Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 20:33   #26
GLJones

Send a message via AIM to GLJones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
Honestly it really does not matter that much unless you are looking at it as a battle field rifle. Just keep it clean. A barrel is not that much money and pretty easy to swap out if you do wear one out. However 5k rounds in today's markets is 5k dollars. I am not going to be shooting that much unless the ammo is much cheaper or free...
We just need to find out where the TSA hands out Ammo. They have enough for all of us.
Niner #105
Big Dog #1004
Glock 26,30,36 and AR15
GLJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 20:36   #27
K. Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Sure doesn't sound like you were aware of that the way you posted.
Chrome-moly is one type of barrel steel. When that barrel is not chrome lined, it is “commonly referred to” as a chrome-moly barrel.
I’m not going to get dragged into one of your retarded arguments.
Old 02-14-2013, 21:49   #28
SpectreRider
Armed Citizen

Chrome lined does have a small accuracy penalty vs. chrome moly or stainless. It is because the barrel is made slightly larger than spec and then the lining brings it into spec. A small degree of accuracy is lost to the less precise nature of the chrome plating process.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by SpectreRider; 02-14-2013 at 21:51..
SpectreRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 22:26   #29
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

For a target or long range hunter I would not get a chrome lined barrel but for most other functions I would go chrome lined.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:59   #30
humanguerrilla

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 02-15-2013 at 04:34..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31   #31
humanguerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
A chrome lined barrel will last longer and be less likely to have extraction problems. A more important determining factor than whether or not it is CL is barrel quality.
A good non-chromed barrel (commonly referred to as chrome-moly) may be very slightly more accurate, but a good chrome lined barrel is better than a mediocre non lined barrel and will be plenty accurate for 99% of the shooters out there.
I recommend chrome lining.
You are really talking marketing, advertising words. Not all non chromed lined barrels are chrome-moly but it is how some are marketed. Plenty chrome lined barrels are chrome-moly. Notice the "C" and "M" in milspec 4150 CMV.

As for the whole chrome lined vs no, depends on the use. Chrome does have benefits over stainless. I definitely don't want a crappy uneven chrome barrel that adds more variables into the equation, but I'm happy with FN, Colt, and high quality CL barrels. Stainless steel barrels from the respected manufacturers are usually truly match grade barrels made to a high standard. I believe they are probably the better barrels but it depends on the use.
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:17   #32
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
Chrome-moly is one type of barrel steel. When that barrel is not chrome lined, it is “commonly referred to” as a chrome-moly barrel.
I’m not going to get dragged into one of your retarded arguments.
What does chrome lining have to do with a barrel steel?

A chrome-moly or chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel is still the same thing with or without chrome lining.

When a barrel doesn't have chrome lining, most people refer to it as "no chrome lining".

There's no argument but of you making up all these monikers.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08   #33
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
What does chrome lining have to do with a barrel steel?

A chrome-moly or chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel is still the same thing with or without chrome lining.
You are right, but K.Foster is also right. I have often seen non-chrome lined barrels referred to as "chrome moly" barrels. Chrome lined chrome moly barrels are refereed to as "chrome lined" even though the barrel steel is chrome moly. Some manufacturers use the "chrome moly" barrel to make naive customers think they are getting something special instead of just a non chrome lined barrel.

Even though both barrels may be CM steel, the manufacturers only designate this on the non-chrome lined barrels so something can be said about the "quality" of the barrel. It's marketing.

For instance, RRA stamps their barrels either "CL" for chrome lined or "CM" for chrome moly (non chrome lined) even though technically they are both chrome moly barrels.

Last edited by Travclem; 02-15-2013 at 10:11..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:25   #34
K. Foster

Trav, You phrased that much better than I did, thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 15:32   #35
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
You are right, but K.Foster is also right. I have often seen non-chrome lined barrels referred to as "chrome moly" barrels. Chrome lined chrome moly barrels are refereed to as "chrome lined" even though the barrel steel is chrome moly. Some manufacturers use the "chrome moly" barrel to make naive customers think they are getting something special instead of just a non chrome lined barrel.

Even though both barrels may be CM steel, the manufacturers only designate this on the non-chrome lined barrels so something can be said about the "quality" of the barrel. It's marketing.

For instance, RRA stamps their barrels either "CL" for chrome lined or "CM" for chrome moly (non chrome lined) even though technically they are both chrome moly barrels.
I agree with you that manufacturer's marketing does whatever they do in order to make a sales (witness "polymer" versus "plastic").

However, the educated gun owners shouldn't be using stupid monikers that make no sense.

A barrel either has chrome lined bore, or it doesn't. It's that simple. A barrel is made out of stainless steel, chrome molly, chrome vanadium, or some sort of other steel alloy mix.

Last edited by fnfalman; 02-15-2013 at 15:33..
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 20:39   #36
samuse

Look for another Colt.

Can't go wrong with one.

I's stay away from the boutique stuff. Unless you have a specific set of needs, you won't notice anything better about 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 14:40   #37
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
I agree with you that manufacturer's marketing does whatever they do in order to make a sales (witness "polymer" versus "plastic").

However, the educated gun owners shouldn't be using stupid monikers that make no sense.

A barrel either has chrome lined bore, or it doesn't. It's that simple. A barrel is made out of stainless steel, chrome molly, chrome vanadium, or some sort of other steel alloy mix.
Not so fast i have a melonited CMV barrel on my ACR....

Old 02-16-2013, 14:58   #38
TexasGlockster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
Look for another Colt.

Can't go wrong with one.

I's stay away from the boutique stuff. Unless you have a specific set of needs, you won't notice anything better about 'em.
This is kind of what I'm thinking. He certainly seems to like mine just fine.
TexasGlockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 16:03   #39
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem like Me View Post
Not so fast i have a melonited CMV barrel on my ACR....

So, if the same barrel without the melonite treatment would be called a chrome-molly-vanadium barrel? And the barrel with the melonite treatment would just be known as a melonite-lined barrel?
Old 02-16-2013, 20:57   #40
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Unless I'm expecting match level accuracy from a barrel, anything I purchase will have a chrome lined barrel.

Longer barrel life and easier to clean. I know modern metallurgy and manufacturing techniques are supposed to have made chrome lining obsolete. To each their own but I like to stick with what's been proven rather than buy into some yet to be proven gimmick.

Last edited by NEOH212; 02-16-2013 at 20:57..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 23:17   #41
WinterWizard

I would spend $1100 or so on a quality AR with a mid-length gas system and spend about $1000 tricking it out to my tastes. That's half the fun of owning an AR, customizing it to your needs.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote