SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2013, 22:54   #1
DrtyHarry

Noreen Bad News .338 Lapua semi-auto

I think this is the right place to post this...it does run on an enlarged AR platform, it is semi-automatic, so I believe it counts as a "black rifle".

I've been doing some long distant target shooting with some of my friends who have Barrett, McMillan, and a few others both in 300 WM and in .338 Lapua.

When I first shot the .338 Lapua, I had such a smile on my face you could still see it two weeks later. Most of my friends were shooting at distances between 800 and 1000 yards. The 300 WM is no joke, and it can really reach out and touch you. But the .338 Lapua...completely different ball park all together. It's a beast of a cartridge and a super flat shooter.

So as I'm doing the research for a nice long range rifle, I looked at Barrett, McMillan, Remington (700), Weatherby, etc. While looking at all the different rifles that come chambered in .338 Lapua, I stumbled across the Bad News. 10 rounds of .338 Lapua in SEMI-AUTOMATIC sounds like a blast and a half...especially on an AR platform.

The rifle is available in both 300 WM and .338 Lapua. I know most of you are probably saying it's best to stick with the 300 WM, because of ammo prices and availability. But I'm going to start learning how to roll my own ammo...I have a nasty .308 and 10mm habit anyway, and with the rise in ammo prices....it's the logical thing to do. And I have garbage bags full of brass.

Besides, shooting the Lapua was perhaps some of the most fun I had with a rifle....I can't imagine 10 rounds in semi-auto. Question is....is it worth $5K+? Looking at $7K total with the right glass. I did some research and I read that the rifle did have a few bugs when it first came out, but now all the bugs are fixed. Dono.

Here she is....

Black Rifle Forum

Thoughts? Worth $5k+....or get a turn bolt of some kind? And at 13lbs, I shouldn't have that much of a problem hunting BIG game like elk.

DH