Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2013, 22:08   #1
Ruggles

Two new optics purchased and mounted.

Picked up a couple of new optics this past week or two.

A Trijicon Tri Power mounted in a Trijiocn/ARMs carry handle mount.

Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum

First impressions (have not had the chance to shot it yet) are:

Pros:
*Well built like any Trijicon product, thing just feels tough.
*Fantastic recticle, the 14 MOA chevron is great. Big and quick on target with the ability to use the point for finer accuracy.
*Great glass, very clear
*Very flexible eye relief, easy to shoulder the rifle and get on target

Cons:
*Battery life, 110 hrs which is well below Eotech or Aimpoint.
*Tritium power is rather weak. Recticle is visible but only in no light and it's pretty dim.
*Washout of the recticle when going from dark to light rooms.

The cons listed above are only indoors and without the battery being used and in semi dark rooms. When outdoors the fiber optics kicks in strong and the recticle is very very strong. No washout at all. No battery needed at all outdoors. When in a room with semi good lighting (overhead lights, sunlight thru a window etc) the fiber optics are very good at lighting the recticle.

In a nutshell this thing is awesome outside without power. Is very usable indoors with a light source using only the fiber optics. In a situation where there is no light source the battery easily overcomes this and lights the recticle. With no battery and no light source it is barely usable.

I like it alot and plan to keep it mounted on the 16" dissipator it is pictured on. I really like the carry handle mount. The Tri Power lines up very well with line of sight and it is very quick to drop the eye down and use the iron sights and the mount as it is "see thru" to allow the iron sights to be used. It works very very well IMO. Paid $609 for the Tri-Power at Sportmans Guide and $60 for the mount at DVOR.

I also ordered a Leatherwood 1x4 CMR to mount on a 18" 6.8 SPC AR15.

Black Rifle Forum
Black Rifle Forum

I had a Trijicon 3x9 mounted but really wanted a 1x4 on this gun. I sold the Trijicon and debated on which 1x4 to buy. I stumbled across the Leatherwood and found it interesting. Some really great reviews out there about it. Some not so great. This was the one that made be take a chance on it.

I really like his reviews and trust his opinion. I ordered one for $299 from DVOR and ordered some inexpensive Millet mounts for it.

Pros:
*Again just feels solid and well built. Solid clicks on the adjustments and nice finish on the outside.
*Love the recticle. The horseshoe grabs my eye and draws me to the center dot very quickly.
*The adjustment features is has are pretty neat and very functional IMO.
*The glass is extremely clear, as good as the Trijicon it replaced IMO.
*Adjustments are x 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 as marked and are easy to adjust. I added the $17 small handle on the magnification adjustment, very easy to adjust while in the shoulder and still on target. Very nice feature.
* Comes with flip up covers, nice addition.
*Etched recticle, illuminated by battery if desired.

Cons:
*Made in China. I wish it was American made.

Again I have not shot this yet but it I also really love this thing. The glass and recticle are winners IMO. The illumination is nice indoors but hard to see outdoors in daylight. Of course honestly I do not see a need for it outside in daylight as the recticle is big enough to grab the eye without it. I really can not imagine a better scope for the money. The Millet rings are pretty good, some finish issues but hold the scope well and mount to the gun well. I will see how they hold up. I will not be taking the optic off and on the rifle so I am not worried about them holding zero thru that.

I will try a post some after shooting info but from what I have seen so far I am a happy buyer.

Last edited by Ruggles; 03-01-2013 at 22:14..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 22:25   #2
K. Foster

Congrats.
Not trying to nit-pick but did you consider taking the carry handle off and mounting the tri power directly to the flat top?
Old 03-01-2013, 22:38   #3
Ruggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Foster View Post
Congrats.
Not trying to nit-pick but did you consider taking the carry handle off and mounting the tri power directly to the flat top?
Not nitpicking at all I would have asked the same thing honestly.

I did mount is using the mount that comes with the Tri Power directly to the rifle. It was fine and worked well.. I even mounted a Troy BUIS behind it. Like I said it worked fine but when I mounted it on the carry handle it just felt like a eaiser and quicker sight picture for me. It feels much better than it looks like it would by just looking at the pictures of the setup if that makes sense.

I also like the fact that I still have full access to the iron sight this way. Hard to explain but carry handle mount has a "tube" you look thru to allow use of the iron sights when mounted. That "tube" creates a nice focused "channel" for lack of a better word that really brings the front sight post into focus.

I have always found that optics fit people differently. I am not saying these are the best for everyone but for me they work really well. I like a bigger recticle that grabs my older eyes. 2 MOA is not gonna work for that

Last edited by Ruggles; 03-01-2013 at 22:39..
Ruggles is offline   Reply With Quote