GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32   #51
ChuteTheMall
What Difference
 
ChuteTheMall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Sinkholeville
Posts: 57,388


Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
What football team in their right mind would have what could be mistaken as a dope leaf as their symbol?
How long has that leafy thing been the Ohio Buckeyes' symbol? I've never seen it before. If it was recently adopted, as I suspect, it demonstrates extreme stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT View Post
Age 65 is NOT elderly. Actually, she is a 'seasoned' adult.
65 is the new 30.



Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
I always pay attention to cars with Obama stickers on them.

Usually, I can find drugs in the car, a warrant on one of the occupants, or a suspended/revoked license on the driver, no proof of insurance, or an expired registration. It's actually odd if I can't find one of those.

Always thought that was an odd coincidence.
I always keep an eye out for Obama-stickered cars. Usually, I can find an amusing expression on some faces when my big old black pickup truck suddenly cuts them off and/or stops short in front of them. Bonus points if they decide to swerve off into some shrubbery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Northern Ohio.


Why does the US military make majors and lt. colonels (o4 & o5) wear those marijuana leafs on their uniforms? And why do so many sheriffs wear those 6 pointed stars of David? It's gotta be a conspiracy.
ChuteTheMall is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39   #52
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!
 
wprebeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In a swamp, if I'm lucky
Posts: 8,471
Come on, my fellow officers! We should automatically believe the news report...it must be 100% true, with no agenda at all. Plus, how dare you rely on your experience doing the job? We are on the internet, and specifically in Glocktalk. Everyone here knows how to do your job better than you, because they read a book or watched TV or their best friend knows a cop...or something.

Point is, they know better than you how to do a traffic stop. They also know that the media ALWAYS lies about guns, but NEVER lies or misleads the public when it comes to reporting stories that make cops look bad. Nope - never that.
wprebeck is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:44   #53
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
Come on, my fellow officers! We should automatically believe the news report...it must be 100% true, with no agenda at all. Plus, how dare you rely on your experience doing the job? We are on the internet, and specifically in Glocktalk. Everyone here knows how to do your job better than you, because they read a book or watched TV or their best friend knows a cop...or something.

Point is, they know better than you how to do a traffic stop. They also know that the media ALWAYS lies about guns, but NEVER lies or misleads the public when it comes to reporting stories that make cops look bad. Nope - never that.
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:45   #54
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
Missing the point is one thing but this has effectively tuned into a strawman argument.

No one is denying that profiling is effective. The problem here is there was nothing that warranted the stop based solely on the information given. Try to stay on point.
Sorry about that. I'm just here to gather information on how I am currently doing my job wrong, and how to correct it. That's all.

__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56   #55
czsmithGT
Senior Member
 
czsmithGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 9,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
How long has that leafy thing been the Ohio Buckeyes' symbol? I've never seen it before. If it was recently adopted, as I suspect, it demonstrates extreme stupidity.
The buckeye leaf has been awarded to football players as helmet stickers for outstanding plays since 1968. It is also the official symbol of the Ohio State University Alumni Association. Ohio State has been nicknamed the Buckeyes for over 100 years.

Try to keep up.

Political Issues

Last edited by czsmithGT; 02-17-2013 at 07:04..
czsmithGT is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00   #56
SPIN2010
Searching ...
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: On the move ... again!
Posts: 1,840
Wow! You can pick the police right out of this thread.

Alienation of the police from the citizens they are sworn to ... (Well, I am not sure anymore) continues to pick up speed.

The kenyan's plan is working like a charm, police are more militant and more hostile to the public everyday. Q.E.D.

I wonder now how many "public servants" here on GT will fire on Americans when they pass the disarmament/gun control laws and people resist?

Oh! And flame on!

Last edited by SPIN2010; 02-17-2013 at 07:01..
SPIN2010 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:04   #57
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
Wow! You can pick the police right out of this thread.

Alienation of the police from the citizens they are sworn to ... (Well, I am not sure anymore) continues to pick up speed.

The kenyan's plan is working like a charm, police are more militant and more hostile to the public everyday. Q.E.D.

I wonder now how many "public servants" here on GT will fire on Americans when they pass the disarmament/gun control laws and people resist?

Oh! And flame on!


Here we go.
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24   #58
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed
 
barbedwiresmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: "Our side of the barbed wire"
Posts: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
Wow! You can pick the police right out of this thread.

Alienation of the police from the citizens they are sworn to ... (Well, I am not sure anymore) continues to pick up speed.

The kenyan's plan is working like a charm, police are more militant and more hostile to the public everyday. Q.E.D.

I wonder now how many "public servants" here on GT will fire on Americans when they pass the disarmament/gun control laws and people resist?

Oh! And flame on!
The "Kenyan's plan"? The police are doing a fine job of alienating themselves from those whom they police, and have been for quite some time, without any help from the white house (as any given thread on GT will attest).
__________________
www.barbedwiresmile.wordpress.com

"The plans differ; the planners are all alike." - Bastiat
barbedwiresmile is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50   #59
happyguy
Na Ben Don Chat
 
happyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,246
Everything about the stop sounds fine to me except the part where the officer advised them to remove the sticker. But that is really nothing if you think about it. He didn't refuse to release them until they did or anything like that.

The problem is it sounds like no one built any kind of rapport with them and we ended up with another citizen having an unpleasant run in with the police through no fault of their own.

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy
__________________
"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You have to set yourself on fire." - Arnold H. Glasgow
happyguy is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56   #60
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues
 
aircarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 24,347


Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS T MAG View Post
Having a sticker for the President of the United States on your car makes a cop look closer at your car? Jeez, I'll bet a Mt. Rushmore sticker would put them into a tailspin.
It raises the question of whether they have enough marbles left to drive a car successfully ...

.
__________________
They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18   #61
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIN2010 View Post
Wow! You can pick the police right out of this thread.

Alienation of the police from the citizens they are sworn to ... (Well, I am not sure anymore) continues to pick up speed.

The kenyan's plan is working like a charm, police are more militant and more hostile to the public everyday. Q.E.D.

I wonder now how many "public servants" here on GT will fire on Americans when they pass the disarmament/gun control laws and people resist?

Oh! And flame on!
You need to go back a little farther, back to the start of the war on drugs.
Ruble Noon is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:37   #62
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.
 
series1811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Retired, but not expired.
Posts: 14,311
Is there just the slightest, slightest, chance here, that these people got stopped for something else, were asked about the sticker in conversation, and then immediately decided that the only reason they got pulled over was for the sticker?

Is there the slightest chance that they didn't get pulled over at all and made the story up?

You know if you take every person in prisons word for whether they were guilty of something or not, we would have anybody in them.

People are sure quick to take everything they hear on the internet or read in the media at face value. No wonder con-men continue to make a good living with scams you can't believe people actually fall for.

I love reading about arrests and operations I have been involved in the paper. They ususaly have about ten per cent of the facts correct. So when I read other newspaper articles, I apply that formula when deciding how upset I should be at what I am reading.
__________________
I sure miss the country I grew up in.
series1811 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53   #63
amd65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North Coast of Ohio
Posts: 844
Send a message via Yahoo to amd65
As a resident of "northern Ohio", I see Obama stickers on cars all the time. Most are on upper end imports, soccer mom vans, and SUV's.
I guess all a pot smuggler here has to do is slap a Romney sticker on his car, and dispatch a few cars with Obama stickers ahead of him...smooth sailing.
__________________
Strange things happen when worlds collide

Last edited by amd65; 02-17-2013 at 09:53..
amd65 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:01   #64
TK-421
Senior Member
 
TK-421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
What you posted still doesn't indicate the legal basis for the stop.

Yes, a pot leaf, an Obama sticker, or anything else may make the police look closer at your car - they still have to wait for a legal basis to stop you. That isn't mentioned in the story and may not have been mentioned to the driver, but most people drive so poorly they are constantly providing reasons for a legal stop.
I bet the cop wouldn't have pulled them over at all if it hadn't been for the sticker. No sticker, no asinine reason to think they're carrying pot, no reason to pull them over.
TK-421 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:32   #65
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by series1811 View Post
Is there just the slightest, slightest, chance here, that these people got stopped for something else, were asked about the sticker in conversation, and then immediately decided that the only reason they got pulled over was for the sticker?

Is there the slightest chance that they didn't get pulled over at all and made the story up?

You know if you take every person in prisons word for whether they were guilty of something or not, we would have anybody in them.

People are sure quick to take everything they hear on the internet or read in the media at face value. No wonder con-men continue to make a good living with scams you can't believe people actually fall for.

I love reading about arrests and operations I have been involved in the paper. They ususaly have about ten per cent of the facts correct. So when I read other newspaper articles, I apply that formula when deciding how upset I should be at what I am reading.
Hey! You shut your trap with that logic and reasonable thinking. There is no room for that in a good cop bashing thread by some of these experts on police procedure.
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38   #66
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd65 View Post
As a resident of "northern Ohio", I see Obama stickers on cars all the time. Most are on upper end imports, soccer mom vans, and SUV's.
I guess all a pot smuggler here has to do is slap a Romney sticker on his car, and dispatch a few cars with Obama stickers ahead of him...smooth sailing.
Funny you should say that...

I'm yet to be verbally accosted before I have even reached the vehicle by any one with a Romney sticker on their car. Only the occupants of vehicles with Obama stickers plastered all over the back do you receive that kind of treatment before you even get out of the car. It's just downhill from there.

It's not the sticker. It's the attitude that goes along with the sticker that is the dead give away of who you're actually dealing with. They don't have the self control, decency, or intellect to be able to fake their way through that.
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin

Last edited by sheriff733; 02-17-2013 at 10:42..
sheriff733 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39   #67
Bruce H
Senior Member
 
Bruce H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: missouri
Posts: 4,519
Asset forfiture and all the goodies that go with it.
__________________
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Bruce H is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48   #68
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!
 
wprebeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In a swamp, if I'm lucky
Posts: 8,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Sorry about that. I'm just here to gather information on how I am currently doing my job wrong, and how to correct it. That's all.

I know what you mean. I thought that after 13 years of doing this, I had a pretty good grasp on how to do my job. And all this time, all I had to do was read Glocktalk.

Here, people with absolutely no experience in my field can tell me exactly how I should be doing it. It's awesome, isn't it? I mean, all I have to do is take their word at what the law means and how it's applicable to any given situation. Case law and established precedent be damned! These guys know it ALL, baby!

And don't forget - the media lies about ALL things gun related...but tells the 100% unvarnished truth about anything that makes LE look bad. Rock on, man!!
wprebeck is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:55   #69
somebodybuymeaglock
Senior Member
 
somebodybuymeaglock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Posts: 359
Anytime there is a holiday police go nuts. Suspected drug dealers, possessors, hookaz, etc will be targeted because they have CASH. After all, they can take their property under color of law. Cop thinks he smells mj in your car, and its time to take your stuff. Even if they are found innocent in court good luck getting it back. It was already disappeared...T the mall or maybe a nice restaurant.

Starting in november it gets very hot. Why? Lets have a look...

Thanksgiving
Christmas
New years
Valentines day

This gets very expensive for everyone including police.
In the real world this is theft. When cops do it it is the law. You only have to be suspected of a crime for them to take your s***.
__________________
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session."

-Mark Twain

Last edited by somebodybuymeaglock; 02-17-2013 at 10:59..
somebodybuymeaglock is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58   #70
Syclone538
Senior Member
 
Syclone538's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Asset forfiture and all the goodies that go with it.
Only after conviction, right?
__________________
Some people want freedom, even for those they disagree with, and some don't.
Do lot Do so sinh Ban buon quan ao Chup anh cho be
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
...
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.
...
Syclone538 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 11:08   #71
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER
 
sheriff733's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
I know what you mean. I thought that after 13 years of doing this, I had a pretty good grasp on how to do my job. And all this time, all I had to do was read Glocktalk.

Here, people with absolutely no experience in my field can tell me exactly how I should be doing it. It's awesome, isn't it? I mean, all I have to do is take their word at what the law means and how it's applicable to any given situation. Case law and established precedent be damned! These guys know it ALL, baby!

And don't forget - the media lies about ALL things gun related...but tells the 100% unvarnished truth about anything that makes LE look bad. Rock on, man!!
__________________
Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 12:47   #72
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?
 
TBO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NRA Life Member
Posts: 43,655
Blog Entries: 1


Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodybuymeaglock View Post
Anytime there is a holiday police go nuts. Suspected drug dealers, possessors, hookaz, etc will be targeted because they have CASH. After all, they can take their property under color of law. Cop thinks he smells mj in your car, and its time to take your stuff. Even if they are found innocent in court good luck getting it back. It was already disappeared...T the mall or maybe a nice restaurant.

Starting in november it gets very hot. Why? Lets have a look...

Thanksgiving
Christmas
New years
Valentines day

This gets very expensive for everyone including police.
In the real world this is theft. When cops do it it is the law. You only have to be suspected of a crime for them to take your s***.
Is that you Alex Jones?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2
__________________
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”


Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 13:00   #73
DOC44
Senior Member
 
DOC44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 10,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by czsmithGT View Post
The buckeye leaf has been awarded to football players as helmet stickers for outstanding plays since 1968. It is also the official symbol of the Ohio State University Alumni Association. Ohio State has been nicknamed the Buckeyes for over 100 years.

Try to keep up.

Political Issues
Bucky Hayes and Lou Holtz learned a long time ago it is not a good football idea to go very far south of the Ohio River (recently reinforced idea)... consequently lots of people down here in SEC land never see them Buckeye stickers and there are probably more marjuwanna leaves in TN than there are Buckeye leaves. With all that said it is still no reason to pull someone over, IMO.

Doc44
__________________
Have Gun Will Travel
DOC44 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 13:31   #74
Gills63
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 184
This is a dumb article and has turned in to a dumb thread. We should send the fellow asking about staying low key over here so he sees how it is. If my kids ever have a career day, I guess Ill go as the boogie man.


Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Gills63 is offline  
Old 02-17-2013, 13:53   #75
Snowman92D
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff733 View Post
Hey! You shut your trap with that logic and reasonable thinking. There is no room for that in a good cop bashing thread by some of these experts on police procedure.
It's all part of a libertarian doper conspiracy to punish conservatives for not voting for Ron Paul for President. (Remember when many of them said they were gonna vote for Obama to "punish" conservatives?) When people get tired of police enforcing anti-dope laws, and of Obama taking their rights away, they will come to their senses and vote for Ron Paul.

Once elected, Ron Paul will appoint Cynthia McKinney as Attorney General, and Lew Rockwell as director of Homeland Security. The police will be prohibited from stopping anybody for any reason then.

http://www.independentpoliticalrepor...inney-friends/

Last edited by Snowman92D; 02-17-2013 at 13:53..
Snowman92D is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 751
203 Members
548 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42