Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:33   #1
XDMUSER

Vepr 12 Questions

Got lucky and received my Vepr 12 last week and some 12rd SGM magazines from CSS. Got a few questions for you guys though.

1: Do I need to swap out anything to usa made parts, to use my 12rd mags?

2: Does anyone have the mag drop issue with their sgm 12 rounders? If so, is there a quick fix or do they just need broke in?Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1358688781647.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	230585

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
XDMUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:41   #2
plouffedaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDMUSER View Post
Got lucky and received my Vepr 12 last week and some 12rd SGM magazines from CSS. Got a few questions for you guys though.

1: Do I need to swap out anything to usa made parts, to use my 12rd mags?

2: Does anyone have the mag drop issue with their sgm 12 rounders? If so, is there a quick fix or do they just need broke in?Attachment 230585

1. No.

2. What issue?

Tactical Shotguns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 19:53   #3
XDMUSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
1. No.

2. What issue?

Tactical Shotguns
I took them to the range last week and every time I would fire the mag would drop. Three brand new mags. On the way home my buddy googled it found a few threads on it but no fixes.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:10   #4
plouffedaddy

Quote:
I took them to the range last week and every time I would fire the mag would drop. Three brand new mags. On the way home my buddy googled it found a few threads on it but no fixes.

Huh. I haven't heard of that. Did you contact SGM?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Certified Glock Armorer
plouffedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 16:14   #5
XDMUSER

Not yet, from what I read on the other forums SGM is stating they need broken in by rocking them front to back. I am unfortunately a tinkerer so I decided to lightly sand the ledge where the mag release catches. I will try my fix later this week and report back.

Old 01-21-2013, 22:00   #6
pitdog02

I thought the minute you went to a 12rd mag the compliance was gone and you had to part swap? Id like to hear why this is not the case. Im new to this 922r stuff, just when you think you have it straight you get corrected.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25   #7
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

The vepr looks awesome, seems they run 100 percent while saigas are known to be hit or miss
Old 01-22-2013, 13:16   #8
Kingtubby

I just got my vepr 12 from atlantic. Took it out for its first two shoots sat and sun. Couple of things about the mag issue you spoke of.

First, the vepr has the most "spring loaded" magwell Ive seen. Try lying the gun on its side and pulling the lever...your mag will shoot out of the magwell on that spring loaded action.

If I had to wager a guess why youre having trouble seating/dropping your sgm's, its that youre just not physically seating them well enough. It doesnt help that there is no robust "click" noise when the mag seats properly to really let you know you got it in there.

I had the same problem the first couple times I tried to seat my 10 rounder sgm, but once you get the hang of it, it works consistently. You really got to push/pop it into place with the butt of your hand to overcome that spring action and get a good seating the first few times.

If that doesnt solve the problem, look to the sgm mags having issues first, not the gun.

All that said, the vepr 12 kicks ass. Ive run light game federal loads, full power remington buckshot, full power rio slugs, and federal 3" magnum slugs thru it, all without a single malfunction after only a minimal wipe down out of the box. The magnum rounds were the strongest felt recoil of any round/caliber Ive shot yet, blew the crap out of a filled laundry detergent bottle. It was sweet!
Kingtubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 13:48   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

I haven't seen this gun, but are you seating the magazines with the bolt locked to the rear? If they are failing to seat, it may be that either you aren't using enough force (most people are too delicate with their magazines) and/or you need to lock the bolt to the rear, so they aren't seating against the pressure of the magazine spring pushing the top round against the bolt.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 18:05   #10
XDMUSER

Never made it to the range to try my fix and all the suggestions you guys made. Going to try and hit the range on Thursday. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25   #11
jamaicanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdog02 View Post
I thought the minute you went to a 12rd mag the compliance was gone and you had to part swap? Id like to hear why this is not the case. Im new to this 922r stuff, just when you think you have it straight you get corrected.
I asked the exact question in another thread and was told it would be a problem to use the higher capacity mags if the vepr was not converted prior to shipping.
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 21:55   #12
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdog02 View Post

From what I've read, the Vepr is already converted by Atlantic before you buy it, so you're good to go on the 922r compliance, and ok to run aftermarket drums and magazines. You can get them from Atlantic unconverted, but you would have to do the conversion before running an aftermarket mag. BTW, a magazine counts as 3 towards your parts count for 922r compliance.

Last edited by NH Trucker; 01-28-2013 at 21:59..
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:19   #13
RYT 2BER

I think the part I am most shocked about is that you guys were able to get anything out of Atlantic. I was under the impression that they had right around ZERO in stock
Old 01-29-2013, 05:30   #14
XDMUSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYT 2BER View Post
I think the part I am most shocked about is that you guys were able to get anything out of Atlantic. I was under the impression that they had right around ZERO in stock
I got on a pre order list a few weeks before the SHTF. I will say that I was really worried about them cancelling my order. Thankfully Atlantic was not swayed by their competitors shady business tactics. I would highly recommend Atlantic, it would have been easy for them to cancel all pre orders, double the price and still sell out IMHO.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:34   #15
RYT 2BER

Quote:
I got on a pre order list a few weeks before the SHTF. I will say that I was really worried about them cancelling my order. Thankfully Atlantic was not swayed by their competitors shady business tactics. I would highly recommend Atlantic, it would have been easy for them to cancel all pre orders, double the price and still sell out IMHO.

I'm sure you're right. Good stuff on Atlantics part
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54   #16
Tony Rumore

My SGM mags all fall out of the gun. And yes, they are completely seated, so spare me the BS.
Tony Rumore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 19:20   #17
RYT 2BER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Rumore View Post
My SGM mags all fall out of the gun. And yes, they are completely seated, so spare me the BS.
And if tony says that being that I'm pretty sure he's the owner of tromix, I'm sure he's right.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:09   #18
XDMUSER

Well I still have yet to make it to the range to test my fix on the SGM 12rd mags. I will post my results when I test it again. I have hower ran into another problem. I bought an aftermarket six position stock and grip set from ATI. Thank god for air tools, it took alot of reshaping of the stock connector to get it to fit in my VEPR12. Now that it's on I am very happy with it but I just wanted to warn others. If you buy this set you will have to relieve alot of metal from the sides and the tang of your VEPR12 to use it.

Now I am by no means bashing this stock only warning others. I went in knowing that my shotgun was a newer product and I would have to do something to get it to fit. I figured if something went south on me I would cut the tang flush and install the CSS internal block stock adapter.
The Tapco stock had to go! 00 buck would beat the crap out of my shoulder after an hour or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version   Tactical Shotguns - Click for larger version