Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-09-2013, 19:14   #41
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
I actually was just at the Ed Brown website and they do make a Kobra Carry (4.25in) in stainless and one with a light weight, Aluminum frame.......
Yeah, I was wrong. Already took my lumps earlier in the thread.

Now if Brown could just offer it without the bobtail. Again I think the bobtail is cool, effective and innovative, but they just don't point right for me (too low). I'd get used to it if I had too, but then switching back to non-bobtails would be a problem pointing too high.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 13:01   #42
MLittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Cut View Post

Now if Brown could just offer it without the bobtail. Again I think the bobtail is cool, effective and innovative, but they just don't point right for me (too low). I'd get used to it if I had too, but then switching back to non-bobtails would be a problem pointing too high.

Sorry about that...... I wasn't piling on, just didn't read the full string of messages before responding.

As to your second comment, I believe you can get any Brown 1911 custom made without a bobtail. It's one of their options on their order sheet. You might want to check it out.
MLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:19   #43
fastbolt

I remember modifying one of my Commanders back in the middle 70's to give the MSH a "semi-bevel", which better aligned it in my hand to produce a "natural" balance and POA/POI.

Nice to see it's become more or less "mainstream" over the years.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 19:33   #44
mleroux21

Quote:

I agree with you that bobtails do point different than a non bobbed version. But I recently purchased a Volkmann and the
the high cut trigger and the grip for some reason worked out to help me point on target. So I think the grip and the undercut trigger guard do help on pointing a bobtail.

Marc
mleroux21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:57   #45
MajorD

i have not seen a basic rattle trap 1911 that can't shoot at least as accurately as a stock glock, and any refined 1911 (either semi custom,gunsmithed or modern production) will shoot circles around a glock for accuracy. I routinely shoot to 50 yards and beyond with a pistol and at those extended ranges even my basic 1911's out shoot my glocks.
Reliability I will admit can be an issue when you try to get 1911 to feed jhp's. good magazines proper lubrication are both essential. it is not unheard of even for glocks but more so 1911's to find some brands of jhp that run all day and others that are jam city.
investing in 100 rounds of each type of commonly available hollow point ammo then running them to see what works in a particular gun is a very expensive proposition in today's market but is what will find you the best performing ammo for your gun. having a friend say his 1911 runs great with brand x ammo is not going to mean yours will.
MajorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 21:03   #46
G36_Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydrage View Post
M. Sorry I have no expirience with the Commander size rendition... I Know it uses a much stiffer spring, and has a higher associated wear...

If I were going to get one and bet my life on it in a possible gunfight, It would be the Bill Wilson Carry Pistol...

This is the gun The man Carries himself... All my Wilsons have run flawlessly with any kind of ammo, and I doubt this would be any different.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-bill-wilson-carry.asp

Tony
I followed the link to the Wilson site. I'm going to report your post to the mod for posting nasty pictures. I want one.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 21:05   #47
Teecher45

MajorD, that could be the downfall for me. I don't love the idea of my pistol deciding which bullet I can use for SD.

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-12-2013 at 21:06..
Teecher45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 18:53   #48
biggun1911

I have Smith and Wesson 1911 Gunsite light weight commander model that I like. I have over 1,000 rounds without any problems. For some reason feels good in the hand. Recoil is similar to my Glock 21, but I am more accurate with it.

I would recommend it for anyone looking for a light weight commander.
biggun1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 19:29   #49
SpringerTGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
You get what you pay for in the 1911 world.
Not always true.
I feel totally ripped off with my Nighthawk.
Springfield, on the other hand, offers great products.
SpringerTGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 20:34   #50
samuse

If you're really serious about the Lightweight Commander sized 1911s, then I think you need to be looking at Wilson Combat or Springfield Custom.

I think you're really looking for a Glock 19 though...

Quote:
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 22:31   #51
Teecher45

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
If you're really serious about the Lightweight Commander sized 1911s, then I think you need to be looking at Wilson Combat or Springfield Custom.

I think you're really looking for a Glock 19 though...
You shouldn't pretend to think you know what I'm looking for.
I've got a G27, a G21 and a 92F, and a few revolvers. I'm NOT looking for a 9mm to CC.
I am really wanting an officers model, lightweight, with an accessory rail, as dependable as a G19.
Doesn't exist. I've looked.
And, if you would actually read the OP. I asked for a base model to build as money became available.
Thank you to those who have actually tried to help.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-13-2013 at 22:35..
Old 02-13-2013, 23:49   #52
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
MajorD, that could be the downfall for me. I don't love the idea of my pistol deciding which bullet I can use for SD.
Well, get used to that idea. Not every pistol would feed every type of ammunition, not even the vaunted Glocks.

However, it doesn't take much to chamfer the chamber and polish the feed ramp on an M1911 to take most bullet profiles.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40   #53
ilgunguygt
Enslaved in IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Well, get used to that idea. Not every pistol would feed every type of ammunition, not even the vaunted Glocks.

However, it doesn't take much to chamfer the chamber and polish the feed ramp on an M1911 to take most bullet profiles.
It really all depends on the gun. My G21 will feed anything, as will all of the 1911s I own. My uncle has a colt1991 that will not feed any hollowpoints except gold dots and will not feed a SWC or a TC bullet profile at all. My XD45 will not work at all with SWC. The first round off the mag feeds and fires fine. Upon extraction it jams the empty in so tight to the top round in the magazine you have to practically beat the thing open.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32   #54
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
And, if you would actually read the OP. I asked for a base model to build as money became available.
Thank you to those who have actually tried to help.
I'd venture a guess that you've received a lot of suggestions of guns that are over budget because it takes a certain level of time=$ to fit a 1911 together well. One can start with an inexpensive 1911 and add quality parts over time, but still won't get the slide to frame fit, front strap checkering, barrel, bushing mating etc. To take an inexpensive gun and have it fit correctly from a good gunsmith would go way over the dollars it would have taken to start with a more well build pistol.

That doesn't mean that 1911s like the S&W PD1911 lightweight commander aren't competent or can't get the job done, I trusted one enough to carry it for awhile, however it isn't nearly as nice the Baer I pictured earlier and I just don't see the path to get from the first to the second incrementally over time.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that just because a suggestion might not seem the best fit for what you're asking it doesn't mean that the folks making it aren't trying to be of assistance.

1911 Forums
1911 Forums

Last edited by Short Cut; 02-14-2013 at 08:33..
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:29   #55
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilgunguygt View Post
It really all depends on the gun. My G21 will feed anything, as will all of the 1911s I own. My uncle has a colt1991 that will not feed any hollowpoints except gold dots and will not feed a SWC or a TC bullet profile at all. My XD45 will not work at all with SWC. The first round off the mag feeds and fires fine. Upon extraction it jams the empty in so tight to the top round in the magazine you have to practically beat the thing open.
Exactly my point. It depends on the guns.

My Glock 17 did not like Black Talons back in the days.

MY P220 didn't like Hydra-Shok.
Old 02-15-2013, 17:26   #56
Teecher45

Quote:
I'd venture a guess that you've received a lot of suggestions of guns that are over budget because it takes a certain level of time=$ to fit a 1911 together well. One can start with an inexpensive 1911 and add quality parts over time, but still won't get the slide to frame fit, front strap checkering, barrel, bushing mating etc. To take an inexpensive gun and have it fit correctly from a good gunsmith would go way over the dollars it would have taken to start with a more well build pistol.

That doesn't mean that 1911s like the S&W PD1911 lightweight commander aren't competent or can't get the job done, I trusted one enough to carry it for awhile, however it isn't nearly as nice the Baer I pictured earlier and I just don't see the path to get from the first to the second incrementally over time.

Anyway, just wanted to point out that just because a suggestion might not seem the best fit for what you're asking it doesn't mean that the folks making it aren't trying to be of assistance.

1911 Forums
1911 Forums
Well, those are good points that I hadn't considered.
But, it brings up more questions from someone that knows next to nothing about 1911's.
Does the frame to slide fit (and those other things you mentioned) hinder accuracy or reliability? Both?
If I bought a SA (or Colt, or such...) and then had a certified gunsmith fluff and buff it would that void the warranty from the manufacturers?
I was taking for granted I could add parts as money became available, but the way it sounds it just wouldn't be the same.

Last edited by Teecher45; 02-15-2013 at 17:27..
Old 02-19-2013, 19:10   #57
samuse

Quote:
Well, those are good points that I hadn't considered.
But, it brings up more questions from someone that knows next to nothing about 1911's.
Does the frame to slide fit (and those other things you mentioned) hinder accuracy or reliability? Both?
If I bought a SA (or Colt, or such...) and then had a certified gunsmith fluff and buff it would that void the warranty from the manufacturers?
I was taking for granted I could add parts as money became available, but the way it sounds it just wouldn't be the same.
Frame to slide fit doesn't have much to do with accuracy... As long as it's not excessively loose which is a pretty rare occurence.

There's not too many 'certified gunsmiths' I'd trust to fluff 'n buff on my carry gun. If you want to rely on the manufacturer, Springfield Armory is tops in my experience. I've had many good experiences with their custom shop.

Adding parts as money becomes available can be problematic with a 1911 since so many of the parts have to be fit together to work properly, not to mention finished or refinished after they're fit.

That's why I always recommend a ground-up build by a good 'smith (which can take a year+ if they're even accepting work), or preferably a custom by Wilson or Springfield. They build working guns and can turn out a good running compact.

I'm a little jaded when it comes to 1911s. I have fairly high standards for my carry/training pistols. After having tried to use 'em as a primary for quite some time, with less than satisfactory results, I ultimately ended up selecting a different platform to rely on day-to-day.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2013, 05:58   #58
Teecher45

Samuse, what did you end up going with?

Old 02-20-2013, 14:28   #59
mykylg30

para.

i have a para gi expert and it is great.shoots great (accurate, feeds good.) however doesnt like jhp's but i expect that from a 1911. so as far as i know from mine, a para warthog would be a sweet carry 1911.
mykylg30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 18:55   #60
samuse

Quote:
Samuse, what did you end up going with?

Glock 19 / Sig P229.

Quote: