SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-06-2013, 16:57   #1
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

burpees

I've decided to focus on that exercise, hoping it will be sufficient to develop and maintain a level of fitness. My primary reason for choosing burpees is they require no equipment.

Monday I did 10 sets of 5 and thought I'd die.
Today I did sets of 5,6,7,8,5,6,7,8,5,6.
Eventually I'd like to be able to do 10 sets of 10.

Any suggestions? Should I focus on speed or correct form?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 03-06-2013 at 17:22..
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 16:59   #2
cesaros

Focus on Speed and Accuracy (assuming you mean 'correct form'?)....Burpees are like any other calisthenic, do it right or you won't get much out of it.

Any 1 single exercise will be "sufficient" in maintaining mediocrity...so if thats your goal, you will soon meet it.

Mix things up...jog, swim, bike, weight lift, calisthenics...there is no 1 single exercise that will make you "fit".

The pen IS mightier than the sword; but when you run out of ink, I will be ready with plenty of ammo.

Last edited by cesaros; 03-06-2013 at 17:03..
cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 17:27   #3
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaros View Post
Focus on Speed and Accuracy (assuming you mean 'correct form'?)....

Mix things up...jog, swim, bike, weight lift, calisthenics...there is no 1 single exercise that will make you "fit".
Yes, correct form was the phrase I could not recall.

My situation is such that "mixing it up" with weights is not possible. I am under medical orders to not lift anything heavier than 40 pounds in order to reduce the potential of blowing out two iliac aneurisms.

I am on meds to control blood pressure and heart rate, which makes exercising rather challenging.

I am able to do pull/chin ups, one legged squats, push ups, etc.

Swimming is of interest but not possible. Running is out as well for personal reasons. Not keen to sit on a bike.

It's all a major suck after a lifetime of aggressive exercise, and watching my diet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 03-06-2013, 19:45   #4
California Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post

Running is out as well for personal reasons. .
I'm not usually nosy, but this is a very provocative statement. If I buy you an Isley at you favorite watering hole will you divulge?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:24   #5
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Jack View Post
I'm not usually nosy, but this is a very provocative statement. If I buy you an Isley at you favorite watering hole will you divulge?
I don't quite understand your inquiry. Are you asking if I am willing to run for an Islay dram? Perhaps. As a steady exercise though it encourages my body, which is is ectomorph, to start shedding weight. Additionally, I was told by a foot-guy that running is not the best exercise for me; stairmaster, elliptical, swimming are much better.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:53   #6
John Rambo
Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesaros View Post
Focus on Speed and Accuracy (assuming you mean 'correct form'?)....Burpees are like any other calisthenic, do it right or you won't get much out of it.
Not true. You can get some nice long-term injuries and joint problems out of it!
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:56   #7
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

I tried burpees but I couldn't get the breathing right.

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58   #8
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

I love burpee to death. I could do a 20 burpee in a row. 200 burpees in 22 minutes.

Anyway. Get in the right squat form before you jump and that really helps.

I don't know how strong your arm is, if it is strong enough; then just fall to the groud from in-air which it speeds up the burpee reps.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:13   #9
TurboRocket

I can't offer anything on form, but my suggestion is to get a tabata timer. Do you consider that equipment? I used to do races to 50, progressing up to 100, after my Muay Thai sessions - the only way I could do that is to find the right pace.

GT S&C - We know squat.
TurboRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30   #10
BCR
BIGASS!!!!

I've never done more than 10 burpees in a row that I can recall. But I used them in a circuit.

I used to do:

10 Burpees
20 sledge hammer swings
30 bodyweight squats
40 jumping jacks
drag sled 200 ft, carry sandbag 200 ft

Rest 2-3 mins, repeat 2-3 times

I think you should focus on form. Its pretty easy to hack up a burpee and not jump off the ground or throw your hands up in the air. (kinda like squatting 400lbs, but staying 4" above parallel, its bogus)

I'd mix up the intensity. Go for max reps at times, and endurance at other times with multiple sets.

Turbo had some good ideas as well.

PAIN IS MY BEST FRIEND.
BCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:03   #11
Chesafreak

I love burpees, and I add a plyometric pushup into the movement to make them more difficult. My whole workout is centered around modified burpees, kettlebells, and pullups/chinups.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21   #12
Glock30Eric
.45 ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
I love burpees, and I add a plyometric pushup into the movement to make them more difficult. My whole workout is centered around modified burpees, kettlebells, and pullups/chinups.
Same and I always jump to the highest as I could.
Glock30Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23   #13
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Eric View Post
Same and I always jump to the highest as I could.
I just started the burpees jump push up and when I jump up I do a pull up. It really gets my burn going

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42   #14
Jakestir

Im sorry to here about your health issue. My sister has a similar condition called an AVM. Its to bad you can't hit the weights. A good heavy weights program coupled with some cardio and a splash of cross fit is the best way to be strong and stay in shape.

In your situation just do as much as you can. Burpees are a great full body explosive exercise. I have done more of them than I care to remember. Mix it up when possible.

Jakestir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:51   #15
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakestir View Post
Im sorry to here about your health issue. My sister has a similar condition called an AVM. Its to bad you can't hit the weights. A good heavy weights program coupled with some cardio and a splash of cross fit is the best way to be strong and stay in shape.

In your situation just do as much as you can. Burpees are a great full body explosive exercise. I have done more of them than I care to remember. Mix it up when possible.
My father had such a severe AVM that he underwent an operation. Is your sister's being treated?

I did have a lifetime of weights and cardio, along with a lifetime of low blood pressure, good heart rate and low cholesterol. That's what makes this situation so "bizarre". I've been under quite a bit of stress for several years and I believe that's what did it, combined with the family history of heart problems. I am confident, so is my mother, I'd have been much worse off if I'd never exercised. Meanwhile I shall do the best I can.

Old 03-11-2013, 22:29   #16
Jakestir

Quote:
My father had such a severe AVM that he underwent an operation. Is your sister's being treated?

I did have a lifetime of weights and cardio, along with a lifetime of low blood pressure, good heart rate and low cholesterol. That's what makes this situation so "bizarre". I've been under quite a bit of stress for several years and I believe that's what did it, combined with the family history of heart problems. I am confident, so is my mother, I'd have been much worse off if I'd never exercised. Meanwhile I shall do the best I can.
She had a successful surgery 5 or 6 years back and all is well. She has a minor one coming up in a few weeks so here's hopping all stays that way.

Jakestir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:27   #17
hooligan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRocket View Post
I can't offer anything on form, but my suggestion is to get a tabata timer. Do you consider that equipment? I used to do races to 50, progressing up to 100, after my Muay Thai sessions - the only way I could do that is to find the right pace.
That right there is key, IMO.

Having done 100 burpees for time on more occasions that I can count, the key to your best time is finding a consistent and sustainable pace.

As you get better and better that pace will quicken.
hooligan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 13:37   #18
nam02G
Angry Bunny

Quote:
Not keen to sit on a bike.
Have you considered a recumbent bike or trike? You get the cardio workout but not the saddle soreness. My Haluzak Horizon is like riding a bike while sitting on a lawn chair. Very comfortable and easy to take long rides. If speed is a concern and you've heard how slow recumbents are, those stories are mostly exaggeration. It's the rider, not the bike. To a degree of course. A cheap Bike-E recumbent isn't going to keep up with anyone on an 18+ speed road bike. But a Bachetta Corsa will do just fine.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:09   #19
Burncycle

Burpees are an ass kicker, especially tabata burpees

Get yourself a Tabata timer (usually free app if you have a smartphone)

It's 20 seconds workout, 10 seconds rest, repeat 8 times for a total of 4 minutes exercise. Do as many burpees as you can for the 20 seconds. You can also do additional rounds with different exercises, or switch up and change the exercises for each of the 20 seconds.

There are other things you can do for those 8 rounds. For example...

(in his case, he's doing 30 seconds exercise instead of 20)

Check out some of the other videos on that channel (some of the ladies are, ah, pretty motivational!)

Last edited by Burncycle; 03-19-2013 at 12:11..
Burncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57   #20
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burncycle View Post
There are other things you can do ... For example:

http://youtu.be/UQF9JnpysR0?t=1m23s
(in his case, he's doing 30 seconds exercise instead of 20)
Interesting workout. I tried some of it.