SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 23:58   #41
gatorboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock39 View Post
Yesterday I checked out the local Gander Mountain. The only lever action 357 they had left was a Rossi Ranch Hand:

http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=

I had briefly considered one of these earlier, but dismissed it as a range toy. The Ranch Hand is far too clunky to use as a serious close quarters pistol. But while I was there, I asked the clerk to let me handle one. Somewhat to my surprise, I discovered that was possible to hold it against my shoulder. Sort of. Very awkward, and only the bottom point of the stock was actually touching. I suspect that a shotgun style shoulder pad and/or a removable recoil pad on the pistol would make a noticeable improvement. But I actually had a usable sight picture and it was far more stable than holding a pistol out with two hands. Ballistically the 12 inch barrel gives most of the advantages of a carbine, and if it could be shot more accurately than a pistol...

The Ranch Hand is legally a pistol, so it would usually have to be carried concealed. But at 24 inches, it's small enough to fit inside a backpack, gym bag or whatever much easier than a 34 inch carbine. Definitely a compromise in shoot-ability, but there's a lot to be said for a "long" gun that can be carried inconspicuously. If it was spotted, it's even more "cowboy" than a lever action rifle.
I like the lever gun idea for all the reasons you mentioned in your first post. I have a Marlin 44mag and it's great. This thing? Blah! I'll take an AK pistol any day over it. If you must conceal it, might as well go AK pistol. For open carry and not freaking sheeple (or people even) out, wood furniture lever gun.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:21   #42
hogship
It's MY Island

While I can understand the desire to be more discreet and un-threatening looking, this seems like the wrong frame of mind to take to a gun fight.

Let's say you will potentially be facing a bad guy with a Glock 17, or an AR15, or a bolt rifle in 270, or even a revolver.......Since you just don't know what you'll be facing in the real world, would you now be more inclined to wish you had that SKS?

I certainly would. If I have to put my trunk gun to use......I want the best advantage I can give myself.......and it's NOT a lever rifle, unless I could pick and choose who, and what I'll be facing.......let's get real, you can't do that! At that point, putting forth a politically correct public image is the last thing I'll be thinking of......

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 02-07-2013 at 00:23..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:25   #43
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

I wouldn't feel too undergunned with a good lever rifle against most weapons out there unless I am going to be in a protracted gunfight against guys like the North Hollywood robbers with thousands of rounds in a full auto rifle.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:06   #44
Cwlongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
While I can understand the desire to be more discreet and un-threatening looking, this seems like the wrong frame of mind to take to a gun fight.

Let's say you will potentially be facing a bad guy with a Glock 17, or an AR15, or a bolt rifle in 270, or even a revolver.......Since you just don't know what you'll be facing in the real world, would you now be more inclined to wish you had that SKS?

I certainly would. If I have to put my trunk gun to use......I want the best advantage I can give myself.......and it's NOT a lever rifle, unless I could pick and choose who, and what I'll be facing.......let's get real, you can't do that! At that point, putting forth a politically correct public image is the last thing I'll be thinking of......

ooc
I never could understand this line of thinking...

Not really talking personal protection here, but ''battles'' are won with tactics and rounds ON TARGET. Spray and pray will be left nerves twitching on the floor with a well places shot...

TRAINING, SHOOTING will overcome ALLOT if not ALL situations. Cool heads come from that, we all know cooler heads usually prevail.

I'm a competitive shooter, many times I have beaten shooters with high tech Benelli shotguns. Beaten them a couple times with a 100 year only Winchester thumb buster!! The first time we did that we where nearly laughed off the line... at the end there was allot of back slapping and many wanted to see this old shotgun. Much like the saying its the singer not the song... Its the shooter NOT the gun.

CW
Old 02-07-2013, 06:59   #45
glock39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
Thought about the Ranch Hand but not as a concealable gun by any means... but rather, like you said, more of a backpack or truck gun.
Well, by concealable, I obviously mean only in comparison to a regular rifle. You could put a Ranch Hand inside a gym bag and carry it to and from your truck without anyone wondering what's in the funny, rifle-shaped package. You could walk down the street carring a 2 foot bag of some kind and not stand out as much as you would carrying a 3 foot bag.

If it did get spotted, it's more friendly looking than a AK pistol or broken down AR rifle. If it was discovered by your employer or a police officer, it doesn't look as much like you're on your way to start a mass shooting. For a backpack gun, it's probably more explainable to a game warden than any military style gun would be.
glock39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:15   #46
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Nobody hunts with hollow points and I don't even know of a hollow point load for the 30-30 and I've been shooting for 50 years. Anyone who hunts deer with a hollow point 357 is an idiot.
Remington makes them in the Core Lokt line. 170 grain. I've used them, but switched to soft points as they grouped better.

Both made dead deer. Not sure about true performance as all of the deer I shot with it were neck shots.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:13   #47
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
I never could understand this line of thinking...

Not really talking personal protection here, but ''battles'' are won with tactics and rounds ON TARGET. Spray and pray will be left nerves twitching on the floor with a well places shot...

TRAINING, SHOOTING will overcome ALLOT if not ALL situations. Cool heads come from that, we all know cooler heads usually prevail.

I'm a competitive shooter, many times I have beaten shooters with high tech Benelli shotguns. Beaten them a couple times with a 100 year only Winchester thumb buster!! The first time we did that we where nearly laughed off the line... at the end there was allot of back slapping and many wanted to see this old shotgun. Much like the saying its the singer not the song... Its the shooter NOT the gun.

CW
Well, I do understand you're line of thinking. On the surface, it seems reasonable, but is a result of not making decisions based on giving yourself the best possible advantage. Yes, I'd agree about cool heads and being familiar with tactics, but the truth is that you might, and you might not wish you had an equipment advantage.......especially since it's a realistic likelihood that whomever you might be facing will be able to apply that advantage against a lever action rifle.

It's a gamble, and you can increase the odds by having the tools that will cover all the possibilities with a better advantage. This is not to say it's impossible to prevail with the lever rifle, but to believe it covers all the likely "unknowns" is fallacy.........

To be fair, I have, in the past, used a lever rifle for a truck gun. I don't anymore, specifically because honest evaluation of the realistic possibilities suggest there are times when a lever rifle might not be the best choice.......no matter how cool headed I am, or level of training I've had.

There is one thing I'd like to make clear........Using a lever rifle as a trunk gun isn't a poor choice at all. I'm not saying anyone else should not choose a lever rifle for this purpose.....I don't, and that's a personal choice I have made for myself, and nobody else but me. From my point of view, there are other choices that are clearly better from the aspect that situations differ.......and the best equipment to handle different situations may differ, as well......

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by hogship; 02-07-2013 at 18:27..
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 17:36   #48
TheGrimReaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
That POS is nearly a $400 gun and it's made by Mossberg. That's like paying $600 for a Taurus revolver. That's more than I paid for my Marlin 1895G with scope, 50 rounds of ammo and about 500 rounds of ..223 thrown in. It shouldn't be hard to get a real lever action from a decent gun company for under $300.
Tell'em! Get a used marlin and be done with it.

Last edited by TheGrimReaper; 02-08-2013 at 17:36..
TheGrimReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:59   #49
ZombieJoe

Have you thought about a Mares Leg?

My camping gun is a Hi Point 995. Its fits the job perfect for me, but it does have the "tacticool" look.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:13   #50
glock39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieJoe View Post
Have you thought about a Mares Leg?

My camping gun is a Hi Point 995. Its fits the job perfect for me, but it does have the "tacticool" look.
We see to think alike. A Hi Point 4595 is on my wish list, although it's a bit more aggresive looking than what I'm after at the moment.

The Rossi Ranch Hand I was discussing above is a factory built Mare's Leg. In 357 it would probably be more versatile than most other pistol caliber choices.
glock39 is offline   Reply With Quote