Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2013, 23:53   #1
droidfire

Kabar/SOG

So, i've definitely put my Kabar brand knives through their paces, and they have in many ways exceeded my demanding expectations.

Kabar is a win, but i'm interested in opinions on SOG brand knives - any happy campers out there playing with them?
droidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:57   #2
Hedo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post
So, i've definitely put my Kabar brand knives through their paces, and they have in many ways exceeded my demanding expectations.

Kabar is a win, but i'm interested in opinions on SOG brand knives - any happy campers out there playing with them?
I have a SOG Seal Pup. It is a handy little knife. Thick blade and durable. I use it a lot. I'd buy another if I lost it.

Funny thing. It came sharp but not razor sharp. This little bugger was the most difficult knife I've ever come across to sharpen. It's razor sharp now but it took hours. I'm pretty good at sharpening a knife too. The flip side is it stays sharp!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:57   #3
droidfire

Appreciate the input - that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

That was one of the ones I was looking at as an entry to a new manufacturer of blades. I definitely don't mind putting a little effort into it if it's a worthwhile investment, if it seems to hold the edge that's fantastic. Good to know up front.

Any other thoughts out there on SOG blades?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13   #4
Richard Simmons
American Icon

I've only got two SOG knives a Seal Team and an older SOG Tigershark. I've not used either and as far as the Tigershark I probably won't as it's an older version and still mint. That being said they are both very well made and quite nice. Just haven't had a need to use the Seal Team yet.

The Tech Bowie and Trident are two fixed blades that I have my eye one as I've heard some good review and like the way they look, just haven't bought them yet.

As far as their folders go none really appeal to me so haven't considered any of those.

Last edited by Richard Simmons; 03-06-2013 at 10:13..
Richard Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23   #5
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidfire View Post

I like SOG knives, at least the Flash models. I haven't used any others, but their designs look good. However, it's a lot easier to find a USA-made Ka bar.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10   #6
countrygun

I have aK=bars and Sogs. flash, Aura SEAL and I bought a folding lockblade semi serrated of a lesser known model for the wife.

The Flash was a gift from the wife and I really liked it and carried it for 2 years , which is almost a record for me. I usually just HAVE to try something different in 6-8 months (It got replaced by a Kershaw whirlwind mainly because the handle is more comfortable.)

The Aura was just "because" (Because I was bored it wasn't expensive and kind of a neat design), It's "OK" but no K-Bar. Now the wife's SOG has impressed me. She hasn't broken or dulled it since Xmas, and that's a record for her.

I think you have to look at both the materials and the thickness weight on the SOG fixed blades. There really are different "grades" of SOG even though they don't admit or advertise it. The "beefier" ones are nicer.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 14:47   #7
droidfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post

I think you have to look at both the materials and the thickness weight on the SOG fixed blades. There really are different "grades" of SOG even though they don't admit or advertise it. The "beefier" ones are nicer.
Valuable info - thanks!

Fixed blade is my preference.