Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:27   #101
barbedwiresmile
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post

The "social issues", especially abortion, are just about all that separates republicans from democrats.
You've stated this a few times, and I think it succinctly sums up the problem. Social issues are not all that should separate the parties. By making this accurate observation, you've backed into the real problem: that both the republicans and the social democrats are both parties of big, activist government. The republicans attempt to differentiate themselves (and garner votes) by representing themselves as the party of 'conservative' social values. In reality, however, they support the same dynamics of big government as the democrats. And when it comes to the national security state, both parties are in lockstep. There is no opposition party standing in the way of the growth of the federal state and the absolute power it assumes. Just witness the 'debate' on presidential powers of assassination and secret committee - leaders of both parties are falling over themselves to assume powers for the chief executive, and for the state, with scant regard who may wield such powers in the future. And as for fiscal issues, the record speaks for itself on government spending under both parties. So yes, you're right, non-issues like school prayer and 'legitimate rape' are all that's controversial among the parties.

"The plans differ; the planners are all alike." - Bastiat
barbedwiresmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:34   #102
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
You've stated this a few times, and I think it succinctly sums up the problem. Social issues are not all that should separate the parties. By making this accurate observation, you've backed into the real problem: that both the republicans and the social democrats are both parties of big, activist government. The republicans attempt to differentiate themselves (and garner votes) by representing themselves as the party of 'conservative' social values. In reality, however, they support the same dynamics of big government as the democrats. And when it comes to the national security state, both parties are in lockstep. There is no opposition party standing in the way of the growth of the federal state and the absolute power it assumes. Just witness the 'debate' on presidential powers of assassination and secret committee - leaders of both parties are falling over themselves to assume powers for the chief executive, and for the state, with scant regard who may wield such powers in the future. And as for fiscal issues, the record speaks for itself on government spending under both parties. So yes, you're right, non-issues like school prayer and 'legitimate rape' are all that's controversial among the parties.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38   #103
JBnTX
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanVic View Post
No. This is not a social issue, it's a fiscal one. The social aspect of it would be the use of contraception in the first place, and people like Rick Santorum would be a prime example of what I mean when I say they need to keep their opinion to themselves if they are against the use of birth control all together.
Taxpayers having to pay for abortions IS a social issue.

Why should Rick Santorum need to keep his opinion to himself if he's against the use of birth control? Doesn't he have a first amendment right to free speech, especially as a political candidate?

You libertarians really show your true colors sometimes.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:10   #104
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Notice that in most sex scenes that the woman is always on top. Every show has a woman in charge, or if a man is a co-star he shares power with a woman.
You have got to be the crankiest old crank on GT.

Gunhaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14   #105
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

If manliness were so bad, why is it pushed on females so much? Imitation is the biggest form of flattery!
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17   #106
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:

Why should Rick Santorum need to keep his opinion to himself if he's against the use of birth control? Doesn't he have a first amendment right to free speech, especially as a political candidate?

Is the government keeping Santorum from expressing his opinion? I don't think so so his first amendment rights are perfectly safe.

He should have kept his opinion to himself if he didn't want to be mocked out of the running by an overwhelming majority of the population that didn't care to hear his message. It's called being out of touch but you wouldn't know anything about that.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55   #107
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Youse writing a novella,sounds like it.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12   #108
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post
Is the government keeping Santorum from expressing his opinion? I don't think so so his first amendment rights are perfectly safe.

He should have kept his opinion to himself if he didn't want to be mocked out of the running by an overwhelming majority of the population that didn't care to hear his message. It's called being out of touch but you wouldn't know anything about that.
^^This applies equally well to Ron Paul.

Most of us want to see conservative fiscal policy. We need a man like Reagan that can inspire people, stay on message, and draw in the votes.

BTW, ideas like eliminating all entitlements right now don't work. Yes, that is the goal. Good luck getting elected w/ that message.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41   #109
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

They gotta go.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36   #110
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I ain't got time to read that. Gunna build a shed, mow the yard, go whoop this dude's ass who looked at me the wrong way, slam some beers, then whisky, and finally pound my ol' lady. She'll be on the bottom.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 13:08   #111
snerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
I ain't got time to read that. Gunna build a shed, mow the yard, go whoop this dude's ass who looked at me the wrong way, slam some beers, then whisky, and finally pound my ol' lady. She'll be on the bottom.
Hot damn! Memories of my younger years. Brought a tear..........
Old 02-19-2013, 13:13   #112
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
What a wussie.

A REAL man would make her get on top and do the work.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 13:25   #113
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
What a wussie.

A REAL man would make her get on top and do the work.
I have to pass out sooner or later.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 14:03   #114
wprebeck
Die, bird, die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
It's a joke. I had no clue what a mani-pedi was until I had to ask my wife what it was when it was mentioned on a sitcom. If you want a serious discussion, OK.

Would you describe your home as Urban, Suburban or Rural?

When was the last time you killed a mammal for the purpose of eating it?

Who cuts your hair, a barber, a stylist, a family member, or yourself?

If you pay to have your hair cut, what is available to read while waiting?

How long have you been carrying concealed?

I'm not done reading the thread, so I may have more comments, but wanted to answer this one for fun:

Suburban, but redneck as heck (we currently have chickens and guineas only, but have had goats, pigs, rabbits, and the fowl as well). Trying to get bills paid off and move to the country.

Got two deer myself and a third donated. Killed a few ducks, plus the tree rats. That was this year - no luck on turkeys this season. I typically kill and butcher my own stuff @ home (see the aforementioned pigs & rabbits for an example). I hang Bambi and his cousins in my backyard for aging and butchering, as well.

I cut my own hair, and the wife shaves the boys. The girls see a stylist...because they're girls. Sometimes, if she's home when I need it, my wife will shave my head, as well. Haven't been to a barber shop in well over a decade, and never set foot in a salon for my own hair care.

See above for hair issues.

I got my CCDW permit at the minimum age (21) for my state. That was in 1997. Been carrying since then, but as an officer since 2000. Had a permit until LEOSA passed; since then, haven't had a need for it. Will get another one someday, I'm sure, but since I have over 10 years of service, LEOSA covers me for the rest of my life. Good times.
wprebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 16:57   #115
Cavalry Doc
Silver Membership
MAJ (USA Ret.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprebeck View Post
I'm not done reading the thread, so I may have more comments, but wanted to answer this one for fun:

Suburban, but redneck as heck (we currently have chickens and guineas only, but have had goats, pigs, rabbits, and the fowl as well). Trying to get bills paid off and move to the country.

Got two deer myself and a third donated. Killed a few ducks, plus the tree rats. That was this year - no luck on turkeys this season. I typically kill and butcher my own stuff @ home (see the aforementioned pigs & rabbits for an example). I hang Bambi and his cousins in my backyard for aging and butchering, as well.

I cut my own hair, and the wife shaves the boys. The girls see a stylist...because they're girls. Sometimes, if she's home when I need it, my wife will shave my head, as well. Haven't been to a barber shop in well over a decade, and never set foot in a salon for my own hair care.

See above for hair issues.

I got my CCDW permit at the minimum age (21) for my state. That was in 1997. Been carrying since then, but as an officer since 2000. Had a permit until LEOSA passed; since then, haven't had a need for it. Will get another one someday, I'm sure, but since I have over 10 years of service, LEOSA covers me for the rest of my life. Good times.
Your MAN CARD is safe, put it back in your wallet.

Ivan either doesn't have one, or might need to turn it in.
Cavalry Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:08   #116
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:

Well, if he wanted to get elected he should have kept his stupid **** to himself. He and the rest of the republicans need to understand that to change anything you have to be elected first. They also need to understand that social issues are a dead horse that they're beating as evidenced by the losses of pray the gay away Bachman, ass police ban birth control Santorum, legitimate rape Aiken and rape babies are God's will Mourdoch.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 21:50   #117
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX OMFS View Post
^^This applies equally well to Ron Paul.

Most of us want to see conservative fiscal policy. We need a man like Reagan that can inspire people, stay on message, and draw in the votes.

BTW, ideas like eliminating all entitlements right now don't work. Yes, that is the goal. Good luck getting elected w/ that message.
Reagan grew the state like few before him. He squandered billions and expanded the empire fighting a socioeconomic philosophy that was doomed to failure anyway.
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 22:10   #118
TX OMFS
Right wing nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedfunds View Post
Reagan grew the state like few before him. He squandered billions and expanded the empire fighting a socioeconomic philosophy that was doomed to failure anyway.
You're missing the point. He destroyed his Democrat opponents by convincing Democrats to vote for him. We need a funny, personable guy that can make his opponent look foolish without being "mean". He has to appeal to conservatives, some libs, and spineless independents. We need our own Slick Willy.

Last edited by TX OMFS; 02-19-2013 at 22:11..
TX OMFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 22:28   #119
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX OMFS View Post
You're missing the point. He destroyed his Democrat opponents by convincing Democrats to vote for him. We need a funny, personable guy that can make his opponent look foolish without being "mean". He has to appeal to conservatives, some libs, and spineless independents. We need our own Slick Willy.
To this day, when I watch some of Reagan's more famous speeches, I cry. Unfortunately, he is held up as a conservative measuring stick by conservatives who prefer a large, powerful state.
Old 02-19-2013, 23:21   #120
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry Doc View Post
It's a joke. I had no clue what a mani-pedi was until I had to ask my wife what it was when it was mentioned on a sitcom. If you want a serious discussion, OK.

Would you describe your home as Urban, Suburban or Rural?

When was the last time you killed a mammal for the purpose of eating it?

Who cuts your hair, a barber, a stylist, a family member, or yourself?

If you pay to have your hair cut, what is available to read while waiting?

How long have you been carrying concealed?
Interesting questions.
My home is rural by any definition.

I took 1 deer this November with a longbow the way real men do it. (OK, so it was an opportunist shot out the back door but I did not take it to the processor) We have some pretty fat squirrels running around here that I've been eyeballing but I want to get a pellet gun to save .22 ammo first.

I have an awesome Wahl trimmer that I can cut my own hair with because as much as I'm indifferent to the military I do like their logic about haircuts.

I like to cover up the stupid tabloid rags at the grocery store counter with gun magazines and stuff like Scientific American and Popular Mechanics from the big magazine rack that I read while in line.

I've been licensed to carry almost 6 years and instructing others just as long. I don't usually carry because there's just no need here in Mayberry but I always go strapped when I venture out to the bigger towns, especially when going to the theater. I'm working on getting another PPK for a smaller EDC because the one I have is rather girly and I won't carry it.

And on me at all times is a Swiss army knife, a maratac flashlight and a really slick tactical folder and a lighter. Fire, light, blade. I have a brother in the Navy.

I guess my mancard status is also safe. Unless you factor in the fact that at least 50% of my income comes from making wedding rings for gay couples. That might bump me down a notch or two.

Almost forgot, all of this after being raised in Chicago by pacifist JWs. Now I despise big cities. Do I get points for overcoming impossible odds?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45   #121
certifiedfunds
Platinum Membership
Tewwowist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunhaver View Post

I've been licensed to carry almost 6 years and instructing others just as long. I don't usually carry because there's just no need here in Mayberry but I always go strapped when I venture out to the bigger towns, especially when going to the theater. I'm working on getting another PPK for a smaller EDC because the one I have is rather girly and I won't carry it.
I Know an awful lot of people who carry and shoot. Other than you, the only person who REALLY carries and refers to it as "going strapped" would be Dr. Dre', as in "strapped wit gats".

The more you post about guns and gun related things the more it looks like you don't own or carry.

Oh, finally, men with a card would buy their girlfriend's medicine, not whine and demand other people pay for it.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52   #122
hogship
It's MY Island

Quote:
The more you post about guns and gun related things the more it looks like you don't own or carry.
I've considered that possibility as well, and haven't been able to rule it out.

I'd like to ask gunhaver a question or two about guns and give him 10 seconds to answer........that would solve the issue, but can't do that here......

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link
www.picturetrail.com/taipan22alpha
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:25   #123
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogship View Post
I've considered that possibility as well, and haven't been able to rule it out.

I'd like to ask gunhaver a question or two about guns and give him 10 seconds to answer........that would solve the issue, but can't do that here......

ooc
Challenge accepted. I guess none of you fools saw my Glock laser prototype. What kind of anti gun person tinkers around with stuff like that?

I've already played this game here and won when I was called a fraud for posting a picture of my NRA pistol instructor card. As I recall some coward named Zombie Surgeon called me a liar and then backpedaled when I told him I could prove even further that it really was my card.

Shall we play a game?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:27   #124
Gunhaver
the wrong hands

Quote:
I Know an awful lot of people who carry and shoot. Other than you, the only person who REALLY carries and refers to it as "going strapped" would be Dr. Dre', as in "strapped wit gats".

Oh, finally, men with a card would buy their girlfriend's medicine, not whine and demand other people pay for it.
Dude, I'm from downtown Chicago. It's just a figure of speech. It's amazing how constantly you have me pegged wrong.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51   #125
Atlas
transmogrifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbedwiresmile View Post
...By making this accurate observation, you've backed into the real problem: that both the republicans and the social democrats are both parties of big, activist government. ...
And that is all you need to know.

You go to the polls and vote believing that you have a voice in government.

As long as there are only the two parties, GOP and DNC, you have no effective voice in government in the long run, at the federal level.

Given that, and given that we have over time allowed the original order of government:

local
state
federal

to become inverted to:

FEDERAL
state
local

...then we have no effective power at all in the governance of the nation.

Given that reality, over the long term the entire "political process" in the U.S. is merely window-dressing.

Uncontrolled, unaccountable government spending + Graduated income-tax = SLAVERY

Last edited by Atlas; 02-20-2013 at 07:53..
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote