Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45   #23
Dreamaster

Shooting water jugs IS scientific actually. If it is a test that can be easily controlled and repeated it is scientific. It allows people to compare differences between one or two variables accurately for relatively low cost. What it is NOT perhaps, is as others are stating above very representative about what happens to a human body. There is however a correlation. Ballistics aren't as complicated as some people here would have you believe. With hollow points, generally, higher velocity yields more trauma, with larger secondary cavities. To a point this will be at the cost of penetration distance. After a certain point, the bullet will "over expand" and penetration will start to increase again... as we continue to increase the velocity, the bullet will begin to fragment. (Another place I am often scratching my head as many on this forum says that is "bad" because the bullet is "failing"... as long as penetration is sufficient, there is no way in Haydes I would call that a failure.) In handguns, that's about the end of it, because it's very difficult to get the velocity up to rifle speeds with a 4" barrel, not to mention the recoil becomes unwieldy.
Dreamaster is offline   Reply With Quote