Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:49   #1
JJKJR

Left Rear Guide

Took and Defensive Shooting class yesterday and when I returned home to clean my 23 the left rear guide was not there. The gun perfomed flawlessly during the entire class so I don't know when it happened. I keep a shooting journal and this gun has close to 9,000 trouble free rounds through it. I know a couple of years ago there were many threads on this which I'm not able to find. Would there be anyone out there that has gone through the process of getting this fixed be willing to share what they did in a post or past thread. Thanks for your responses.
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:23   #2
Scott30

Only way to fix that is a new frame. Call Glock and tell them the problem.
Scott30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24   #3
CA Escapee
Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJR View Post
Took and Defensive Shooting class yesterday and when I returned home to clean my 23 the left rear guide was not there. The gun perfomed flawlessly during the entire class so I don't know when it happened. I keep a shooting journal and this gun has close to 9,000 trouble free rounds through it. I know a couple of years ago there were many threads on this which I'm not able to find. Would there be anyone out there that has gone through the process of getting this fixed be willing to share what they did in a post or past thread. Thanks for your responses.
I'm trying to understand what you mean by the "left rear guide."

You wouldn't mean the left rear frame rail would you?

Bill
CA Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27   #4
JBnTX
JB in Tx

I was once told that the rear frame rails were one piece of metal that wrapped around the rear of the frame? Maybe I was told wrong?

How could one side be missing without significant damage to the frame?

Last edited by JBnTX; 03-10-2013 at 09:32..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:30   #5
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Yup, send it home to Smyrna, Glock will replace the frame for you (assuming it just broke during normal use as compared to having been abused or altered).

What's the prefix of the guns serial number?

One of the things about Glocks that I find to be really impressive is how often they keep working after they break!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

U.S. Army-MNNG 73-83 95 Bravo
NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35   #6
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch View Post
Yup, send it home to Smyrna, Glock will replace the frame for you (assuming it just broke during normal use as compared to having been abused or altered).

What's the prefix of the guns serial number?

One of the things about Glocks that I find to be really impressive is how often they keep working after they break!
Yes, PREFIX of the S/N, please. That seemed to be the failure mode of the Glocks with the "Exx xxx (E) in the S/N.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:35   #7
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I've always thought that the rear frame rails were one piece of metal that wrapped around the rear of the frame?

Just a guess but what I understand metal fatigue is the most likely culprit. Assuming it isn't a E series frame subject to possible upgrade,because Glock doesn't do recalls. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:41   #8
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I was once told that the rear frame rails were one piece of metal that wrapped around the rear of the frame? Maybe I was told wrong?

Some years back a quantity of frame rails were made that were not in spec and resulted in breakage. The part of the one piece part that sticks out of the frame that the slide ride on would break off.

The frame itself isn't actually damaged, but with the part molded into the frame when it was made, there's no way to fix it other then replacing the frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Life Member
When wondering who's advise to consider, check their profile to see if they have posted anything about their training or experience.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43   #9
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Took and Defensive Shooting class yesterday and when I returned home to clean my 23 the left rear guide was not there...
Can you give us more information?
What do you mean by "not there"?

I'm always paranoid about any damage that might also happen to my Glocks.

Last edited by JBnTX; 03-10-2013 at 09:45..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12   #10
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Here's a picture of a broken frame rail I found on the web....

General Glocking

NRA Life Member
Old 03-10-2013, 10:35   #11
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.

Last edited by kirgi08; 03-10-2013 at 10:37..
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59   #12
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

I made the same picture a touch easier to see....
General Glocking

And an unbroken one for comparison.
General Glocking

NRA Life Member
Old 03-10-2013, 12:08   #13
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Here's a picture showing the part of the one piece rear frame rail unit that you can't see, the part that's molded inside the frame. The frame from this one was burned away.

General Glocking

NRA Life Member
Old 03-10-2013, 12:36   #14
mongo356

I cannot remember where I found the picture but here is the frame rails & serial plate no molding.

Last edited by mongo356; 04-23-2013 at 11:43..
mongo356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:43   #15
JBP55

As said before Glock will replace the receiver unless the pistol was abused in some way other than shooting such as driving over it with heavy equipment.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 13:37   #16
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356 View Post
I cannot remember where I found the picture but here is the frame rails & serial plate no molding.
Excellent! I've been looking for a picture like that!

General Glocking

NRA Life Member
Old 03-10-2013, 15:04   #17
JJKJR

I had to be away from my computer for a bit. Thanks for all your kind replies. It is indeed the left rear frame rail and it looks exactly like the picture that Butch posted. What I mean by it's not there, is just like in Butch's picture it appears like it was sheared off. I would think metal fatigue of the frame rail like SJ 40 said probably summarizes it the best. The S/N is ELG***US. The pistol has never been abused and I've always shot factory ammo. I'll call Smyrna, GA tomorrow and get the ball rolling. I have a few questions
1) should I send the frame with all the components or strip it?
2) for those who had the frame replaced how has having different S/N's for the frame and slide affected the value of the pistol.

Thanks, JJKJR
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:16   #18
jmb79

Value of the pistol? It's a Glock. Used, they're all worth about the same and your run-of-the-mill G23 will not be worth any more or less if the frame number doesn't match the number on the barrel and slide.
jmb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 15:32   #19
Butch
CLM Number 29
RetiredDinosaur

Quote:
The S/N is ELG***US.
Yup, call Glock. You may still have the option of getting a new frame with the original serial number but with a 1 prefix. The down side to it would be that they'd have to make it (more turn around time) vs a replacement frame they might have on hand.

General Glocking

NRA Life Member
Old 03-10-2013, 16:39   #20
CA Escapee
Finally!

I guess you're in the 0.0188%. Here's the official statement from Glock way back when. Interestingly enough, my G21 with an EVAXXX s/n wasn't included in the upgrade.

The last paragraph was added by someone on another bulletin board.

Bill

2002 Frame Upgrade – Rear slide rail

The GLOCK Corporation has identified a problem with a very small percentage of GLOCK pistols produced between September of 2001 and May of 2002. The specific problem that has been identified is the potential of breaking a rear frame rail in pistols manufactured during this time period. Within the specific range the breakage rate has been less than 0.0188%. So, while the actual percentage of rails reported broken is within any accepted manufacturing tolerance, it is not an acceptable situation to the GLOCK Corporation. It is also important to note that under most conditions GLOCK pistols will continue to function with three rails. A routine maintenance check after each time the pistol has been taken out and used would immediately indicate if there is a problem.

We are, therefore, concerned that a limited number of customers will not get the product we have promised them and what we have always delivered, the very best pistol on the market, in short, a GLOCK.

For these reasons, we have made the decision that in the interest of customer service, replacement frames will be offered to anyone who has a firearm in this range and decides to take advantage of this offer. The replacement frames will have identical serial numbers to our customer's original firearm except the numeral 1 will be added as a prefix. If you believe your firearm is within this range, please call 1-866-225-4098 to take advantage of the ultimate in customer service.

Nothing less than the best for our customers is acceptable to GLOCK and, as always, we will continue to work towards Perfection.

It appears that only serial numbers starting with "E", "GSSF", or "USA" (American Hero’s Commemoratives) are affected. In general, the chronological serial number set that has the prefix letters of "EKA" through "EVR" inclusive appear to be the affected Glocks, regardless of caliber. Three letters precede three numbers on a plate forward of the trigger guard on the underside of the polymer frame. However, some aberrations to this generalization have been reported by GTers. Reports are that the affected Glocks were manufactured from September 2001 to May 2002. So if you bought (or won a GSSF Glock) an "E" or "USA" series Glock in September of 2001 up until the present day, you might have an affected Glock.

Last edited by CA Escapee; 03-10-2013 at 16:43..
CA Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote