Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 19:30   #1
njl

Holy ammo prices

I was just looking at the ar15.com EE ammo forum and couldn't believe what people are asking for 5.56mm ammo.

I've been sitting on some for quite a while, and now that I reload, I'm thinking I should sell some of the mil-surp non-reloadable stuff. I've got a few of the South African battle packs that were commonly available about 10 years ago. Heavy plastic bag, marked:

300 RD
5,56 x 45mm
BALL M1A3
O CTN

This stuff is brass cased, berdan primed, and M193 equivalent AFAIK.

So...the question is, what's reasonable to ask for 3 unopened battle packs? Supply of this stuff dried up years ago, so there doesn't seem to be any on the market to gauge prices.
Old 02-14-2013, 19:55   #2
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
I was just looking at the ar15.com EE ammo forum and couldn't believe what people are asking for 5.56mm ammo.

I've been sitting on some for quite a while, and now that I reload, I'm thinking I should sell some of the mil-surp non-reloadable stuff. I've got a few of the South African battle packs that were commonly available about 10 years ago. Heavy plastic bag, marked:

300 RD
5,56 x 45mm
BALL M1A3
O CTN

This stuff is brass cased, berdan primed, and M193 equivalent AFAIK.

So...the question is, what's reasonable to ask for 3 unopened battle packs? Supply of this stuff dried up years ago, so there doesn't seem to be any on the market to gauge prices.
It should go for about 60 cpr or $180. I have been selling Tula at AR15 for 55 cpr and Federal 55 grain FMJ for 70 cpr.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Matthew Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:01   #3
njl

That's $180 per battle pack I assume. Makes me wish I'd invested real money in ammo 10 years ago. What are the laws / shipper regulations for individuals shipping loaded ammo?
Old 02-14-2013, 20:21   #4
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by njl View Post
That's $180 per battle pack I assume. Makes me wish I'd invested real money in ammo 10 years ago. What are the laws / shipper regulations for individuals shipping loaded ammo?
Yes, $180 per 300 round battle pack. Being a firearms instructor, we have to hedge against ammo price increases by buying it when it is cheap so that we won't be priced out of business when shortages or demand spikes cause dramatic price increases.

It is a dangerous market. 9mm went from 20 cpr in the 1990's to 6 cpr in 2005-2006, and of course prices in peaked in 2008-2009 then crashed by 2010-2011. Everyone who thinks that things are easy to predict would be rich if they actually acted on their predictions.

Ammo is to instructors what jet fuel is to airlines, without it we are grounded. We actually overbought 5.56 last year in anticipation of a demand spike this year. The spike has taken place, but our civilian carbine course students have overwhelmingly chosen to shoot most of the course with .22LR, so we have an excess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-14-2013, 20:26   #5
Matthew Courtney
CLM Number 285
Instructor #298

U.S. Postal Service (USPS) - Shipping ammo is prohibited.
United Parcel Service (UPS) - Shipping ammo permitted with packaging/weight/labeling qualifications.
Federal Express (FedEx) - Shipping ammo generally prohibited unless HazMat certified.

Details:

U.S. Postal Service (USPS): Shipping of Ammunition is Prohibited

Ammunition (Cartridges, small arms) is a nonmailable hazardous material. "Under no circumstances may any nonmailable hazardous material, restricted matter, or perishable matter be deposited for mailing."

Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted and Perishable Mail
Cartridges, small arms - Appendix A - Hazardous Materials

United Parcel Service (UPS):

1. Pack ammo within a sturdy cardboard box, gross weight limit of 66 pounds.
2. Print ORM-D label, cut out and tape to a least one side of box.
3. Take package to a UPS Customer Center only - NOT at Drop-Off Box, The UPS Store, Mail Boxes etc., Sonic. Might be a good idea to have the UPS Hazardous Material Support Center number with you -- 800-554-9964. Varied success with UPS pick-up at your location.

Per UPS:
UPS accepts domestic ground shipments of ammunition that have been classified by the shipper as "Cartridges, small arms", "ORM-D" (Other Regulated Material). The package must be properly marked according to the requirements of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR). Contact the Hazardous Material Support Center at 800-554-9964 for details on regulatory information.

Federal Express (FedEx):

Per FedEx, 10/26/2006:
HazMat Training is required to qualify to ship all Hazardous Materials. Ammunition is a Hazardous Material. No Drop-Off, package must be picked up by FedEx. See How to Qualify.

Additional shipping information and procedures at CartridgeCollectors.org.

Label meets requirements of 49 CFR 172.316.

Old 02-14-2013, 21:34   #6
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ask $0.60 per round (5.56 NATO spec, good stuff) if you want to sell it pretty much immediately.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 22:42   #7
boomhower

I'm not selling and really not shooting. I have a case and a half give or take stash. Problem is I can't find anything to buy. Only gun shop is 40 minutes away and sells out instantly as he doesn't jack his prices. Raised yes, but not gouging. Walmart hasn't restocked at all. Everything online is sold out or crazy priced. I'll spend 100 rounds to tune in my new uppers iron and red dot on my duty gun but that's pretty much going to be it.

I've got a metric ton of backorders out with sportsmans guide but considering one has been running since April of 2012 I don't have high hopes. Hopefully supply will start catching up soon.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 22:57   #8
njl

I've still got some Federal XM193 and some Prvi M193...but those I'm keeping to shoot and reuse the brass. I've got a few thousand 55gr FMJBTC and plenty of powder and primers.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31   #9
SCmasterblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I'm not selling and really not shooting. I have a case and a half give or take stash. Problem is I can't find anything to buy. Only gun shop is 40 minutes away and sells out instantly as he doesn't jack his prices. Raised yes, but not gouging. Walmart hasn't restocked at all. Everything online is sold out or crazy priced. I'll spend 100 rounds to tune in my new uppers iron and red dot on my duty gun but that's pretty much going to be it.

I've got a metric ton of backorders out with sportsmans guide but considering one has been running since April of 2012 I don't have high hopes. Hopefully supply will start catching up soon.

I am going to a gun show tomorrow - primers and bullets for me, if they have them.