Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:52   #1
Knighj1

Black blade or regular on benchmade?

Owners chime in, I am looking at a new knife(benchmade afo II).
I currently have black handle silver blade(and blade still looks great after years) and was contemplating getting the black on black.
My concern/question, is how will the black on the knife look with use? Will it hold up? I am not hard on knifes, but also not easy. Your input

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchma...K-AFO-II--3102
Knighj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:56   #2
FSHNFVR

I like the look of the black but mine does show wear. For me it's a tool not a collector.
FSHNFVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 13:24   #3
Knighj1

Yea same for me, but I don't want it looked old and worn 6 months in, when my other knife looks great years in
Old 03-10-2013, 14:27   #4
Breadman03

Send a message via Skype™ to Breadman03
I have a Cold Steel Recon Tanto with a black blade. I really haven't used it much, but the few times I have has left it with several scuffs. Honestly, I don't think the black finish will look good very long. I consider it a way to minimize shiny objects in a combat scenario.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Wants a G41
Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:09   #5
Knighj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
I have a Cold Steel Recon Tanto with a black blade. I really haven't used it much, but the few times I have has left it with several scuffs. Honestly, I don't think the black finish will look good very long. I consider it a way to minimize shiny objects in a combat scenario.
good point, Im not military or law enforcement, so I dont really need it for the tacticool look, I just prefer the look of the black over the silver, but want it to look as good as possible for as long.

But the handles are black and metal, so they are also going to show wear, so it may not matter
Old 03-11-2013, 10:49   #6
boomchakabowwow

I have both black and regular benchmades. My black blades look tattered. But I don't mind it. Silver looks perfect.
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:44   #7
Bren
NRA Life Member

I don't care for black blades. They don't really serve a purpose and show scratches and wear worse, plus they are so common to cheap-o ninja knives that they make even a nice knife look cheap, IMO.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 14:39   #8
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

I vote for no coatings for the same reasons mentioned above.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:06   #9
NMOFT

I've got a Benchmade with a black blade and I'd rather have it w/o the black coating.
NMOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:11   #10
moonwilson

Blade coating on stainless blades serves no purpose other than to make the knife look stupid. And sometimes to cover up sloppy grinding. Given the choice, I will pick uncoated, plain edge blades every time.
moonwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:29   #11
itstime

My vote is you will be happier with the silver. Black is cool but you always look at it to see how much of it is left.
itstime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 15:52   #12
BenjiEDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
I don't care for black blades. They don't really serve a purpose and show scratches and wear worse, plus they are so common to cheap-o ninja knives that they make even a nice knife look cheap, IMO.
I agree on all points.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 16:57   #13
Racefan

Benchmade claims the BK1 black coating aids corrosion resistance, especially around saltwater. "Stainless" steel will stain and corrode - are the naysayers discounting this claim?

(I have no knowledge either way - truly interested in the responses, but I do have an Olive Drab/D2 black Griptillian that I like a lot)

Last edited by Racefan; 03-11-2013 at 17:00..
Racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:20   #14
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racefan View Post
Benchmade claims the BK1 black coating aids corrosion resistance, especially around saltwater. "Stainless" steel will stain and corrode - are the naysayers discounting this claim?

(I have no knowledge either way - truly interested in the responses, but I do have an Olive Drab/D2 black Griptillian that I like a lot)
There is better steel for those conditions Benchmade uses X15 T.N. Stainless Steel ans Spyderco uses H1.

Paint is paint and I don't prefer it on knives given the option.

Last edited by syntaxerrorsix; 03-11-2013 at 17:21..
Old 03-11-2013, 18:29   #15
NMOFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racefan View Post

Mine is an Adamas 275 and the coating is scratched and getting thin in places, so I don't know how effective it would be in a salt water environment. I agree that using different steel would be better than a coating. The D2 steel that BM uses seems to be pretty corrosion resistant anyway. I suspect that the coating on my Adamas blade is mostly for looks because D2 doesn't polish up very well.
Old 03-11-2013, 18:43   #16
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMOFT View Post
Mine is an Adamas 275 and the coating is scratched and getting thin in places, so I don't know how effective it would be in a salt water environment. I agree that using different steel would be better than a coating. The D2 steel that BM uses seems to be pretty corrosion resistant anyway. I suspect that the coating on my Adamas blade is mostly for looks because D2 doesn't polish up very well.
D2 steel isn't very stain resistant at all. 12% Chromium can be blamed for this.

Old 03-11-2013, 18:56   #17
NMOFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntaxerrorsix View Post
D2 steel isn't very stain resistant at all. 12% Chromium can be blamed for this.

My knife gets wet and the blade dosen't rust, so maybe the black coatong does some good.
Old 03-11-2013, 19:07   #18
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMOFT View Post
My knife gets wet and the blade dosen't rust, so maybe the black coatong does some good.
I'm sure it helps, keeping it clean and dry with a light coat of oil will help much in the same way. I like it okay but it can be brittle and is very sensitive to heat treat. I'd rather have O1 or another tough carbon steels over the limited stain resistance gained from D2. I think the only knife I have left that is D2 is the BM Bone Collector folder in walnut.

It's all about what you need the steel to do divided by what knife you want

Old 03-11-2013, 19:16   #19
Knighj1

Thanks guys, the plus to the plain blade is they have it in stock. I appreciate all the input
Old 03-11-2013, 20:04   #20
BenjiEDF

154CM is awesome steel, as long as you don't bury it in your backyard for a year it'll be ok (read: just clean it off with some oil like you would any gun every once and a while). The ONLY steel that I would prefer over 154CM for a folding pocket knife would be S30V.

"Life is good" ~Hickok45
BenjiEDF is offline   Reply With Quote