SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-09-2013, 13:55   #1
bentbiker
NRA Member

Glock's Position on Ammo

"Glock suggests using ammunition that is manufactured and meets SAAMI or industry specifications. If you are not sure the ammunition brand or type you choose is safe for use, call the ammunition manufacturer and ask if the product meets SAAMI guidelines before using it in you firearm. Some +P ammunition meets these guidelines, +P+ normally does not. This ammunition may generate a higher pressure over the standard loadings, and may shorten the component life of your firearm."

Last edited by bentbiker; 03-09-2013 at 13:55..
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:50   #2
Catshooter

Is this a public service announcement, or did you actually have a point?

Cat
Old 03-10-2013, 20:03   #3
whip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post

Cat
I think the point is not to use unapproved ammo in your firearm.
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 20:07   #4
Doughnutman_923

Send a message via Yahoo to Doughnutman_923
Exactly! I ran 100 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 185gr +P through my G21 yesterday. 8-9 rounds out of every mag either landed on my arms or in the hood of my jacket, but it ran flawlessly so I'm good to go.......but my wallet, not so much. lol
Old 03-10-2013, 22:55   #5
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
Glock suggests using ammunition that is manufactured and meets SAAMI or industry specifications.
So do all of the other firearms manufacturers.

Nothing new here.
Old 03-10-2013, 23:50   #6
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
Since 99% posts answering whether it is OK to use even +P+, say "Absolutely fine," I thought some might appreciate seeing what Glock actually says. Sorry you aren't among the "some."
Old 03-11-2013, 17:45   #7
Catshooter

Well then there was a purpose in your post after all! Good on you. Now we know.

Cat
Old 03-11-2013, 17:52   #8
Direwolf131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnutman_923 View Post
Exactly! I ran 100 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 185gr +P through my G21 yesterday. 8-9 rounds out of every mag either landed on my arms or in the hood of my jacket, but it ran flawlessly so I'm good to go.......but my wallet, not so much. lol
The G21 is notorious for spitting brass right back at the shooter. Oftentimes, or at least historically, the best solution was to run hotter ammo. That has all changed with the advent of all the ejection and feed issues associated with, but not limited to the Gen4 Glocks.
Old 03-11-2013, 20:06   #9
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Thanks for the post. My son-in-law recently bought a revolver for my daughter, the manufacturer said absolutely no +P ammo in it.
Old 03-11-2013, 23:26   #10
bentbiker
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
Thanks for the post. My son-in-law recently bought a revolver for my daughter, the manufacturer said absolutely no +P ammo in it.
Was she anticipating the need to penetrate windshields and barriers like the police? Is that why she even considered using +P? There is a revolver out there that when chambered in .357 Mag shoots the .357 cartridge but the felt recoil is that normally associated with the .38 Spl.

Last edited by bentbiker; 03-11-2013 at 23:27..
Old 03-12-2013, 18:05   #11
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Quote:
Was she anticipating the need to penetrate windshields and barriers like the police? Is that why she even considered using +P? There is a revolver out there that when chambered in .357 Mag shoots the .357 cartridge but the felt recoil is that normally associated with the .38 Spl.
Actually, she's an Army combat medic. I'd rather she shoot. When a guy just wont take no for an answer she announces her m.o.s. and tells him she can kill him in dozens of ways, bring him back to life, and repeat the cycle till she's bored with him. But we digress.

Last edited by Paul53; 03-12-2013 at 18:06..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 18:28   #12
scattershot

Quote:
Actually, she's an Army combat medic. I'd rather she shoot. When a guy just wont take no for an answer she announces her m.o.s. and tells him she can kill him in dozens of ways, bring him back to life, and repeat the cycle till she's bored with him. But we digress.

LOL! Not a lady to mess with!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 18:51   #13
tonyparson

I called Glock about shooting +P+ ammo in my G19 and the guy I talked to said he see's no problem with it. I've shoot a few hundred rounds through my Glock with no problem.
Old 03-12-2013, 18:52   #14
Walter Bishop

Uuhh?? In 38 special the +P ammo is the "normal" round. Almost nobody uses standard pressure for self defense.

Quote:
Walter Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:23   #15
Green Mountain Boy

Quote:
God Bless Her

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NECC #64
Green Mountain Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 19:54   #16
chemboy

I do shoot +p+ ammo out of my G19, but a very small fraction of the 15,000 rds I have through the weapon.
Although I certainly agree that +P+ rounds will stress the pistol more than the standard or +P rounds I still carry the +P+ in my G19 when serving as my CCW.
For one, I don't think that shooting 400 or 500 rds of the very hot stuff a year is going to make much difference in a pistol that has gone over half a million rounds(of standard and perhaps NATO pressure levels) in testing?
Secondly, I really like the G19,and it does seem that the faster loadings in the 9X19 have a better stopping/incapacitation record when used on two-legged animals.
If I had to use standard pressure 9X19 as my CCW load, I probably would run a 357 SIG or 40 SW instead.

YMMV.

Current Glocks: 19,26,20SF,29SF, 21Gen4,23Gen4,32Gen4
AA 22lr conversion kit for G20.

Last edited by chemboy; 03-12-2013 at 19:59..
chemboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 20:45   #17
tonyparson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemboy View Post
I do shoot +p+ ammo out of my G19, but a very small fraction of the 15,000 rds I have through the weapon.
Although I certainly agree that +P+ rounds will stress the pistol more than the standard or +P rounds I still carry the +P+ in my G19 when serving as my CCW.
For one, I don't think that shooting 400 or 500 rds of the very hot stuff a year is going to make much difference in a pistol that has gone over half a million rounds(of standard and perhaps NATO pressure levels) in testing?
Secondly, I really like the G19,and it does seem that the faster loadings in the 9X19 have a better stopping/incapacitation record when used on two-legged animals.
If I had to use standard pressure 9X19 as my CCW load, I probably would run a 357 SIG or 40 SW instead.

YMMV.
I agree. ☝☝☝☝☝
Old 03-12-2013, 20:53   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Bishop View Post
Uuhh?? In 38 special the +P ammo is the "normal" round. Almost nobody uses standard pressure for self defense.
When I carry my 20 year-old no +P airweight J-Frame I still carry standard pressure Federal Nyclads. Not a bad stopper from what I've read, at least for a standard .38 cartridge.
Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 21:21   #19
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

.40 +P? That's kind of funny/lame considering that .40 is already technically a +P to begin with, and a 185 grain bullet is on the heavy side for the .40. l would be concerned that an eventual anomaly in the ammo production line (which do happen) could cause a pressure spike that could kB the gun. Also, the timing of the gun is not set up for loads like that, either. Personally, i wouldn't run them. That's what my 10mm's are for.

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Official AGripô Manufacturer Website

AGripô Installation Video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:52   #20
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Bishop View Post
^ This