Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2013, 21:17   #1
Trey83

Glass for 6.8

I am looking for a scope for an 18" 6.8 build. It will mostly be used for range plinking but occasionally for hunting hog as well. I'd imagine hunting ranges will be within 200 yards but the local range is 1000 yards so it may get stretched out to 600-800 yards there. I am thinking I'd be better off with a variable power given the distances. I also have a budget of around $400 for the scope alone.

One option that has caught my eye is the Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 BDC. I am open to opinions of the Viper and any other recommendations you guys have https://www.primaryarms.com/Vortex_R...opes_s/929.htm.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:52   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Look at the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1. The 3-9 with a Firedot TMR illuminated reticle is around $450. You should be able to get the non illuminated version for $400 or less.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:54   #3
K. Foster

You will probably be all right with the Viper. Leupold and Nikon are 2 brands that have been good for me.
Old 02-09-2013, 23:19   #4
Cole125
Silver Membership

If your planning on hunting hogs you will want a light gathering scope as most of the times shots are going to be at dusk and dawn.

Look into the Redfield Revolution 3x9 with 50mm objective.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 23:55   #5
Ruggles

I have a Tijicon Accupoint 3x9 on my 6.8 18" hog gun. But I am thinking of going with a Leupold 1x4 instead. Their "Hog" plex version looks to be nice.
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29   #6
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

I have a Nightforce 2.5-10 on one 6.8 and a Nightforce 1-4 on the other.

I really like the 2.5-10

In truth. the 1-4 is probably the more capable hunting scope. Few shots on deer are ever taken past 80 yards. But a 4X scope is more than capable of taking a deer at 300-350 yards which, like a .243 Winchester, is just about the max effective range of the 6.8 on medium game.

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:26   #7
Trey83

Thanks for all of the input. I will check into the scopes mentioned.

Last edited by Trey83; 02-10-2013 at 18:26..
Trey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 13:40   #8
RJHUB

Using a Nikon Monarch 3X9.
Have only used at 100m for range so far.
Plan to use for pigs and deer.

Were you the one with the PSA?
And asking about Hogue rail?
RJHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:35   #9
Trey83

I think I have it narrowed down to the Vortex Viper or the Leupold Mark AR mod 1.
Old 02-11-2013, 19:36   #10
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey83 View Post
I think I have it narrowed down to the Vortex Viper or the Leupold Mark AR mod 1.
I have a Mod 1 1.5-4x on order, but it's at least another week or two from delivery. If you're still deciding when I get mine, look out for a review from me.
Old 02-17-2013, 14:21   #11
Trey83

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I have a Mod 1 1.5-4x on order, but it's at least another week or two from delivery. If you're still deciding when I get mine, look out for a review from me.
I'm not sure if I will wait that long but I look forward to the review either way

Last edited by Trey83; 02-17-2013 at 14:21..
Trey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 15:47   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I'm not sure if I will wait that long but I look forward to the review either way
My scope actually arrived early, and I picked it up last Thursday. I won't have a mount for it until Wednesday, though. I might get it out to the range for zeroing and testing on Thursday, but no promises.

Initial impressions are solid. The glass is VERY clear, even though the 1.5-4x only has a 20mm objective lens. Playing with it in darker areas has impressed me, too, as it seems to just suck in any available light.

Despite some websites saying otherwise, it is definitely a second focal plane, not first. I have no problem with that, though, as it means the 5MIL circle is still very usable at 1.5x. I'm pretty happy with the illumination on the reticle, too - big and bright enough to see easily when turned up, but not too obnoxious. The 2032 battery is easy enough to replace, and matches up with the Aimpoint T1 I have on order.

So far, my sole complaint is that the elevation turret markings don't perfectly line up with the indicator dot on the body of the scope. I have to use the right side of that dot as a reference, not the center. That's a pretty small complaint, though.

Once I get my LT-104 on Wednesday and can get it mounted up, I might be able to share some more thoughts.
Old 02-18-2013, 20:08   #13
Trey83

I just ordered the Mark AR MOD 1 3x9 mil dot scope.
Old 02-18-2013, 20:21   #14
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
I just ordered the Mark AR MOD 1 3x9 mil dot scope.
Mil-dot and not the Firedot-G TMR?

Good news is that either way, you still get mil adjustments and the BDC turret. The turret on my 1.5-4x is calibrated for 55gr FMJ at 3100FPS - roughly XM193 specs.
Old 02-18-2013, 20:27   #15
Trey83

Quote:
Mil-dot and not the Firedot-G TMR?

Good news is that either way, you still get mil adjustments and the BDC turret. The turret on my 1.5-4x is calibrated for 55gr FMJ at 3100FPS - roughly XM193 specs.
Yes, standard mil dot. The more I think about it the less I really expect to use it in low light. I did want mil/mil setup and when I find the optimal load I am going to get a custom bdc turret made.
Old 02-18-2013, 20:31   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Yes, standard mil dot. The more I think about it the less I really expect to use it in low light. I did want mil/mil setup and when I find the optimal load I am going to get a custom bdc turret made.
Actually, from playing around the Mod 1 I got, I can see how the dot would be useful in bright conditions, especially at 1.5x, as you can shoot it closer to a red dot sight. Plus, if you are in bright conditions shooting against a dark target, the center green dot can help pick it out.

Not sure if anyone is offering custom turrets to fit the Mod 1's yet, but you can always just have a dope chart for holds or click adjustments.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03   #17
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Actually, from playing around the Mod 1 I got, I can see how the dot would be useful in bright conditions, especially at 1.5x, as you can shoot it closer to a red dot sight. Plus, if you are in bright conditions shooting against a dark target, the center green dot can help pick it out.

Not sure if anyone is offering custom turrets to fit the Mod 1's yet, but you can always just have a dope chart for holds or click adjustments.

I've never understood this desire to put turret knobs on a 300 yard gun. With a 6.8 you just need you max point blank zero and hold dead on whatever you want to hit and you'll be 2.5-3" +/-

Old 02-19-2013, 07:57   #18
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I've never understood this desire to put turret knobs on a 300 yard gun. With a 6.8 you just need you max point blank zero and hold dead on whatever you want to hit and you'll be 2.5-3" +/-
Not every situation calls for that kind of setup. Some people might want to be able to call their shot a little more precisely.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:57   #19
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
LOL I agree , I call it the sniperazation of the shooting public..

Now if you have a legit 600-1000 yard rig go for it
Old 02-19-2013, 18:05   #20
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Not every situation calls for that kind of setup. Some people might want to be able to call their shot a little more precisely.
As if anyone can really hold the gun that well..

Practical rifle accuracy is a lost art. Mention Max Point Blank range to a shooter today and 90% have no idea what it means.

Just sayin'

I was in a gunshop today and this fellow was talking smack about his new Larue 7.62. He claimed he was getting 7/16" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. Great--awesome gun don't doubt it a bit.

When I asked him if he had put it on paper at 300 yards I got a blank stare. And then the reply went somthing like this: "I never intend to shoot anything with it beyond 200 yards..." OK great. So what's the advantage of a sub-moa gun at 200 yards again? What can it do that I can't realistically do with a 2-3 MOA gun? "But you don't understand--its a REALLY accurate rifle." No I get it. To what end?
You spent $3300+ on a rifle that cannot accomplish one thing at 200 yards the cheapest 7.62 AR on the market can't accomplish. "But its more accurate." No doubt--but I can kill a deer any day of the week at 200 yards with a 2 MOA gun as easily and efficiently as you can with your sub-moa Larue. So again, what's practical advantage? Its more accurate. Great, how well do you shoot it offhand at 200 yards? "I've only shot it off a benchrest."

Look, I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. An accurate rifle is a joy to own. I get THAT. But accuracy with a rifle doesn't begin or end at 100 yards. Not even close. I can shoot my shotgun with slugs at 100 yards to keep up with your rifle on game and people.

But a rifle's effective range is a function of retained velocity (and by extension kinetic energy downrange) You can shoot a 6.8 a helluva lot farther than 300 yards. But from a practical standpoint you probably ought not do it. Turrets on a 300 yard gun are a waste of time. If you really know your gun and load like you should you can achieve any degree of accuracy with a max point blank range zero and just a little KY windage.

Last edited by Big Bird; 02-19-2013 at 18:31..
Old 02-19-2013, 18:13   #21
Ruggles

Like I posted earlier I want to go with a 1x4 instead of the 3x9 on my 6.8 AR. Thinking of this one:

http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/rifl...es/cmr-series/

DVOR has them for $299 right now which seems to be a good price.

Any input?
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:14   #22
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
My two have a 10X Leupold MK4( what I had at the time) and a Leupold Patrol 1.25-4.

I wouldn't advise a scope more than 3-9 on a 6.8, as it really isn't capable of outshooting that magnification. And I doubt most shooters, actually put anything more than 10x to real use.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:18   #23
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:

I really like my firedot. And you can use the dot very well even during daylight.

My next hunting rifle, will most likely wear a 3-9 Firedot as its primary scope.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 18:30   #24
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
Like I posted earlier I want to go with a 1x4 instead of the 3x9 on my 6.8 AR. Thinking of this one:

http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/rifl...es/cmr-series/

DVOR has them for $299 right now which seems to be a good price.

Any input?
For $299, you can get the Mark AR Mod 1 with duplex reticle. If that's your strict budget, that would be my choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
I really like my firedot. And you can use the dot very well even during daylight.

My next hunting rifle, will most likely wear a 3-9 Firedot as its primary scope.
Yeah, I've already had an idea to pick up a 3-9x Mod 1 with the Firedot-G TMR reticle for either a future 18/20" barrel build, or just as a longer optic for my 16".