Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:15   #21
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko45 View Post
No need for a conspiracy theory for what can be explained by ordinary politics. At least they didn't poison him like they did in the old days.
No need for conspiracy theories for what can be explained by human frailty. Press reports tend to imply he is losing physical and mental ability. Leaders step down when they are no longer able to lead. It would also explain his intention to hide himself from the world.

Best guess is some signs of dementia. We all die at least once, If we are lucky, it's not too soon and we are ourselves for the duration. Not everyone is lucky that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
--Gunhaver
Don't let the guys quoted above contact your reps more than you.

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 02-16-2013 at 09:22..
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19   #22
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
It's been 600 years since a pope resigned. It's just not done. My guess is an internal political power stuggle in the church.
So, it's not unprecedented and not done either?

Most Americans have an odd view of what a long time is. 200 years seems like an eternity here, and antiques are 20 years old. I've been in pharmacies that have been in business in the same building since the 1400's. Antiques are generally 100 or more years old.

600 years ago really isn't that long ago for a European.

--Gunhaver

Old 02-16-2013, 21:11   #23
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
Most Americans have an odd view of what a long time is. 200 years seems like an eternity here, and antiques are 20 years old. I've been in pharmacies that have been in business in the same building since the 1400's. Antiques are generally 100 or more years old.

I've drunk beer in pubs that old, I'm pretty sure the patrons there would also consider 600 years a long time. What's your point?

Last edited by Geko45; 02-16-2013 at 21:13..
Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 21:15   #24
Geko45
CLM Number 135
Smartass Pilot

Quote:
We all die at least once,
Do any of us die more than once?

Geko45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:55   #25
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Do any of us die more than once?

It's called humor. Just a little levity.

A lot of people walk around as if they have always been alive, and always will be. Sorry, not so, not for us at least. We all die at least once, try not to die of anything you can avoid.

So, does an imagined story of political drama and intrigue require more or less assumptions than just plain getting old and worn out?

--Gunhaver

Last edited by Cavalry Doc; 02-17-2013 at 04:59..
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57   #26
Cavalry Doc
Platinum Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
I've drunk beer in pubs that old, I'm pretty sure the patrons there would also consider 600 years a long time. What's your point?
Never mind. You missed it. It's not worth going back over.

--Gunhaver

Old 02-17-2013, 08:53   #27
pugman

Quote:
So, it's not unprecedented and not done either?

Quote:
Time in this one case is irrelevant.

266 popes....4 including Benedict have now resigned.

There have been 43 men (44 presidents since Cleveland served nonconsecutive terms) with one resignation. One resignation in 224 years compared to 4 in the 2,000 or so for the pope.

The event is rare and frankly was partially planned. Remember, when Benedict was elected there was a lot of controversy/speculation why such an old man was chosen (he was the 5th oldest pople at the time of election at just over 78 years old).

Average age of popes at the time of election from 1503-2005 was 64.

Benedict was planned as a buffer between John Paull II and whomever the Catholic Church gets next...and if St Malachy was right?
Old 02-17-2013, 21:04   #28
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
Benedict was planned as a buffer between John Paull II and whomever the Catholic Church gets next...and if St Malachy was right?
Does anyone really believe the supposed prophecy of St. Malachy is legitimate?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:06   #29
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Does anyone really believe the supposed prophecy of St. Malachy is legitimate?
Me...no.

Anyone...I'm sure.

The Catholic Church doesn't need the help of some 900 year old prophecy to hail its decline and failure...its doing a good enough job of it on its own.

And truth be told look into the prophecy. It was declared a fraud by the catholic church in the 1500's..why? Some potential pope wanted to use it as a means to help him secure the office.

The catholic church is as corrupt as any government.

Last edited by pugman; 02-18-2013 at 06:09..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12   #30
Bren
NRA Life Member

I think they need to go find a magic baby to be the pope, like they do in Tibet.

Beyond that, it's about as interesting as a change of leadership in any other organization I don't belong to.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06   #31
G26S239
NRA Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan74 View Post
Protecting child molesters is staying faithful to the solid, fundamental values of the church?

Wowza! I'm glad I'm not Catholic!
It amazes me that people still are.
Old 02-19-2013, 14:37   #32
Roering
Sorting nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
It amazes me that people still are.
I wonder how many Roman citizens said that during the reign of Nero.

Never buy vegan tacos from a chick with longer armpit hair than yourself. - Woofie
Roering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 20:21   #33
rgregoryb
Sapere aude

his retired name is Ex-Benedict

"demography is destiny"
rgregoryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40   #34
GLWyandotte
Carbon User

Word is he's being arrested.
http://notocbcp.weebly.com/2/post/20...signation.html

Formerly Glockerel, 2003
GLWyandotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 22:55   #35
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWyandotte View Post
If he were really worried about being arrested, he wouldn't resign. As head of state for the Vatican, he enjoys diplomatic immunity.

In fact, that's one of the reasons being advanced for why he will remain at the Vatican after retiring, so that he will continue to enjoy protection he wouldn't have elsewhere.