Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-07-2013, 20:36   #1
Aceman

OAtmeal bucket questions

As I'll be getting enough Mylar to make more than one bucket (and O2 absorbers)...

#1 I'm just gonna leave 5lb rice bags "in the bag" then mylar and bucket. It will cut my cap a little, but easier and I like the unitizing factor

So, when I do the oatmeal, I'm thinking I may go with "instant" oats. Just easier to make when they opened. I would have went with Minute Rice too, except, more expensive.

Question 1: Where do I get "bulk" oatmeal? Although I'm thinking Wally World will do for the moment...

Question 2: Why even change it out from that big cylinder it is in???? I assume the answer there is "cardboard" is not good...
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:06   #2
DaneA

I just bought 50lbs of quick oatmeal from my local restaurant owner for $35. Packed it in 3 5 gallon buckets. I didn't use Mylar because it will be used in under 6 months.

Next come a bulk pack of bisquik!,

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
DaneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:27   #3
NDCent
Socially Inept

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Cereals-and-Grains?page=3
Old 03-08-2013, 06:25   #4
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

emergency essentials at beprepared.com will deliver them to your door for the price that you can pay to do it yourself.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28   #5
SFCSMITH(RET)

We get ours from a local bakery supply house. 50lb bags. Something like 1/3rd the cost of the stuff in the tubes..

We don't like "instant or quick" The difference is in how hard they roll them, thus breaking them up smaller.. so they cook faster. That is OK sometimes, but in a lot of things I want more texture, and the choice. Instant or regular, if cooking for say.. hot cereal, you bring water to boil and then steep.. the only real difference is the length of the steep time.. The time and energy is in bringing the water to a boil..
SFCSMITH(RET) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58   #6
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDCent View Post
Fwiw, sam's club sells some auguson farms items on their website www.samsclub.com, for less than you can direct-buy from auguson themselves. Sam's doesn't carry everything auguson has and I don't specifically recall seeing their oatmeal, but it'd be worth looking at.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28   #7
NDCent
Socially Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Fwiw, sam's club sells some auguson farms items on their website www.samsclub.com, for less than you can direct-buy from auguson themselves. Sam's doesn't carry everything auguson has and I don't specifically recall seeing their oatmeal, but it'd be worth looking at.
Yeppers , we buy from there,too. They're cheaper, but like you said, they only keep certain bundles and individual items in stock.
Old 03-08-2013, 15:15   #8
Aceman

This is going to sound really dumb - because it is. Talk to me about 'oats' vs 'oatmeal'
Old 03-08-2013, 16:09   #9
SFCSMITH(RET)

Oats in their whole form are called groats. Oak groats are effectively undigestible by humans. But when "rolled" or "cut", they are partly broken down physically so your body can use them.

Oatmeal is just that oats that have been rolled or cut. You can store oat groats, but to use them you need a "roller mill".. it's a uni-tasker..

Roller Mill

After rolling you separate the hulls from the grain.. eat.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:16   #10
Aceman

I want oatmeal. Preferably instat. In a bad situation, ease of use is important to me. Less has is less hassle.

I'm just easing into LT food storage, so I'm ok with that. I'll get into raw oat rollers later.

Primitive fire technique is good, but BIC > friction bow any day. Seems the same here.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36   #11
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Look inta grinders when you do.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28   #12
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
I want oatmeal. Preferably instat. In a bad situation, ease of use is important to me. Less has is less hassle.

I'm just easing into LT food storage, so I'm ok with that. I'll get into raw oat rollers later.

Primitive fire technique is good, but BIC > friction bow any day. Seems the same here.
I wholeheartedly agree, I don't store oat groats. We have oatmeal. About 100 lbs at the moment. We try to restock at about this point, keeping around 150lbs max in the basement.
I would honestly store more, but it takes up the most space of everything we bucket. (per pound) We go through about 5lbs a month in normal times..

I agree on the BIC > friction bow.. but I know how, and most importantly HAVE started fires with many primitive methods, and so have a deep arsenal of methods. Heating with a wood stove gives you plenty of chances in late Oct. and late Mar. to practice your fire starting skills. Our stove is cooling right now, won't relight until Monday night it looks like.

I will point out I have never seen instant oatmeal in 25 or 50 pound bags.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:55   #13
Donn57
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
As I'll be getting enough Mylar to make more than one bucket (and O2 absorbers)...

#1 I'm just gonna leave 5lb rice bags "in the bag" then mylar and bucket. It will cut my cap a little, but easier and I like the unitizing factor
Question for those who have experience with this sort of thing. If you leave the rice in the bag, won't the air that's in the bag stay there and defeat the purpose of the absorbers?
Donn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 13:17   #14
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn57 View Post
Question for those who have experience with this sort of thing. If you leave the rice in the bag, won't the air that's in the bag stay there and defeat the purpose of the absorbers?
If the bag is genuinely airtight, then theoretically it's possible. But hugely unlikely that it would happen. The O2 absorbers actually pull a vacuum in the environment (if you use enough of them), so it's not just latching onto whatever oxygen it comes across, it's actively drawing oxygen to itself. Any path that lets air be pulled toward it will be exploited, the oxygen being sucked out toward the absorber.

If concerned about it, a few simple pinpricks in the inner rice bags would fix any worries.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 13:44   #15
Aceman

I did intend to perforate the bags
Old 03-23-2013, 19:35   #16
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
ive been debating trying to cook up some rolled oats i buy for my horses....

so far i just buy the big boxes of oatmeal from sams club, 9lbs iirc? and store them in 1G mylar bags.
Old 03-23-2013, 21:04   #17
SFCSMITH(RET)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
ive been debating trying to cook up some rolled oats i buy for my horses....
Good luck.. Tried it several years ago. They are not rolled near as well as "Quaker Oats" and the husks and hulls are still with them.
Old 03-23-2013, 22:09   #18
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCSMITH(RET) View Post
Good luck.. Tried it several years ago. They are not rolled near as well as "Quaker Oats" and the husks and hulls are still with them.

good to know. have not received any other direct first hand knowledge from anyone else. just a bunch of pesticide scares and such. Thanks.

worst case, the horses get them anyway.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27   #19
R_W

I bought some groats and a flaker because they store longer, but cost a fair bit more. After rolling some for a test, I don't think I will ever buy oatmeal again.

Groats are de-hulled oats, which is evidently a very difficult thing to do without breaking open the groat. I have been looking for a small scale hulling machine with no success. It was easier to find hulless oats to grow.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 15:49   #20
Hummer
Big Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Thanks for the tip. Sam's carries a pretty good selection of food storage kits, Augason Farms Emergency Food Storage Kit - 1 year - 4 people. It looks like it could be a well rounded start to long term food storage, and cheaper than collecting and packaging it piecemeal.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote