Originally Posted by Rabbit994
I'm positive this is what Obama wanted. His goal is single payer. Since he couldn't get that through Congress, his goal was to cause so much turmoil that in 10 years when insurance premiums are through the roof and half of insurance companies are gone with Medicare doctors being non existent. General public would be begging for single payer and republicans will roll over and approve it.
I've posted many times I work for a major health insurance provider...I'm not blue and I don't quack.
Coworkers and I have discussed this time and time again; I don't think a single payer is logisitically possible...at least for now. I can envision a lot of different routes but they all end at the same place [puts on tin foil hat].
By the end of year, I see most commerical insurance providers closing shop. Some in the know can see a few hundred, some 1,000 plus, some all but the very few big boys-it simply boils down to the small business owners response to ObamaCare. Most large companies (including mine) are self funded.
Since the fed did it with GM; I could see the federal government buying up the stock of a few big boys creating regional insurance companies of some sort and in effect Nationalizing health care.
Doctors are a tough call. The top specialists in the field i.e. the guys you really want to see when you are sick or need a procedure
at some point will refuse to see ObamaCare patients as long as private insurance exists. One of the biggest reasons insurance companies try and get physicians contracted is to control the quality of care within their network.
What this clearly shows is the government is clueless. $5 billion to last nearly 4 years on acute (what we call High risk patients) patients is impossible. 135,000 people with $5 billion dollars equates to $37,000 per person for the entire 4 years.
My employer regularly pays $10-$15,000 a month for hemophiliac patients (their drugs are extremely expensive); diabetics can easily run $5-$6,000 a month.
Remember, Medicare is expected to double its cost by 2020 to nearly $1 trillion dollars-this is 40%+ what the government took in as income in 2010.
Since insurance generally means 98% of the people pay for the other 2%...and 95% of the money spent medically for the average person is spent in the last two years of their life I could see mandatory cutoffs. Proof?
"“We’re being very careful stewards of the money that has been appropriated to us and we wanted to balance our desire to maximize the number of people who can gain from this program while making sure people who are in the program have coverage,” said Gary Cohen, director of the Department of Health and Human Services’ Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight."
Remember those words...maximize the number of people..when it comes to buying votes...you want to touch as many people as possible. Do I keep grandma alive at $7,000/month in a nursing home who only has one vote or do I provide services to the children of ten couples who have more votes.
Regardless..Medicare/aid like social security is a train wreck waiting to happen