Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 15:40   #26
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I just shot the P938. The recoil is actually quite mild (to my much surprise). Mechanical accuracy is also quite good.

However, there are many reports of reliability issues with both hollowpoints and ball ammo, so take it for what it's worth.

I assisted a lady with only 50-rds of ball ammo to shoot through her gun and there was one failure of slide not lock back on the last round. I believe that it is shooter error (limp wrist). I didn't have any issue with it not locking back or short cycling when I shot it. This lady is still a novice.

As far as the safety lever goes, it's a non-issue if the owner were to invest the time to practice with it until handling had became second nature. This applies to all guns, of course.
Old 02-16-2013, 00:42   #27
Glock&KimberLady
Booyah!

A bit late, but I concur with the "don't get a snubbie" crowd.

I have a S&W Model 19 and firing either .357 or .38 through it is a royal pain in the ass. (Pain in the wrist?)

I'm 5'8" and go 140ish, athletic as all get out, normally carry a 1911 or G36 (.45 caliber) and hell, I'd rather shoot a .44 Magnum than my Model 19.

Just sayin.
Old 02-17-2013, 13:22   #28
Cheri81

i am hoping to liberate my G19 from layaway in the next week or 2 and since where i live in Illinois there are no ranges let alone places to rent guns this is a truly blind faith purchase on my part i love my P22Q, my Ruger MKII, and my hubbys Buckmark and i have shot over 500 rounds out of his High Point 40 just to get used to the impact of something stronger than a 22 again i am not expecting to CC the g19, since i do live in Illinois and even if they ever pass it it will be so hard to get no one will be able to, BUT in the event i am able to one day with its size i think it would be possible for me to conceal it 7 months out of the year and i am 5'3 140lbs i know i can conceal my P22Q easily because i have when we leave the state (i have a Florida CC)

my question is does the G19 have any little quirks? i know every firearm is unique but is there anything i should know prior to use or to look for after a time or are they as rough and ready as their reputation states?
Cheri81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16   #29
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
............ Ever see one on a revolver?
Actually, yes I have. It was on a Taurus .22, not a gun I'd recommend for more than plinking.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 20:57   #30
audiomechanic

It's the wife. As part of my CHL, I got a packaged deal to take a class tonight going over lots of basics and had some range time too. The range only allowed us to shoot 9mm for the class of all women. I tried out the Sig 238 again and wow, that gun was a joy to shoot! Smooth as butter. Less recoil than my G19. I was talking to the guy at the range who was helping the lady instructor about my choices of Sig 238, 938, Ruger LCR and LC380. He's going to be bringing his Rugers on Sunday and told me I could try them out as well. At this point, I'm pretty certain I'll end up with the Sig 238.
audiomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:46   #31
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomechanic View Post
It's the wife. As part of my CHL, I got a packaged deal to take a class tonight going over lots of basics and had some range time too. The range only allowed us to shoot 9mm for the class of all women. I tried out the Sig 238 again and wow, that gun was a joy to shoot! Smooth as butter. Less recoil than my G19. I was talking to the guy at the range who was helping the lady instructor about my choices of Sig 238, 938, Ruger LCR and LC380. He's going to be bringing his Rugers on Sunday and told me I could try them out as well. At this point, I'm pretty certain I'll end up with the Sig 238.
Unbelievable. Sexist much at this range/class?

If you like the SIG P238, then at least see if you can borrow or rent the Colt Mustang as well. It's the gun that the P238 was cloned from.
Old 02-21-2013, 14:25   #32
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Unbelievable. Sexist much at this range/class?
I'm an NRA Instructor and we only allow our Ruger MKIIIs (.22) to be shot for qualification in our First Steps Pistol classes - men or women, big or small, "experienced" or not.

Student's guns may be brought and shot in our more advanced classes, and are recommended.
SARDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 14:28   #33
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Actually, yes I have. It was on a Taurus .22, not a gun I'd recommend for more than plinking.
I normally wouldn't recommend a Taurus for more than a boat anchor. Yes, I own a Taurus revolver - my first and last Taurus.
Old 02-21-2013, 21:19   #34
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARDG View Post
I'm an NRA Instructor and we only allow our Ruger MKIIIs (.22) to be shot for qualification in our First Steps Pistol classes - men or women, big or small, "experienced" or not.
That's smart practice, which is a heck of a lot difference from insisting that women's classes are limited to the mere 9mm round.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25   #35
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
I normally wouldn't recommend a Taurus for more than a boat anchor. Yes, I own a Taurus revolver - my first and last Taurus.
Hey, I was trying to be nice.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28   #36
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:

Student's guns may be brought and shot in our more advanced classes, and are recommended.
Years ago I was also an instructor, and taught ladies only classes. We allowed only 22's the first time shooting, but had several different models for them to try. I can't tell you how many times over I could have sold my S&W 41.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 02-22-2013, 09:32   #37
SARDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolfe View Post
Years ago I was also an instructor, and taught ladies only classes. We allowed only 22's the first time shooting, but had several different models for them to try. I can't tell you how many times over I could have sold my S&W 41.
In our NRA FSP class, they're stuck with the MKIII. But I run a ladies-only informal shooting group once a month where ladies are invited and encouraged to bring their own guns and ammo and/or try one another's or the instuctor's guns of all types.

We also have an Annual Ladies Day at the club sponsored by Glock and occasionally Savage Arms where the ladies can get an intro to handguns (and rifles) and sample 6 different competitive disciplines including trap shooting. Last year we charged $20 with all ammo, guns, eyes, and ears supplied. We're a bit worried about ammo supplies this year.