Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-01-2013, 19:51   #1
Teecher45

What does NTB really mean?

I think I have seen it referenced that the proper way to shoot an AR with a carry handle is nose to bolt (NTB), but what does that really mean. Can someone tell me?
Thanks...
Old 03-01-2013, 20:45   #2
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

It's actually Nose To Charging Handle.

For 40 years, the way the military has taught the M16 to be fired, to ensure the shooter has the same sight picture, every single time.

Not everyone can do it, especially shorter troops with the A2 stock, but it enforces not having a wandering head on the stock and solid iron sight picture. With an ACOG it's also fairly necessary due to the short eye relief.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 20:57   #3
Teecher45

Duh, yeah. Don't know how I got NTB.
But, does that mean I (right handed shooter) stick the left side of the charging handle into my right nostril?
Or something else?
Old 03-01-2013, 21:08   #4
Tarant

I dont shoot that way too much but when i do i place the tip of my nose to the left side of the charge handle. Iam not sure it matters much as long as you do it the same everytime.

Personally it drives me nuts to be that close to the charge handle dont know why, so i placed a piece of velcro to my stock a little farther back and i can get the same sight picture everytime when it touches my cheek
Old 03-02-2013, 05:17   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Was taught to shoot nose to handle many years ago. Always shot Expert
doing that. I continue to shoot NTH when using iron sights
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 14:09   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Not in The Butt?
Old 03-02-2013, 14:54   #7
.50 cal

National Tire Battery
Old 03-02-2013, 16:47   #8
Cole125
Silver Membership

Whatever works for you is how you should shoot.

Last edited by Cole125; 03-02-2013 at 16:48..
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 18:51   #9
Teecher45

Okay, thanks for the help. But, does it mean I (right handed shooter) stick the left side of the charging handle into my right nostril? Tip of nose? Middles of nose? Or something else?
Old 03-02-2013, 19:06   #10
steve1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
Okay, thanks for the help. But, does it mean I (right handed shooter) stick the left side of the charging handle into my right nostril? Tip of nose? Middles of nose? Or something else?
If you use this method, then you would touch the tip of your nose to the back of the left side of the charging handle. The point of this is to have your aiming eye in the same position relative to the sights every time. It doesn't actually matter where your eye is, as long as you can consistently place it. The charging handle touching the nose is just an easy reference point.
Thomas Paine: "...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law-abiding) deprived the use of them."
steve1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:31   #11
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

What Steve said.

If you've got half a charging handle in the nostril itself, you're doing it wrong.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:39   #12
.50 cal

I wonder how well this method will work with a 308 pistol, I still think the chin stock is the best tactical accessory
Old 03-02-2013, 21:01   #13
surf

It was the easiest way to train the widest array of 18 year olds to learn consistency with their shooting and produce great results.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41   #14
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .50 cal View Post
I wonder how well this method will work with a 308 pistol, I still think the chin stock is the best tactical accessory
The chin stock is the gayest thing I have seen in years!

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 03-03-2013 at 05:41..
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 15:16   #15
samuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
The chin stock is the gayest thing I have seen in years!
Ha! Yaeh, that thing is definitely a bad idea no matter how you look at it.

I like NTCH for shooting irons, but it is difficult for me to shoot that way using the modern techniques I've learned in various training classes.

If I square up to the target and use a mostly isosceles stance, my cheek weld is on the stock. I run my stock (M4 waffle, MOE or SOPMOD) on the first click out on a 4 position Colt receiver extension. That puts my nose about 2 1/2-3" from the charging handle. Not a problem with a red dot.

The stock in that position gives me just enough LOP to have a comfortable wrist position while shooting, the stock is far enough out for a tight high port and I can pull the stock into my bicep to shoot rollover prone.

If I shoot irons or run an ACOG, I have to get slightly bladed to the target and/or fully collapse the stock to get my nose up to the charging handle.

It's definitely a good way to shoot, but not the only way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 19:17   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I like NTCH when making precise/distance shots. So if I'm going to take my time and put that hole in the paper right where I want it, it's NTCH. Often this is prone, or at least seated or maybe kneeling. Something with some kind of support vs just standing offhand. I zero with NTCH.

However, if I am doing a "run 'n gun" closer range defensive type thing where I am standing and moving, I do as samuse stated above. I keep my head more upright (bringing the rifle to my face moreso than sticking my neck out and dropping my face onto the rifle) and end up farther back from the CH.

As my primary carbine has a variable power (1-4x) scope with pretty generous eye relief (for a scope) I have no problem using either/or of those methods, situation dependent.

It applies just as well with irons. The larger (0-200) aperture for a more head-up style of shooting, or NTCH and flip to the smaller aperture on the rear sight when looking for more precision.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 03-03-2013 at 19:19..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20   #17
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

NTB nuts to buttz... Not really a shooting......your weapon thing..
Old 03-06-2013, 12:34   #18
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
What Steve said.

If you've got half a charging handle in the nostril itself, you're doing it wrong.

Oh man, I really appreciated the healthy chuckle that elicited this morning.

I can see & hear this being delivered to some puzzled shooter in a deadpan, dry manner, too. BTDT.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote