Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2013, 18:40   #81
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
Rethinking that I know that they can in states like Florida where I live, what I meant to ask is do you think that this will beat certain aspects of the anti gun lobbies plans?
I feel that it will and will become an integral part of my plans in the unlikely event certain events do come to pass
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence Ö from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable Ö the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference ó they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 19:41   #82
SRT76

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
Rethinking that I know that they can in states like Florida where I live, what I meant to ask is do you think that this will beat certain aspects of the anti gun lobbies plans?
Yeah. I don't think any strategy is fool-proof (emphasis on the fool). But after talking to my attorney and doing some research, I feel like its at least a better option. And more secure than doing nothing. According to my lawyer if they tried to go retro-active and invalidate a trust that is legal now, it would be unconstitutional. But with the current administration and more and more people being afraid if guns (read less and less people being educated about them) I don't think anything is impossible.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-17-2013, 22:36   #83
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT76 View Post
Just signed my gun trust!!!!!

Congrats!

Final details ironed out with 'Family Group Buy' (& order fully funded) for the Integral Suppressed 300 Blk Liberty-cans Leonidas!

http://libertycans.net/leonidas.html

5K more 300 Blk Brass on the way!

(Way more than that ordered by friends & family! )

Ordered a Nikon P-300 (dual-BDC 300 Blk) scope & rings for the AAC Handirifle..

Magazine Pouches ordered for the 300 Blk...

..dedicated 300 Blk mags now numbering 60+

And 2 more AAC 51T 300Blk mounts on the way for the AAC 762SD!

A good (300Blk) week!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 02-17-2013 at 22:45..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 19:29   #84
ClydeG19

I bought my first two #10 cans of freeze dried vegies and I got some honey. Baby steps. I wish I had $1k for a good start on a food supply, but I've got to do it little by little. Luckily I found there is a Honeyville store here in the Phx metro area. I'm going to try to buy a few cans per month and gradually build up.

I also learned how to open my garage door when the power is out. Ok, it's rather simple, but the thought only occurred to me recently that I couldn't get the potential bug out vehicle out of the garage if the power was out.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 20:34   #85
quake

(Not sure how to say this without sounding like a creepy old man...) Hosted 14 young girls at our house for a "Discipleship Now" weekend from Thursday night to Sunday. They know my wife a lot better than they do me, since my wife cooks for 40-50 teenagers at the church on wednesday nights, and this year the 9th grade girls apparently requested our house as their host home. Yes, I know this isn't the religion forum, but I think we objectively made some positive "preparation" influence on most, if not all, of them. Twelve 9th grade girls and two college girls as their group leaders; fourteen girls in all, in a hosue that usually has nothing but one grown woman and some male yetis. Our housecat may never recover emotionally. And in all seriousness, no 'creepy old man' factor on my end; I could about be their grandfather.

(And in the more normal 'prep' categories), received a new holster that I'd ordered a few weeks back along with quick-attach conversion straps to allow snap-on & off use, rather than belt-threading being always necessary for my main pistol holster.

Been trying to find a ghb-kit holster (a safariland 6005-219-121 or 6005-219-121-NH if anyone knows where they might be in stock), but no luck finding one in stock anywhere. Been using the 6004 version for this use for the glock for quite a while now, and am trying to migrate over to the M&P.

Also been pushing & changing suppliers for a few things, making substantial inroads in one of our business categories; more than doubling our cctv business compared to this time last year.

Worked on pistol precision the last few weeks. (May as well work on precision rather than speed; my speed kind of sucks anymore. Think I've got early arthritis in both thumbs now.)

Haven't lost any more weight in the last couple weeks, but haven't gained any back either so I guess that's a win...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07   #86
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Been trying to find a ghb-kit holster (a safariland 6005-219-121 or 6005-219-121-NH if anyone knows where they might be in stock), but no luck finding one in stock anywhere. Been using the 6004 version for this use for the glock for quite a while now, and am trying to migrate over to the M&P.
Have you tried Optics Planet.com - also search for a discount code - I think they have 10%off
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:25   #87
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
Have you tried Optics Planet.com - also search for a discount code - I think they have 10%off
I have. They've been saying "27-37 days" for several weeks now. I may just order from them & see what happens...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:23   #88
PaulMason

Quote:
I have. They've been saying "27-37 days" for several weeks now. I may just order from them & see what happens...
I looked on you site for the GHB.

A couple of suggestions:
Check out www.backpackinglight.com for lightening up the pack.

Katadyn Pocketceramic water filter - check out the Sawyer - smaller lighter and can be added to the Camelbak

Rain Poncho - look into rain jacket and pants - can be used for warmth and windy conditions

Space blankets - I've found those to be fragile and make a lot of noise - look into SOL blankets - unfortunately they are orange.

2 Tarps that cover 8 X 8 - check the weight on those - in an emergency you could use TYVEK - lighter and found at Home Depot. I haven't tried it but Lightweight backbackers used it as a ground cloth

Food - I attach a small stuff sack to my shoulder harness and put gorp and other Power Bars in it for quick access.

Gloves - I didn't see them - either to fight the cold and/or protect your hands.

Leg rig Vs Chest Rig for gun - I don't have a leg rig. But I don't even like things in my pockets when hiking - it tends to rub, bounce and annoy me. Chest rig better - I don't know. But, it could help with concealment.
Old 02-20-2013, 14:34   #89
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
I looked on you site for the GHB.

A couple of suggestions:...
If you mean the survivinginamerica site, it's not mine, just something somebody else put together and I put a couple articles on. Been quite a while back actually; I'm not connected with it other than some ramblings I posted there last year.

As far as holster choice, I'm not the world's biggest fan of thigh holsters either, but with my particular setup it's what I ended up settling on due to a combination of other factors. Big part of it is that my ghb setup is a hydration vest with detachable backpack. Vest is molle-front and has 'stuff' all on it; not really room for a holster there, at least not in a place that I want one personally. Standard belt holster is out because of pack hip belt being in the way, so that pretty much left thigh rig. I do wear it as high as possible, just barely clearing the pack belt. As you say, I don't like bouncy-floppy crap on my legs or pockets when hiking either.

Concealment's not a big issue with this holster & gun. If I'm using this gear (and I do occasionally hike the property with it), anyone who sees me sees a guy with backpack, molle vest, and either a CAR-15 or M1 carbine; so I don't figure I lose much by letting them see that I have a pistol as well. At least nothing lost by letting them see "that" pistol - there are times when I have only one pistol, but no time is that pistol my only pistol.

Old 02-20-2013, 19:39   #90
OMDonald

I'm having a little trouble picturing your setup of a hydration vest with detachable pack while the pack has a hip belt.

Anyway, have you considered using a Tek-Lok or other method to attach your holster to the pack-belt or your normal belt when not using the pack?

Last edited by OMDonald; 02-22-2013 at 16:57..
OMDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 20:32   #91
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMDonald View Post
I'm having a little trouble picturing your setup of a hydration vest with detachable pack while the pack has a hip belt...
Vest is a camelback delta-5 hydration vest and pack is an Ares Armor Combat-12.

Survival/Preparedness Forum

The pack attaches to the vest via two shoulder straps and two side straps; these straps are intended for connecting to a molle plate carrier. The hip belt is actually attached to loops at the bottom of the vest rather than the pack, but serving the same purpose since the pack is supported by the vest.

Sounds cumbersome, but by releasing the two pack straps on one side, the pack can be swung around to your front so you can get into it without removing it. And you can drop the pack entirely by releasing all four straps, and still have the hydration vest and all the molle-mounted junk on the front of it. Works pretty well.

This video shows it better than I'm explaining it. They're using a molle plate carrier rather than a molle hydration vest, but same approach.

Last edited by quake; 02-20-2013 at 20:33..
Old 02-20-2013, 22:29   #92
Unistat

Put together a basic GHB for a friend who drives around quite a bit for work. I was able to use only extra stuff I had laying around so there are a few gaps.

On that note, if you could pick only one flashlight style, would you pack a small handheld or a headlamp?
Old 02-20-2013, 22:35   #93
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Vest is a camelback delta-5 hydration vest and pack is an Ares Armor Combat-12.

Nice Setup!!

Presently looking for a dedicated armored+hydration pack/vest for my integral 300 Blk..

..& your setup has a LOT of what I am looking for!

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 02-20-2013 at 22:38..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:02   #94
OMDonald

What I could not visualize (and still cannot) is how a hip belt of a detachable pack prevents using a belt holster - because there isn't one. A regular pack with shoulder straps and hip belt on a MOLLE vest is less than spectacular.

Safariland makes great attachments that will lower the holster on your belt so that your draw will not be impeded by the sides of your vest. That would be my recommendation after seeing what you have.

I still suggest considering a Tek-Lok for use with a regular pack belt.

That is a great setup. You have to like the Ares pack. How do you like the Camelbak vest?

Last edited by OMDonald; 02-22-2013 at 16:58..
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46   #95
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unistat View Post
Put together a basic GHB for a friend who drives around quite a bit for work. I was able to use only extra stuff I had laying around so there are a few gaps.

On that note, if you could pick only one flashlight style, would you pack a small handheld or a headlamp?
headlamp - leaves your hands free, if you need to set up camp in the dark.

But, you should have a backup. Also, try to find ones that use the same size batteries and take rechargeable batteries.

This is a good idea:
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/nite-...ight-headband/

I just got a Fenix E11 - good for $28 & 105 Lumens.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52   #96
quake

Quote:
That is easy to understand, and Ares detachable combat packs are great. What I could not visualize (and still cannot) is how a hip belt of a detachable pack prevents using a belt holster - because there isn't one. A regular pack with shoulder straps and hip belt on a MOLLE vest is less than spectacular.
There isnít a hip belt on the actual pack, but there is on the vest. I could attach the holster to that belt, but donít since I donít want to remove the pistol every time I remove the vest. A layering thing - pistol first, vest second, pack last. Simply so the vest can be worn whether or not the pack is on, and the holster can be worn whether or not the vest is on.

As far as 'less than spectacular' on the separated nature of the pack & the hip belt, I agree. Just something I learned to accept in order to have the kind of setup I wanted. The overarching goal was a hydration unit with detachable pack and molle front. Could have gone with a plate carrier instead of a vest, but still wouldn't have a true pack hip belt on the pack itself. One help is that the pack isn't overly heavy-loaded; right at 28-30 lbs iirc, so it's not as bad as it could be.

Quote:
ÖSafariland makes great attachments that will lower the holster on your belt so that your draw will not be impeded by the sides of your vest. That would be my recommendation after seeing what you have.

I still suggest considering a Tek-Lok for use with a regular pack belt.

That is a great setup. You have to like the Ares pack. How do you like the Camelbak vest?
Never used a tek-lok, but not sure if it would be quite low enough to clear pack belt & the pouches on the side of the vest & pack. Might work fine, but the drop holster lets me adjust up & down to personal preference, which isnít nearly as far down as some folks wear them. Just enough to clear stuff when drawing.

Love the Ares pack; Iíve added some pouches to the back and some bottle holders to the sides and am very happy with it. The vest is fine although I wish it was more rigid. It works fine and has never had any problems when Iíve worn it hiking, but Iíd just prefer it to be a little more stiff & rigid regarding the pack shoulder connections. Theyíre molle/fastex buckled and do work fine; never had a problem, but I suppose Iím just overly ocd about wanting Ďmore rigid & secureí. Maybe Iíll get it out of the truck & take some pics of final setup. Itís mismatched as far as patterns & colors (some OD, some coyote, some camo, etc), but functionally itís fine, and finding the exact pouches in the exact sizes I wanted, and finding them in stock, meant accepting different patterns & colors. Personally, donít much care about the cosmetics of it, but it does look like something kludged together. (Which I guess is what it isÖ)

Old 02-21-2013, 12:47   #97
OMDonald

I didn't realize there was a hip belt on the vest. Does your hip belt fit directly over your pants belt?

The "less than spectacular comment" wasn't directed at your setup. It is more a general idea from my experience with MOLLE vests with pouches and separate experience with backpacks. Padded shoulder harnesses, sternum straps, and padded hip belts of backpacks seem like they would limit the usefulness and comfort of MOLLE vests with many pouches such as 30 round mag pouches. I realize it has been done in the past, but it is also why detachable packs such as the Ares were developed.

I have used Tek-Loks on many backpacking trips to attach item(s) to the pack belt so that I can transfer the item(s) quickly to my pants belt if I remove the pack. I do the same for river crossings as I undo the hip belt and sternum strap in case I need to ditch the pack.

The most recent iteration of Tek-Lok is better IMO so that I use them more now.

Who cares about the colors as long as the system works for you? My system might be a little different, but we both have our own reasons for making them the way they are.

Last edited by OMDonald; 02-22-2013 at 12:03..
Old 02-21-2013, 14:54   #98
quake

Quote:
I didn't realize there was a hip belt on the vest. Does your hip belt fit directly over your pants belt?
It's an rigger's type belt, threaded thru those loops on the bottom of the vest. Pretty much right over the pants belt, give or take.

Quote:
...Padded shoulder harnesses, sternum straps, and padded hip belts of backpacks seem like they would limit the usefulness and comfort of MOLLE vests with many pouches such as 30 round mag pouches.
They do cause limitations there, just one of the compromises I had to accept to get the kind of 'layered' approach I wanted.

Old 02-21-2013, 16:38   #99
OMDonald

Intriguing. Do you have anything on the belt or does it have a specific purpose? I find this very interesting.

Last edited by OMDonald; 02-22-2013 at 12:00..
Old 02-21-2013, 20:47   #100
quake

Quote:
...??? I feel like we are discussing the same subject without communicating at all.
I get that sometimes...

Fwiw, to kill my threadjacking, see here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1473266

Better description (I hope), and with pics.