

The shooter's grandmother lived in the same apartment complex as the victim. Never heard if that was a factor.

Old 02-03-2013, 16:22   #30
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
Cites, please. Yes it has happened three times of which I am aware. That's pretty rare. We have one incident on record in my state. One.
Old 02-03-2013, 16:27   #31
SouthernBoyVA

Quote:
There's something that those of us who do open carry and have done so for a long while forget.

New guys ain't as smooth and cool acting as us veterans.

When we scan an area, our heads don't even move. Our eye movement is undetectable. We turn without really moving our bodies. Our smiles are disarming, not alarming. We nod to others and it makes them comfortable, at ease.

I bet Willfulone was not as cool as us!!

All of the above is somewhat exaggerated. Some will say just a little. Some will say no way. Guess which group open carries more often...

Oh, the ladies with kids in grocery stores, that is not an exaggeration. I do it all the time...
Excellent points and observations. I'm sure all of what you mentioned is true and I concur that my normal actions while OC'ing, or even while CC'ing, are pretty obscure to the uninitiated. That and the fact that I am very polite and friendly anyway and in particular when visibly carrying a sidearm.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 02-04-2013 at 08:05..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 17:08   #32
SCmasterblaster

I OC daily into west central NH - no problems at all.
Old 02-05-2013, 20:57   #33
ScottieG59

I only carry concealed. I would use a retention holster before I would open carry. I think I would also carry a backup pistol.

I like keeping a low profile. It keeps people calmer.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:09   #34
Laslo

If my CPL renewal doesn't get here in another month, i just might OC.
Laslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 20:25   #35
CA Escapee
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willfulone View Post
Only the ones behind me...

If it cleared people from in front of me, I might
just do it every time I go to the market

Will
If that really worked I'd carry one one each hip!

Bill
CA Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:02   #36
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Carry Issues

OC isn't an option here in TX. I think I'd still prefer to CC anyway. I've never had anyone give me a look of alarm about something on my hip they didn't know was there.

It's a personal preference as far as I'm concerned. No problem either way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:41   #37
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Most folks just get over any attention seeking tendencies by the time they reach adulthood. This is why most choose not to go out of their way to get others to motoce them where concealment is legal.
Old 02-09-2013, 20:20   #38
Jim S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
I like keeping a low profile. It keeps people calmer.
I like keeping a low profile too.
It is legal to open carry in my state but I don't see anyone doing it in the area I live in.
Too far north I suppose.
Anyway, I would conceal even if a lot of people open carried around me because urban camo is looking like everyone else and blending in.Woodland camo in the forrest.
Common everyday Joe in the city.
I think it makes sense.
Old 02-09-2013, 20:31   #39
kenpoprofessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S. View Post
I like keeping a low profile too.
It is legal to open carry in my state but I don't see anyone doing it in the area I live in.
Too far north I suppose.
Anyway, I would conceal even if a lot of people open carried around me because urban camo is looking like everyone else and blending in.Woodland camo in the forrest.
Common everyday Joe in the city.
I think it makes sense.
It depends on the city, here in Phoenix it's common. As far as I'm concerned, if OC is legal, then too many people have become so weak they have to "hide" their gun and tell us it's a "tactical advantage".

Have some tactical bacon with that as well

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde
Old 02-10-2013, 00:55   #40
willy1094

Send a message via AIM to willy1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor View Post
As far as I'm concerned, if OC is legal, then too many people have become so weak they have to "hide" their gun and tell us it's a "tactical advantage".
Clyde
Anyone that thinks there is not a tactical advantage to a BG not knowing if you are armed or not is out of their mind. It is not a matter of weak/strong (how "strong" do you really have to be to walk around OC'ing?) but more a matter of common sense.
What advantages to I have with CC?:
---NO ONE knows I'm armed
-------I am not going to be stopped and asked ANYTHING by ANYONE.
-------I will not be targeted by someone wanting my gun
-------I do not have to act any different than I would any other day
---I'm sure there are others

Advantage of OC:
---You do not have to move a shirt/jacket to get to the gun.
---You get to look super cool/LEO'ish

^^^These are assuming you have both options. If my ONLY option was OC I would do it. Other than that, I just don't see the pros and cons in favor of OC.

ETA: Sorry to get back to the OP, that officer was super cool IMHO. He gets a big thumbs up!

Last edited by willy1094; 02-10-2013 at 01:01..
willy1094 is offline   Reply With Quote