Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-06-2013, 21:10   #1
ModGlock17

Massive Panic: Reloading Components Out of Stock

There seems to be a wide spread rush to order on bullets and brass. Common bullets for 10mm are out: Natchez SS, MidwayUSA, Sinclair Int'l, even BerryBullets.

Do you know any place that still have them?

Even 9mm supplies are out. I'd bet this is "Obama's Fault".

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
ModGlock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 21:30   #2
mingaa

I came home with 800 sr primers yesterday ( some CCI BR-4 but wtf in the big picture). There were 500 Ranier 147 trn fmj bullets (good for IDPA rounds) waiting behind my door. That's just one day this week. $$ is a bit low but I'm buying more than shooting. I'm making more phone calls, surfing (leaving alert messages) a lot more and jumping when I find reloading supplies that I know I will use.

I went through the last election and have never stopped buying more than I shoot - I have plenty of shelf ammo that dates to that time. I'm just not laying down AND it's working - with some added effort.

Last edited by mingaa; 02-06-2013 at 21:33..
mingaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 23:53   #3
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Powerbondbullets.com seems to have stock.

They are great bullets. I have used about 3000 of the 180 flat points in the past 10 months or so. I just received an order very recently. No delays.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35   #4
atyszka

http://www.precisionbullets.com if you're ok with moly coated lead, I've had excellent results with them and have shot over 10k in both .40 and 10mm.
atyszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 20:48   #5
TDC20

Yeah, the panic buying stinks. I wish we didn't have to buy any more bullets or primers than you need short term, but that is the sad reality if you want to be able to shoot your guns whenever you want.

The local stores in my area are rationing ammo. Two boxes per customer. They are also rationing 30rd AR mags, 2 per customer, $50 ea. One store actually had a Bushmaster AR on the rack (dressed like an M4). Price? $2000! I think that same model could have been had new for around $850 last November.

Might as well get used to it. It took about 18 months for things to rebound back to reasonable supply levels in my area after BHO was elected in 2008. It's gonna be a while. At least as a hand loader, you have a few more options than the casual shooter has.
Old 02-08-2013, 19:01   #6
rdm1962

One of the youngsters that works for my was complaining earlier this week about not being able to find ammo. His solution was "well I'll just load my own". He asked my how much it would cost to load for 9mm and 22 long rifle. After I explained that 22's can't be reloaded. I asked how much of his previous fired brass he still had. "None, just left them at the range. I didn't think I would need them again." I explained the process of reloading to him. He felt it was too much work and money to do. He wanted me to just load some for him. I said I could but it wouldn't be cheep. He would be paying for my components, time and what ever mark up I felt the situation needed.

This kind of happen when Clinton was elected. The rush to but up the soon be banned guns started. After the thrill wore off and the expense of the sport set in there were some deal to slightly used arms. I hope this will be the case this time.
rdm1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 17:37   #7
BenKeith

Well, they've put a crimp in my practice but I'm still in pretty good shape. The only pistols I load for are my wife's G27 and my G20SF and I've got about 5,000 primers for each, several pounds of W231 and Blue Dot but only have about 3,000 different 40 cal bullets. I have a few thousand on B.O. but not sure when they might show up. At least I have plenty of brass also.
BenKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 00:48   #8
billdean

I was in Sportsman Warehouse today. They had some large rifle primers. You were only allowed 3 boxes of a 100. They have not had much of anything else in months. I did find some Large Pistol Magnum Primers so I picked up 5000 of them. I usually only shoot just regular pistol primers but I have not been able to find them.
billdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:55   #9
ModGlock17

BassPro shop in my area was completely out of primers a few days ago. Their bullet shelf was nearly empty, except for 180gr Hornady XTP 10mm which was priced too high.

I am curious whether it's worth the admission at a gun show if I can't find the stuff there.

All the Walmarts in my area also have nearly empty ammo shelves. It's been more economical and less effort just to buy the 9mm there. Now I can't get them so I have to reload 9mm as well as 10mm.
Old 02-10-2013, 22:54   #10
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm1962 View Post
One of the youngsters that works for my was complaining earlier this week about not being able to find ammo. His solution was "well I'll just load my own". He asked my how much it would cost to load for 9mm and 22 long rifle. After I explained that 22's can't be reloaded. I asked how much of his previous fired brass he still had. "None, just left them at the range. I didn't think I would need them again." I explained the process of reloading to him. He felt it was too much work and money to do. He wanted me to just load some for him. I said I could but it wouldn't be cheep. He would be paying for my components, time and what ever mark up I felt the situation needed.

This kind of happen when Clinton was elected. The rush to but up the soon be banned guns started. After the thrill wore off and the expense of the sport set in there were some deal to slightly used arms. I hope this will be the case this time.
You will need a Federal Firearms License to do this since that would constitute a commercial ammunition practice.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 23:04   #11
billdean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
BassPro shop in my area was completely out of primers a few days ago. Their bullet shelf was nearly empty, except for 180gr Hornady XTP 10mm which was priced too high.

I am curious whether it's worth the admission at a gun show if I can't find the stuff there.

All the Walmarts in my area also have nearly empty ammo shelves. It's been more economical and less effort just to buy the 9mm there. Now I can't get them so I have to reload 9mm as well as 10mm.
Been to a couple of gun shows here in my area. No primers or lead to speak of. Some ammo, lots of AR15's, high cap mag's and everything is high, high, high.
billdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27   #12
ModGlock17

MechTech, maker of CCUs converting handgun to carbines, has stopped taking new orders, as of this point. They claim 8 wks behind in shipping, swamped, will not take new orders for a few weeks.

All righty. Who among us placed order ?

BHO is THE best gun salesman in the whole world, perhaps the best in history of man! Yes, better than Col. Oliver North. He is to gun industry what Tiger Woods was to the golf industry. Imagine that.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:19   #13
ctious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModGlock17 View Post
MechTech, maker of CCUs converting handgun to carbines, has stopped taking new orders, as of this point. They claim 8 wks behind in shipping, swamped, will not take new orders for a few weeks.

All righty. Who among us placed order ?

BHO is THE best gun salesman in the whole world, perhaps the best in history of man! Yes, better than Col. Oliver North. He is to gun industry what Tiger Woods was to the golf industry. Imagine that.

I did. Well I got on the waiting list about a month ago. They told me 4 to 6 weeks before they would be ready to start mine. So I hope to get a call soon.
ctious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16   #14
kueblerkt

Was just at a gun shop here in town and they had a notice hanging on the wall that said Winchester and Remington (and I think CCI was included as well) were using available primers exclusively for loaded ammunition and would not be producing any primers sold for reloading until they were caught up on their ammo orders. The notice said they didn't expect to have primers distributed for reloading for the next 6-9 months...
kueblerkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 15:25   #15
ModGlock17

I was at "the" major retailer of guns in my state. They offered to sell me just 2 boxes of 9mm because I've been a good customer to them. LOL. I used to be able to buy a case of 9mm easily from them.

They still have all the well known gun models in stock, at reasonable prices but unwilling to negotiate.

As with ammo and guns, they don't know when they can replace existing inventory. I wonder if some folks in the govt knew this is going to happen, when they place hundreds of thousands round orders many months ago.