SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25   #1
MStarmer
In Jail...

This Sucks...

11/1/02 rescued a chocolate lab of unknown age from our local shelter to add a layer of security at home for our young daughter. Dog literally had it's head and whole front body stuffed inside a 5gal bucket of water playing. It was an instant bond from the first night home where she slept at the foot of my daughters bed (right under the window). This continued until recently when she was physically unable to climb up on the bed and then was forced to the cushy Costco bed on the floor. We lost her on 2/15 and the pain is almost unbearable. For people that think a pet is just a pet, I pity you.

Man's best friend is an understatement, Porsche you will be missed forever.

Woof Memorial Critter's Corner
Old 02-20-2013, 21:54   #2
catalyst686

Sorry for your loss, my golden passed around this time last year and I still think about him everyday.
catalyst686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 22:02   #3
dsa1115

A couple years ago I had to put down my 15 year old female lab, and yes it's tough. First time in a long time I had tears in my eyes but after a few months, I went out and got my new honey.

Old 02-21-2013, 00:34   #4
MStarmer
In Jail...

Thanks guys, I knew it would be tough but I never imagined this. I still look for her laying in her normal spots and caught myself calling for her when I let our other dog in and out. Then once the wife starts crying I start to get upset too. I just hope we did right by her and gave her the best life possible. I can't even imagine getting another animal at this point but my wife doesn't think that's fair to all the animals that need homes and someone to love them. I know she's right but my god I don't want to feel like this again.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:46   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

That's so hard to go through. I know your loss. But, you have to save another one, they are counting on us to live.

To many a dog is just a dog. When you look them in the eye, they are Mr. Dog.

I still haven't made an urn for my old dog's ashes. I couldn't think of a design worthy of him.

I just finished one for my Great Grand daughter. As a result of being made to face these issues, I also now have an design for him.

These things are difficult to do.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00   #6
railfancwb

I left a cat cemetery at the North House and now have one at the South House. The first cat in the South House cemetery actually had died before I moved, but I had promised her she could come with us...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10   #7
MStarmer
In Jail...

Janice6 great words, very true. We have not got the ashes back yet but have been looking for something worthy of her. I kind of taken aback as to whether you want a private cremation or just a group thrown in together. I made it clear that my dog will have a private cremation and she deserves to come home,
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45   #8
cllrtr

So very sorry. Sounds like she had a great life with you. RIP sweet girl.
cllrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 17:04   #9
MStarmer
In Jail...

Thanks again to the posters, I come back and re-read this every day. I know everyone goes thru this loss, but it's been a very long time though for me. Porsche was my daughters first dog, her lifelong friend and protector. She was never a just "pet" to us, she was family from day one. I still can't believe how much it hurts, especially watching our other dog searching the yard and house for her. She doesn't know what to lay against now.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42   #10
JDSTG58

I got a German Shepard mix breed of unknown age from the pound for my uncle. My uncle had significant mental health issues. He would experience a break with reality every 2 years or so. He had that dog for 12 years and never had a break in that time. The friendship and love Spot gave to him supported him for those 12 years. Anyone who says an animal is just an animal does not understand the power they have to change our lives for the better.
JDSTG58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 18:32   #11
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Mstarmer, I am sorry for your loss and I know what you mean. I have owned a number of dogs and cats that we rescued over the years and they all lived long and complete lives with us until the end. Our dogs and cats really are an important part of our families.

I also kind of feel sorry for people that cannot appreciate what we experience. The unconditional love and loyalty pets provide is truly special. It is too bad they cannot live longer lives. We did have a cat that lived 21 years though.

Take care,

Steve
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-

Last edited by sdsnet; 02-28-2013 at 18:34..
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56   #12
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Sorry for your loss after 10 great years bro.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16   #13
MStarmer
In Jail...

Thanks guys, 2 weeks today. It is amazing how important they become in your life and how much of a hole they leave behind.

Last edited by MStarmer; 03-03-2013 at 11:18..
MStarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:22   #14
MStarmer
In Jail...

Wife thinks I'm crazy ranting that I will never get another dog, I don't want to feel like this again etc... Although she is very upset too I know she will want another protection dog before long. It will be based on the fact that the other dog is lonely NEEDS us to save and help him...

Last edited by MStarmer; 03-03-2013 at 20:22.. Reason: delete empty spaces...
MStarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:08   #15
rover4x4

One of only a couple things that makes me sad, I am sorry you lost your dog. It's amazing at how much they improve the quality of life. There really isn't anything more gratifying thn your dog coming to the door after a long day at work. I am on my fourth Brittany Spaniel, great dogs this one is by far the best it will be a very hard day when he leaves.
Attached Thumbnails
Woof Memorial Critter's Corner - Click for larger version  
Old 03-03-2013, 18:31   #16
GLOCK19FTW

Sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what I'll go thru when something happens to my pup.

We rescued her from the pound when she was 6 weeks old.. That was 7 or 8 years ago.

But for now, RIP Porsche :(

...( _)
/"""""\======░
/"""""""\
\_@_@_@_@_/
GLOCK19FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:58   #17
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
Janice6 great words, very true. We have not got the ashes back yet but have been looking for something worthy of her. I kind of taken aback as to whether you want a private cremation or just a group thrown in together. I made it clear that my dog will have a private cremation and she deserves to come home,

I am now trying to design a stained-glass container in the Tiffany style With a reflective metal inside liner. I love stained glass and I think it is worthy of his ashes.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:51   #18
RLB

Sorry for your loss.
I agree with your statement about pity to those that think a pet is not a family member
RLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:26   #19
MStarmer
In Jail...

Thanks RLB, I miss her more than some people I've lost. They love you from the first day until the last, always happy to see you even after you've disciplined them etc. I can't remember the quote exactly: I wish I could be the person my dog thinks I am... something along those line anyway. I knew the day would come eventually, selfishly I was hoping later than sooner but not at the expense and quality of life for a valued member of our family. Now after a few weeks I can look back and see how immobile she had become, how much pain she must have been in before the end became apparent. They could have tried a surgery but were no guarantees on what they could do and at that point we were not sure she'd survive. Having gone thru this with family members and watched them suffer thru tubes and hoses and still end up dying just with a lot less dignity. I didn't want my dog to die on the table and not us be able to say good bye. I wanted her to know we were the ones trying to make it better for her. My daughter at her head and me around her when it was done it was us, no strangers other than one girl for the injections. I just hope that her last minutes with all of us is what she remembers and how much love we had to give her for all those years.

I can deal with the worst people society has to offer and I don't think I'd loose a bit a sleep over them but here thinking about my dog in it's little wood box turns me into blubbering idiot.

Thanks for the support from all. I know it gets easier as time goes on but it's going to take a long time.