Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-08-2013, 19:05   #21
countrygun

I dislike an ambi greatly. Dragging through the "pucker brush and finding the safety disengaged itself is not nice. I didn't like it. With proper handling and the grip safety I wouldn't worry about safety, per say, but what about the hesitation when you try to wipe the safety off and get no tactile feedback? You might try a couple of times before realizing what happened. Not something I want to do when I need pistol in a hurry.

I never had a standard safety, with a positive "click" do that.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:25   #22
mnhogrider

My Springfield Loaded came with extended ambi safeties. I'm not left handed and I didn't like looking down the gun at "wings" so I got rid of them. Replaced with a standard GI safety.
mnhogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:11   #23
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

Single sided and extended since I shoot thumbs forward and ride my thumb on the lever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18   #24
rebby
GT Sponsor

I shoot ambi but HATE ambi-safeties. I outfit the majority of my guns with either Wilson Combat or Ed Brown single sided safeties and simply train to manipulate them with the trigger finger of my left hand when shooting lefty. It's really not that difficult and, if you train and practice, it becomes second nature.

NRA Life Member

rebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20   #25
jakebrake
cracker

i don't like ambi. i grew up with 1911s, and never had one until a couple years ago, and hated it so much i sold the gun.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15   #26
skeeter7
Brass Vulture

I took the ambi safety off of my EMP as well just because it didn't seem right carrying with it. I was afraid the safety would snag on something and disengage when I didn't want it to. I swapped it out with an Ed Brown single sided tactical safety. All good.
NECC #401
skeeter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48   #27
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie View Post
I also dislike the ambi safety, and I carry cocked and locked with a round chambered, because it is 100% safe to do
Ok, now I see you carry "locked".

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-12-2013 at 09:09..
PhotoFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:57   #28
banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
Condition 0?
No, actually a chambered round, cocked hammer and thumb safety applied is known as condition 1 (one).

Very safe if you are familiar with the system, and the way that many professional carry the 1911.

Condition zero is considered a empty chamber hammer down carry.

Those that use it frequently state a preference to "sling shot" the slide if needed.

Last edited by banger; 02-12-2013 at 09:00..
banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33   #29
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
No, actually a chambered round, cocked hammer and thumb safety applied is known as condition 1 (one).

Very safe if you are familiar with the system, and the way that many professional carry the 1911.

Condition zero is considered a empty chamber hammer down carry.

Those that use it frequently state a preference to "sling shot" the slide if needed.
I re-read Okie's post and realized he said "cocked and locked".

I asked my question because there is confusion sometimes when we talk about carry mode with the 1911 platform as compared to Glock pistols.

The traditional definitions from Cooper are:

Cooper favored the Colt M1911 and its variants. There are several conditions of readiness in which such a weapon can be carried. Cooper promulgated most of the following terms:
Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

No one in this thread practices C-0, and C-1 seems to be the preferred carry mode. This is contrary to the common carry mode for Glocks, which is a chambered round with no manual safety.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-12-2013 at 09:45..
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54   #30
banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoFeller View Post
I re-read Okie's post and realized he said "cocked and locked".

I asked my question because there is confusion sometimes when we talk about carry mode with the 1911 platform as compared to Glock pistols.

The traditional definitions from Cooper are:

Cooper favored the Colt M1911 and its variants. There are several conditions of readiness in which such a weapon can be carried. Cooper promulgated most of the following terms:
Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on.
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

No one in this thread practices C-0, so C-1 seems to be the preferred carry mode. This is contrary to the common carry mode for Glocks, which is a chambered round with no manual safety.
Truthfully, all of these names for the condition are simply at the mercy of the imagination of the author.

One author will call it one thing and another, something else entirely.

Sometimes names simply take on a life of their own and become accepted on a wide basis.

Think "Kleenex'", "Clorox", "Frigidaire" names that have become nearly universally accepted and understood by a wide range of the population.

Unfortunately, shooting is not as widely spoken about, so at times confusion prevails.
banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25   #31
1canvas

for me I like the single side, slim and extended. that saftey is close to my side and protected. the ambi saftey is facing out which increases the risk of getting bumped off.
Old 02-12-2013, 22:17   #32
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
"No one in this thread practices C-0, and C-1 seems to be the preferred carry mode. This is contrary to the common carry mode for Glocks, which is a chambered round with no manual safety."

Actually C-1 is what Okie was referring to. I also carry my 1911 with a round in the camber with the safety on and a full magazine. The safety on the 1911 blocks the hammer. However I need the ambi safety because I am left handed.

The Glock DOES have a manual safety. It is in/on the trigger. When you pull the trigger you are moving the safety off just before you engage the trigger.
Old 02-12-2013, 22:44   #33
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I don't care for an ambi safety. Just unnecessary for me. I do like an extended safety / ride my thumb on it when I shoot.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54   #34
PhotoFeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
"No one in this thread practices C-0, and C-1 seems to be the preferred carry mode. This is contrary to the common carry mode for Glocks, which is a chambered round with no manual safety."

Actually C-1 is what Okie was referring to. I also carry my 1911 with a round in the camber with the safety on and a full magazine. The safety on the 1911 blocks the hammer. However I need the ambi safety because I am left handed.

The Glock DOES have a manual safety. It is in/on the trigger. When you pull the trigger you are moving the safety off just before you engage the trigger.
Thanks. I corrected my post after re-reading Okie's statement.

My 1911s have single side safety. The ambi setup just seems like unnecessary hardware, at least for me.

I really like the 1911 style manual safety, and I wish Glock provided that option. The Glock trigger 'safety', which disengages when the trigger is depressed, doesn't stop the trigger from being inadvertently pulled. The 1911 safety does prevent the gun from being accidentally fired; thats why I like it and thats why 1911 owners want it. Thats why I'd like it on my Glocks.

Last edited by PhotoFeller; 02-13-2013 at 03:03..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51   #35
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer preferred Condition 0.

Last edited by fnfalman; 02-13-2013 at 11:51..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 21:46   #36
Wyoming

Send a message via Yahoo to Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer preferred Condition 0.
"Scooter"

Mike Hammer isn't a real person so carrying a 1911 with a live round under the hammer with the safety off does not count because no real person can get hurt. I think they call it "literary license" to be stupid.