SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-16-2013, 18:16   #1
Reaver2218

Send a message via Skype™ to Reaver2218
Almost drew my weapon tonight in self-defenese

I got a call from my sister that her boyfriend was drunk and had hit my 3 1/2 nephew and was verbally yelling and attacking her, I had my 5 year old niece over since it was her birthday the yesterday and I was taking her shopping and she spent the night so I got in the truck and went over to help her cause she was trying to leave the house with all her kids to get away and he wouldnt let her leave and was just trying to keep up the yelling.

I arrive there with my niece in the truck and my brother I tell them to stay in the car and I go up and knock on the door and she opens the door I can hear him yelling at her and I can also hear my two two month old twin nephews crying and my 3 yr old nephew crying I asked if she was ok and slowly entered the apartment and I tell her to get her things and start getting ready to leave I wave to my brother to come help and he comes and helps gather up the babies and stuff. once we start gathering the baby stuff he is now yelling and talking off to me and my brother and I tell him to stop or and to go up stairs and sleep it off hes lucky the cops arent here he then gets really upset and grabs a ball bat at that point I reacted and reached for my 19 and say dont be foolish to put it down and walk away. my brother politely walked him to the other room after that so I could get them out.

sorry for the wall of text yall.

your thoughts on this please chime in
Reaver2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:22   #2
quinnt

Should've got the cops involved. Starts a paper trail.

Also, IIRC some states could charge you with brandishing since you didn't use it, I'm not sure how Ohio is.

Last edited by quinnt; 02-16-2013 at 18:23..
quinnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:35   #3
Lone Wolf 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnt View Post
Should've got the cops involved. Starts a paper trail.

Also, IIRC some states could charge you with brandishing since you didn't use it, I'm not sure how Ohio is.
i would have called LEO.......that is their job
Lone Wolf 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:35   #4
Reaver2218

my firearm never left the holster I just placed my hand on it and took a defensive stance of protection. after the fact in hind sight I probably shouldn't have done that unless I was willing to draw and fire. being that the moment was heated and I asked her to call the cops ...my sister is not the sharpest knife in the drawer but she is my sister and I will do anything for her but I cant make her do anything she wants that being said I should have taken it upon myself to call the cops and get them involved. at least she is safe at my house for now.
Old 02-16-2013, 18:38   #5
Butcher
NRA Life Member

You should get a warrant for his arrest. You may not have witnessed him attacking her, but he took an offensive position with a baseball bat within striking distance of you. That'd be enough in my state. Lock his ass up. Do her a favor

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:41   #6
Stevekozak
Returning video

Your sister needs to quit having babies with this ********!
Old 02-16-2013, 18:47   #7
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Well these situations are tough because it's family and you don't necessarily want to get the law involved or God forbid, CPS. But from an outsiders perspective if the dude has a history of getting drunk and taking after people, a little car ride to jail might be what the doctor ordered.

Easy for me to say. I know how you feel. I have a sister too and you naturally want to come to her rescue, but this situation is one she created when she got involved with the guy. Now it's potentially putting you in a bad spot.

Sorry you're having to deal with this but either he needs to decide to get sober or your sister needs to decide she's had enough, until then you're probably going to have to deal with it again. A can of pepper spray might be wise to have on hand. You don't really want to shoot your nephew's dad. Christmas could get awkward.

But seriously, if you're having to strap on iron to go visit your sister because of this guy's antics, time to get her out of there or get the cops involved. You have to think of your nephew's too. Your sister made a choice to get with this guy but now your nephews are paying a price for that as well.

Whatever you do, you and your brother stay cool and out of jail. Your sister and those kids need you.

Hope everyone cools out and things get better.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 02-16-2013 at 18:54..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 18:48   #8
Reaver2218

I agree I have talked to her countless times about him and saying that she needs to leave him I am right now trying to get her to press charges on him after reading your comments I agree with you all 100%. this having happened only within the last 2 hours I am still pretty heated.
Old 02-16-2013, 19:12   #9
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
That pretty much sums it up.
Old 02-16-2013, 19:16   #10
matt_lowry123

Man that really sucks. I hope she leaves the guy, but she probably won't. I'd have a real problem with him striking a child. That's bat **** crazy!! That alone would have me calling the cops. Your sister will probably be pissed at you, but you need to put those kids first.
matt_lowry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 19:19   #11
jdavionic
NRA Member

These things can get ugly real quick. Next time, I'd recommend calling the police.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 19:37   #12
Rupert

Do the smart thing and call the cops next time.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 19:47   #13
Reaver2218

well a update I got my sister to call the cops so my brother took her to her apartment to meet them so there that is.
Old 02-16-2013, 19:51   #14
ChallengerSRT

I really don't think it would have been the best thing to pop a cap in your BIL ass in front of his children. Of course, it could have been much worse than that. I'm glad you got your sister and her kids out of there, but the bottom line is it seems she may be in an abusive relationship.
The next time may be much more serious in that your sister, the children, or all of them may be harmed. I think your sister needs to get some help. There are tons of programs available for her, but SHE needs to make a decision to get out of a bad situation.
If their relationship is salvageable, it may be best for them BOTH to seek counseling. Many health insurance companies cover such things. I wish them well.
ChallengerSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 19:54   #15
Scrappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevekozak View Post
Yeah I agree, well back in Ohio........
Scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 20:08   #16
larry_minn
Silver Membership

While hindsight is 20/20... What were you thinking? Call the Police, Call the Police.... With the way laws are that is ONLY smart course of action.
domestics are PITA. Ask any Officer? Lets play a "what if" Lets say he takes a swing at you with bat (miss) and you put two in him. (he lives) Now you spend time in jail (after the fun of intake) and your sister decides she really does LOVE him. Now you attacked the resident who is defending his home/family....
Or sis supports you. Dang near same thing. Anyone care to guess what this could cost in legal costs?....
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 20:30   #17
beatcop

Not a deadly force scenario...leave. Call the police.

Guy will quickly say YOU are the troublemaker and was trying to lawfully eject you from his apartment. Your Sister makes her own choices...you want to help? Give her the means/option to get out.

Comes down to: dealing with dunks is a waste of time...best avoided.
beatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 20:36   #18
Reaver2218

yeah thanks for the feedback everyone and now its lesson learned and mental notes made of what I need to work on and read up on.
Old 02-16-2013, 21:14   #19
ScottieG59

I faced a similar issue when my daughter was moving out of an apartment she shared with someone who turned out to be a drug user and thief. I made sure to get the police there first. I learned the sheriff's office would have been a better idea since it also involved confirming ownership of property. I was there with my wife and I warned her that if there is an altercation, we would simply leave.

It is just too easy to look like the perpetrator. Keeping the peace is very important. If there are issues, it helps to have law enforcement as the reliable witness.

There is no way it could work out well if you go to someone's apartment, have an altercation, and shoot that person (or even just show the gun).

Domestic disturbances are very risky and unpredictable. Police get more practice in this and they need to be involved before you walk in.
ScottieG59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 21:32   #20
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcop View Post
Not a deadly force scenario...leave. Call the police.

Guy will quickly say YOU are the troublemaker and was trying to lawfully eject you from his apartment. Your Sister makes her own choices...you want to help? Give her the means/option to get out.

Comes down to: dealing with dunks is a waste of time...best avoided.
To further add, if this situation did actually end with deadly force, Ohio law would most likely view the OP as the aggressor in this situation. As such, it wouldn't end well for him when he's in front of the prosecutor.

He may have had good intentions, but that's not necessarily the way the court will look at it. I agree, call the cops and let them handle it.

Last edited by NEOH212; 02-16-2013 at 21:33..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote