SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-08-2013, 16:10   #1
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1 pound propane cylinders, long term storage

1 pound propane cylinders, long term storage. Say in a garage. Timetable?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 16:56   #2
quake

Until they rust, basically. I have some between 10-20 years old, kept in a non-climate-controlled shop (freezing in winter, 100+ degrees in summer) with no issues.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49   #3
pugman

Don't know about 1#'ers but I can comment on 20's.

A friend works for a propane delivery company and started three years ago; he replaced a route driver who had been with the company ten.

This company also refills/stocks those propane exchange centers you see outside places like Walgreens or maybe a convenience store.

My buddy came to find out this guy never rotated cylinders. Some of the ones he pulled out of storage lockers had been there 5 years.

The lockers are those mesh type ones-not completely out of the elements but they get weatherized. Wisconsin winters, rain, summers with 100 degree heat.

All the seals were good; all held their pressure. He bought a couple from the company for basically nothing and we grilled all last summer with practically free gas.

I have 6 20# tanks in my garage right now; all bought new with the newest version of the coupling. Some of those are easily 5-6 years old. Again, Wisconsin weather in a non climate controlled garage--no problems ever with any of them.

Last edited by pugman; 03-09-2013 at 07:50..
pugman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41   #4
kirbinster

I don't know, this past summer I grabbed one from my workshop and it was totally empty - I know I did not put it there that way. The shrader valves do leak over time, just like with tires.
kirbinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:44   #5
Stevekozak
Returning video

I have been wondering about this. I have had some that were kept in climate controlled environment that I used 10 years later, no problem. Now I have my 1 pounders stored in non climate controlled garage. I am not worried about the winter, but am wondering about the heat tht will build up in there in the Arizona summer.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:57   #6
Syclone538

As long as they don't leak, until the seal falls apart or rust eats through it. If in a basement, I'd say longer then any of us.

off topic

If I used the 1 lbs tanks much, I'd probably refill them myself. Having at different times/places filled 9 to 24 oz CO2 tanks, and 20 to 100 lbs propane tanks, it can't be hard to do.
do lot nam do boi nu xe day cac loai ban buon quan ao vest cong so nu chup anh cho be
Have an accurate scale, and don't overfill. Don't forget to account for the weight of the adapter on the tank you are filling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Quote:
The constitution is not, nor was it meant to be absolutely literal.

Last edited by Syclone538; 05-15-2013 at 05:52..
Syclone538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:05   #7
NC Bullseye

Using one now that is 25+ years old and has been connected and disconnected several times over the years. Kept is garages between FL and NC. No climate control in either.
NC Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:40   #8
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
I don't know, this past summer I grabbed one from my workshop and it was totally empty - I know I did not put it there that way. The shrader valves do leak over time, just like with tires.
Yep, I had a whole case of them still wrapped in the plastic, all empty after several years of storage.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 13:03   #9
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
Yep, I had a whole case of them still wrapped in the plastic, all empty after several years of storage.
I had one leak in my truck on the way home from a camping trip. Not fun!
Old 03-09-2013, 13:41   #10
quake

Huh. I'd never experience a failed canister, but the replies in this thread got me wondering. I didn't go thru everything, but cut open & checked the top three cases and all good to go. Brands were Gerett, Ozark Trail and Bernzomatic. Bernzomatics are the tall cans, the others are the shorter squatty ones. Thirty-three cans in all (since top case was already open & being used from), all seem fine.

Course, now I may have jinxed myself...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...

Last edited by quake; 03-09-2013 at 13:43.. Reason: edit for tpyo's
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 17:56   #11
Hummer
Big Member

I have about 70 one pound cylinders that have been refilled 1-3 times. They are stored in my garage and hunting trailer, hot in summer, cold in winter. I carefully check for leaks when they are refilled. Never had one leak in storage. Most are Coleman brand, up to 25 yrs old.

Reminds me, I need to refill about 40 of them now. If I can't get them to seal completely when I refill, I leave them outside to bleed off, then toss them in the metal scrap bin.

Clint Eastwood
August 30, 2012
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 18:07   #12
jdavionic
NRA Member

I have some that are 15 yrs old. Work fine and no leaks.

"No matter how bad it gets, if you're still alive it's just another bad day."
jdavionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 19:56   #13
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mine have been in non-climate controlled storage in Georgia for about 5 years, on average, and some 7 years or more. Haven't used any of them.

Next question: Any safety issues to using them if they may have leaked or had a leak? Is there a noticeable odor if it is actively leaking?

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 20:18   #14
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Mine have been in non-climate controlled storage in Georgia for about 5 years, on average, and some 7 years or more. Haven't used any of them.

Next question: Any safety issues to using them if they may have leaked or had a leak? Is there a noticeable odor if it is actively leaking?
You will smell them if they leak much in an enclosed space. They have the typical propane smell.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:34   #15
Babynine

I just wanted to point out that with storing a pressurized explosive fuel, if there is a problem it just may be a BIG problem. 5 or 6 years ago a house in Madison exploded with such force it knocked the neighboring homes off their foundations, and blew out windows of multiple homes across the street more than 150ft away. I believe it was a single 20lb propane tank that did it, at least that is what was reported.

I know most don't store the stuff in their homes, but even a garage, attached or not could be an issue. Denatured alcohol seems to be a much safer cooking fuel to store as it not explosive.
Old 03-10-2013, 16:56   #16
dissthis
Gun Fan

Only time I have trouble with them is they tend to leak from attaching them and un-attaching them to stoves or lanterns...last camping this happened to two.

dissthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:03   #17
dougader

I worked on a propane tank explosion case about six years ago. It is possible to overfill the older tanks. Fill outside in cold then take inside a warm house and they will blow, and if there is an open flame people will be burned very badly.

I've seen the pictures and the scars, and it's something I wouldn't wish on almost anyone.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson

Last edited by dougader; 03-10-2013 at 21:36..
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 21:07   #18
Aceman

Good tip - stock in the summer!
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 21:24   #19
dougader

The problem is the tank was seriously overfilled. The expert witness on the case testified that the pressure reached in the neighborhood of 800,000 psi for those seals to blow.

"In St. Louis, armed Homeland Security agents monitored Tea Party members protesting the IRS. Good idea. When people think their government is out to get them, the best response is to send the government out to get them." -Fred Thompson
dougader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47   #20
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership

I store 1lb canisters to run a camping stove, buddy heater, and torches from time to time.

As long as the seals remain in tact, you are good to go. I've used 20yo canisters without problems.

The cheapest place I've found them locally is Lowes. 4 canisters for $6 and change IIRC.