GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2013, 22:47   #21
GLOCK19FTW

For me, the built-in safeties, reliability, and the high-cap mags were the deciding factor.

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 22:48   #22
ditto1958

Like a previous poster, I thought I was the world's worst handgun shooter. My S&W SD9 is a really nice gun, but like the Sigma, it has a terrible trigger. I could stand 10 feet away from something, take careful aim at it, shoot, and have no idea where my shot went. Certainly not at my target.

Last week when I took my new G23 out for the first time, I could not believe how much easier it was to shoot. I almost had to try to miss.
ditto1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 22:58   #23
chewybaca67

Send a message via AIM to chewybaca67 Send a message via Yahoo to chewybaca67
Mags also! Mags were/are reliable and, back then in 2004, very cheap! I'm rich by any margine at all, but the fact that Glock mags are reliable and were cheap, definitely sold me on it.
Old 02-19-2013, 22:59   #24
ithaca_deerslayer

I remember the first Glock I shot. It was around 1990. A 17.

I was at a semi-public range that belonged to a gun shop. Shooting a bolt centerfire from a bench. The guy next to me offered if I wanted to try his Glock 9mm. It was the first one I had ever seen. Sure, I said. Love at first sight It worked nice.

A few years later I bought a 26 for carry. I don't think that gun has ever hiccuped. Years after that, I also bought a 17

Two of the best guns I have. The Beretta 92 is also up there in reliabilty and likability.
Old 02-19-2013, 23:00   #25
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
Last week when I took my new G23 out for the first time, I could not believe how much easier it was to shoot. I almost had to try to miss.
If you get the chance, try a 24 or 35... the longer slide 40s are dang accurate and so fun to shoot!

I have been thinking of getting a 357 sig barrel for the 6" 24! A 124gr XTP coming out at about 1500 fps sure might be fun for pig hunting or deer!

Last edited by BMiracletx; 02-19-2013 at 23:02..
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 23:04   #26
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Two of the best guns I have. The Beretta 92 is also up there in reliabilty and likability.
Funny you say that... I have an FDE G17 in my night stand, my wife has a Beretta 92 M9... she likes shooting it and shoots it better than she does a Glock... so thats the one she wanted in her drawer.

Last edited by BMiracletx; 02-19-2013 at 23:06..
Old 02-19-2013, 23:14   #27
pgg00

I was carrying a 1911 at work. In 1999 policy came out that 1911s weren't allowed anymore, no grandfather clause. Tried several types at a rental range, settled on the glock 21 and 30. Bought them both. $300 LE price for the 21 with night sights and $350 for the 30 with night sights. I now have 6 glocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 23:31   #28
gaKeith

Back in the mid? 90's I bought my first glock. It was a 23. I bought it because i kinda felt sorry for it,,just kidding. Alot of people called it the most ugly gun they have ever seen and worst yet, it was made of plastic! yada yada yada ..I thought it was the one of best looking pistols in the market. It reminds me of a pit bull...only pit bull owners think their dog is cute, or mean looking...etc. I happen to like Pits and think they are cute...anyways I hope some folks got a laugh..heheh..I still remember the ser# ALM960US bought at a gun shop in Kailua, Hawaii

Last edited by gaKeith; 02-19-2013 at 23:45..
gaKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 23:32   #29
garjc90

The day I turned 21 I was at the LGS looking into buying my first handgun.... That day a glock 22 gen 4 came home with me.... I think more than 5000 rounds have been fired through it. I have had only two FTF one was due to a defective primer I think..(due to the fact that after I pulled the trigger...flinched and nothing happened. The primer had a mark... So I put it back in the mag and pulled the trigger again... And BAM! It fired... And the second one was a round that had no primer nor powder in it whatsoever... Not sure what happened to that one. I kept it... Filled the primer spot with hot glue and painted the round safety orange. That's what I use to practice drills sometimes... But other than that it has not failed me... But to answer one of your questions. I got mine in 2011 so then a 27 gen 3 followed me home one day... Then recently got me a 19 gen 4. Couldn't be happier with any of me'. Sorry for the extremely long reply... Lol :D
garjc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 23:39   #30
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

In the spring of 1986 I saw an ad for Glock 17's in the Shotgun News, and I ordered one. It was the best impulse buy I ever made.
General Glocking
General Glocking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 23:48   #31
clarkz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
In the spring of 1986 I saw an ad for Glock 17's in the Shotgun News, and I ordered one. It was the best impulse buy I ever made.
Butch,

I think you need to give up that box so I can use it for my G19.

I got into Glocks in the early 90's. 2 G23's, a G20 & a G21.
I just loved the simple efficient design compare to my 1911's
and Sigs/M9 etc.

Now I have another new G23 gen3 and an 89 G19. Once you learn
the trigger it's one of the best firearms you can own.
G23 gen3 .40/.357 Sig
Florida Glocker #1923

Last edited by clarkz71; 02-19-2013 at 23:53..
clarkz71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 23:48   #32
Smooth_squeeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracletx View Post
Based on this, then perhaps you are correct... he might have ended up in jail. Just because I personally haven't heard of anyone does not mean people haven't. As for PTSD... never rule it out. My first 10 1/2 years I was enlisted and saw some things that I still don't like to talk about. My last 9 years have been on the officer side of things and am now fixing folks. I am a doc now and see/treat people with PTSD all the time. The funny thing is that most of them seem perfectly normal on the exterior. The military (and especially the sniper corps) teach their folks to compartmentalize their emotions. Either way, sounds like you are a good friend and he is doing okay.

Enough of this talk... back to Glockin'!!! I have 21 Glocks and I have to agree with your friend. My 17, 19, and 34 see the most rounds in my arsenal.
Nice try, sir! (I've been through this before, and I have friends both in the officer corps and elsewhere. Some of them are active duty, others retired)

BTW, his father (retired Army Colonel) is also a doctor.

Your comments regarding the sniper corps leads me to believe his comments (I agreed with them at first blush) about the way the media consider those in the military, to be spot on.

And yes, he is a good friend, and he is "doing okay" as you write.

BTW, what seems to be your attempt to "talk down" to me, in somewhat elegant form, is what I'd consider, in other forums, to be "patronizing".......... I hope I'm wrong.

Best,

Smooth_squeeze
Smooth_squeeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 00:05   #33
New23

I had no experience with handguns when I took a handgun introductory class. As a part of the class, we got to shoot several different types of guns. I noticed that I shot the Glock (a 17) best, I didn't have to remember which way the safety lever worked, and the trigger pull was the same for each shot. Then I researched Glocks a bit and found out about their extreme reliability, and settled on the 23 for the combination of power and "compact" size.
New23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 00:12   #34
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth_squeeze View Post
BTW, what seems to be your attempt to "talk down" to me, in somewhat elegant form, is what I'd consider, in other forums, to be "patronizing".......... I hope I'm wrong.

Best,

Smooth_squeeze
Smooth_squeeze, by no means was that my intent and I apologize to you if I made you feel that way. Sometimes intentions can be misunderstood over the internet. I am sorry that you feel I was "talking down" to you. My intent was not to sound patronizing either. I wish there was a smiley to extend a handshake!
Old 02-20-2013, 00:20   #35
4095fanatic

Needed something concealable and that would go bang every time I pulled the trigger... GLOCK was the only handgun that seemed to fit the bill, and the blue label program put me over the edge (fire dept).

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
4095fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 00:50   #36
table

i wanted to start shooting GSSF also
table is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46   #37
GJHIII

Kept hearing how dependable and easy to maintain they were. Then I ran into some old friends that I used to shoot with alot. They gave me grief about still shooting my antiques and informed me that they had sold all of theirs and had full line-ups of Glock's. So I gave the G23 Gen 4 a try and haven't looked back. Not bad for a plastic gun. (HeHe)

Last edited by GJHIII; 02-20-2013 at 01:47..
GJHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:17   #38
Taphius

Hickok45 and blue label discounts. Not many choices out there can match reliability/accessories for the price when new
Taphius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:48   #39
TTex
Cannon Fodder

A couple-o-three years ago I thought all automatics were bound to jam or quit on you at some point. Enter the G17, not sure the round count as of now, but I'm pretty sure it is north of 2000, has fired EVERY round I've put into it with no problems! It's simplistic design, ease of maintenance, aftermarket parts availablity, reliablilty, accuracy, durability, and high capacity are hard to beat! Since then I've purchased 3 more, and they have really gotten me into shooting!
TTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45   #40
21 Glock salute

For me it was at a friends house. He had a G21 laying on the table. He and I were both revolver/1911/3rd gen S&W shooters to a fault. I asked him "What the hell is that?" he said "a .45" and I picked it up and fell in love. The rest, as they say, is history.
21 Glock salute is offline   Reply With Quote